Why become a member? ×

In search of dirt

sk8

I've done a lot of searching and research on here and YouTube etc but fancy a change

I've recently been relying on my wren and cuff box of war for my dirt needs having junked my OD for pedalboard real estate but I'm missing it. As much as I love the fuzz I'd like some light and shade to go with it.

My go to OD pedal was a TS808 monte allum modded SD1 which I had on my board for years and was what I tended to measure other OD's against. I'm not after a low gain OD, I want something with balls and probably verging on distortion. I've had the following

TS9B bass tubescreamer - not enough gain
TS808 Clone - not enough gain
Mad Professor blueberry bass OD - to dark
EBS metal Drive - very similar to the SD1 but didn't float my boat
DHA VT1 Eq Bass Drive - didn't really like the OD
subdecay super nova drive - something missing although a great pedal
Catalinbread SFT
Aguila Agro
SFX red Dragon - to low gain
TC rottweiller - to flabby on bass at higher settings
TC dark matter
TC Nova System
Crowther audio Prunes and custard
Tech 21 VT bass

Think that's it!

I'm thinking a main contender is the Dark glass B3k/B7k and the Joyo ultimate drive. I'm not after tube breakup necessarily but I'm not discounting it. The Nova drive could be another option.

Looking for some ideas. Thanks in advance

I wouldn't bother with the B3K and just try out the B7K if you can afford it. Blows me away every time I stand on it, but there are those who don't like it as it sounds too metallic etc. I do, however, think the EQ is essential to the tone.

You could also have a look at the Cog knightfall, which is a quality unit!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1389256484' post='2331869']
I wouldn't bother with the B3K and just try out the B7K if you can afford it. Blows me away every time I stand on it, but there are those who don't like it as it sounds too metallic etc. I do, however, think the EQ is essential to the tone.

You could also have a look at the Cog knightfall, which is a quality unit!
[/quote]

Yeah I was heading for the 7 and forgot about the KnightFall

I did this video of stacking various Fuzzrocious drives if it helps, some of my fave drives ever:

http://youtu.be/WSL9jALcHNk

I'd also post the video of the COG Knightfall 66 I did, however might not be gainy enough, although sure Tom could sort you out :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1389256599' post='2331872']
I did this video of stacking various Fuzzrocious drives if it helps, some of my fave drives ever:

http://youtu.be/WSL9jALcHNk

I'd also post the video of the COG Knightfall 66 I did, however might not be gainy enough, although sure Tom could sort you out :)

Si
[/quote]

Cheers Si :)

Think I found the KnightFall 66 demo on you tube

Another vote for the COG Knightfall, and I'm sure Tom could do something with diode selection (like the Knightfall 66) that would give you the gain range you desire!

Also, have you ever tried an OCD or Fizzrocious Oh See Demon? Great sounding overdrives that are bright, modern, and can get highly saturated if you desire...

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1389279552' post='2332275']
I'm all about stacking 2-3 drive pedals to get the right character.[/quote]

Stacking is great, though you'd probably need an ISP Decimator or some sort of noise clamp in there if you do more than two (especially high gain), or they'll scream like a banshee!