Why become a member? ×

Demise of my first band

seashell

Well, it had to come in the end. We had been growing apart and we didn't have much in common any more. There had been the occasional arguments, but in the end the split was quite amicable. We felt it was time for us all to be free to meet other bands. So we decided to call it a day. I've got custody of the drummer.

Alas Spectrum, the first band that would ever have me, is no more. Drummer and I are in another band anyway. We'd both been thinking we'd quite like to split, but we didn't want to let down the guitarist as he is a nice chap. But luckily for everyone, it was the guitarist who told us yesterday that he didn't want to carry on. Singer had one foot out of the door anyway as he is also a performance poet, and that had been taking up loads of his time recently.

I'll always look back on Spectrum with great fondness. We were a band of limited talents, and a somewhat ill matched little foursome. But I am so grateful to the guys for giving me my first 'break'. It's not everyone who would have taken on on a middle aged woman who had only been playing for just over a year.

However, onwards and upwards for 2014! Drummer and I can really concentrate on the other band now. :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1389095983' post='2329765']
If you got a drummer you enjoy playing with then it looks like you're the winner. :D

[/quote]

Yes, I'm really lucky. We both started playing about the same time, so when we joined Spectrum we were both quite new. But neither of us was letting on to that at the time! I think we've been gradually improving together which has been great. :)

Indeed, surprisingly, this turned out to be a rather good read after all.
Well done, Shell and guys, for splitting amicably. Good luck with the other band!
And those above are right, I think: a bass/drums duo that works well together can conquer the world.

You could help Mark with Poland this saturday. :)

Edited by BassTractor

FWIW I saw Shelley briefly play with both bands at a jam session and I thought from the off that the one that is carrying on looked a far more commercially giggable proposition than the one that has folded. For someone who hasn't been drumming that long (though I know naff all about drumming god knows I've played with a few in my time) I thought he did a sterling job last time I saw you all play. As said before if you can develope together and become a tight unit that's half the battle in a band.

Best of luck with the remaining band. It's all part of the rock and roll circus. Re your comment about being gratefull about them taking on a middle aged woman etc, I'm sure they wouldn't have had you not been up to the job. Don't sell yourself short and rock on.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1389083711' post='2329595']
However, onwards and upwards for 2014! Drummer and I can really concentrate on the other band now. :)
[/quote]
A shame...but nothing stays the same forever. The only universal constant is change.

You have a great attitude though, enjoy the journey!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1389083711' post='2329595']
Well, it had to come in the end. We had been growing apart and we didn't have much in common any more. There had been the occasional arguments, but in the end the split was quite amicable. We felt it was time for us all to be free to meet other bands. So we decided to call it a day. I've got custody of the drummer.

Alas Spectrum, the first band that would ever have me, is no more. Drummer and I are in another band anyway. We'd both been thinking we'd quite like to split, but we didn't want to let down the guitarist as he is a nice chap. But luckily for everyone, it was the guitarist who told us yesterday that he didn't want to carry on. Singer had one foot out of the door anyway as he is also a performance poet, and that had been taking up loads of his time recently.

I'll always look back on Spectrum with great fondness. We were a band of limited talents, and a somewhat ill matched little foursome. But I am so grateful to the guys for giving me my first 'break'. It's not everyone who would have taken on on a middle aged woman who had only been playing for just over a year.

[/quote]

Spectrum? That drummers name isn't Billy Cobham by any chance? He must challenging to play with!

I just hope you don't let this parting of the ways push you over the edge Shelly. I know it is tempting to go down the route of nihilistic rock and roll excess and try and lose yourself in cheap lambrusco and toy boys , but before you know it you could end up just another has-been rummaging through bins near Kings Cross and muttering to yourself.

I know Ozzy went off the rails big time after he split with Sabbath, and I would hate to see you go the same way, Shelly. Think of me as your Sharon, here to save you from yourself and guide you to future success beyond your wildest dreams. To that ends, I think you and Space Chick should form a girl group with two bass players and call it Shelly's Atomic Dustbin .

Edited by Dingus