Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Signature Basses That Don't Exist...But Should

Freddy Le Cragg

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1388690001' post='2324929']
Sorry if this has been done but what "famous" bass guitars would you dig if you could get a company to release a replica?

I think mine would be this fella

Leo Lyons 1962 Jazz Bass. Sublime
[/quote]
Do you just mean a 62 Jazz or do you mean relicked to look like that?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1388691097' post='2324950']
In what way are these Fender basses any different from any other Fender bass from the same year?
[/quote]

For the most part none whatsoever! I'm just surprised they don't make them already considering some of the artists they mass produce signature basses for. The Flea replica would be interesting as far as I know they don't currently do a stackknob '61 jazz reissue in the same price range as say the geddy lee or mike dirnt basses, and the Paul Simonon would have a black headstock and DiMarzios as standard.

Besides, the Geddy Lee sig, one of their more popular ones currently, is just a '73 reissue with a Badass II and a squiggly line on the back of the headstock... doesn't stop it being a great bass though :) It's not always so much the player as the era it conjures up

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1388691193' post='2324952']
Without wanting to be a party pooper I think that there are already far too many signature basses on the market...especially Fender models.
[/quote]
[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1388691525' post='2324963']
Agreed that there are a heck of a lot of Fender sigs out there already though!
[/quote]
The reason for that will be related to the number of Fender users.

TBH I can't really see the point of the majority of Fender signature basses, unless the originals have been heavily modified to suit their owners requirements in which case I would image the market would be fairly limited, especially in the current conservative climate regarding musical instruments.

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1388690001' post='2324929']
Sorry if this has been done but what "famous" bass guitars would you dig if you could get a company to release a replica?

I think mine would be this fella

Leo Lyons 1962 Jazz Bass. Sublime
[/quote]

Wow, Leo Lyons! I was recently watching a documentary with him in it from 1970 called "Groupie", and wondering what happened to the girls featured in it. They must be in their sixties now, if they are still alive .

Didn't the Bass Centre come out with a Leo Lyons Signature model quite recently?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1388691855' post='2324971']
TBH I can't really see the point of the majority of Fender signature basses, unless the originals have been heavily modified to suit their owners requirements in which case I would image the market would be fairly limited, especially in the current conservative climate regarding musical instruments.
[/quote]
I'd agree with this. The few exceptions will be at least slightly out of the ordinary like, maybe, the Tony Franklin fretless Precision with P/J set up and unlined ebony board.

A Jamerson Sig, for example, would just be a 62 reissue.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1388691855' post='2324971']
[/quote]

The point of them is to fire up the imagination of the bass - buying public and encourage them to keep buying Fender basses by using the power of association.

Owning two sig basses, I actually feel mixed about them. In principle, I find the idea of owning a replica of someone else's bass odd (unless you're in a tribute band or a HUGE fan!) so I went for the whole 'go in and try as many as possible and buy the one that is best!' idea. Both times that turned out to be the signature model. There isn't a jazz bass I've played with a neck quite like the Geddy. For me, I loved it and wouldn't have had that profile on a standard production model.

Similarly, I went for the Nate Mendel precision because the neck profile is so different to the other standard precision neck profiles and the addition of the bad ass bridge, quarter pounder and nitro finish swung it.

I suppose the feel and sound rather than the signature on the headstock made the decision for me.

Bruce Foxton & JJ Burnell Fender Precision - though both can really be covered by a black/black/maple US Standard. Would just be nice to see the pair of them recognised by Fender for really bringing the Precision up front in the mix (plus having some great chops as well). Think there may have been a Fender JJ at some point iirc?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1388693366' post='2325002']
Bruce Foxton & JJ Burnell Fender Precision - though both can really be covered by a black/black/maple US Standard. Would just be nice to see the pair of them recognised by Fender for really bringing the Precision up front in the mix (plus having some great chops as well). Think there may have been a Fender JJ at some point iirc?
[/quote]
I thought JJ went with Shuker because Fender wouldn't do him a sig bass???

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1388694197' post='2325027']
I think Aria already do a Cliff Burton type bass but it is not a signature bass or am I wrong?
[/quote]
If you've got the money. They've got the bass. :D
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13012210272519