Why become a member? ×

Everyones An Expert.

Mr Stinky

Thanks for all the comments and reply suggestions.

I like the angle of 'I'm playing and he isn't'. That's a great confidence builder. Tush was one of the first songs i ever learnt and one of the few i can play without looking.
There's always going to be a fingering issue with my playing, i sustained ligament damage, to my left pinky, in a fight many many years ago and it won't stretch out sideways. My ring finger tends to cover middle and pinky.

I did try and avoid him. He was a pleasant enough guy, but i think he saw me as his best mate for the evening. Altogether now. 'Me...and... my shaaaaaadow.'

At the end of the evening, three things had occurred:- I was paid. I had a laugh. They shouted for more. I'm happy with that.

Another disappointment was that i wasn't told to turn down. I must seriously adjust my atitude. :lol: :lol:

Edited by Mr Stinky

[quote name='Mr Stinky' timestamp='1388421644' post='2321799']
Another disappointment was that i wasn't told to turn down. I must seriously adjust my atitude. :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

ah there now you see if you had tasked your new friend to go stand further back in the venue and give you some finger signalling :P he could have checked your sound level/balance for you because you cant hear the full developed sound and volume of your cab when you're stood right next to it :D

You get them occasionally. Usually they'll say something like "The bass line in X doesn't go like that."

To which you reply.

"Well it did tonight."

There are some oddballs around. The problem is you don't know who he is or who his friends are. They might all be musos who frequent that pub and have the landlords ear and if you're friendly you'll get asked back.

Smile politely and say thanks then make your excuses and polish your fretboard or something equally distracting...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1388404525' post='2321530']
Lets face it. You're the one up on stage playing and he's the guy without a gig on a Saturday night. I wonder why?
[/quote]

This. This is the bottom line - if I ever get any of that sort of attention (which is very very rare), I smile, nod and go and do something else. Anything else.

If the notes are the right notes, what does it matter. Django Reinhardt was missing a couple of fingers, and Tony Iommi has the ends missing on a couple of his. Does this mean they shouldn`t be playing? Nah, twonks like the chap concerned, leave `em to their technically perfect misery.

I love it when there's "an old character" or know-it-all at a gig. We were playing Pen-y-Graig Labour Club one night and after the first set ended with Walking on Sunshine, this geezer came up to me and told me I was the best lead guitarist he'd ever seen, "and I've seen 'em all", he said. He also complemented me on my beautiful "lead guitar", which was a Spector NS5 and told me I didn't need "one of those whammy bar thingys" to sound good.

The advice about just being polite and dashing off to busy yourself is solid. You just don't know who they or their friends are.

[quote name='Buzzardist' timestamp='1388433161' post='2321970']

As simple as that.
[/quote]

I don't think so. There are some people with strange personality disorders, if I'm allowed to call them that.

One guy latched onto me during a break and asked how I was going to fill the room with just my 'little' Trace Elliot 15" cab. Then he spent most of the break asking me how to get Cubase working on his PC. How random is that? I couldn't get rid of him. Luckily by the end of the gig he had disappeared. Probably when found out my Trace rig was big enough after all.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1388433556' post='2321977']
One guy latched onto me during a break and asked how I was going to fill the room with just my 'little' Trace Elliot 15" cab. Then he spent most of the break asking me how to get Cubase working on his PC. How random is that? I couldn't get rid of him. Luckily by the end of the gig he had disappeared. Probably when found out my Trace rig was big enough after all.
[/quote]

People love to talk. If they're not on stage then they'll overcompensate by trying to impress you in other ways and I've always found it far too painful to deal with!

Hey Stinky, don`t fret about it. Years ago I had a compound fracture and dislocation on my left pinky and thanks to the wonders of modern medicine, it is now almost completely useless. I don`t use it for fretting the neck at all and have always managed to get by.

I think most of us have had these herberts and most of them seem to be bedroom players or people who aren`t in a band as they are useless or lack the social skills required to be in a band :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]
[size=4]They are jealous as you are the one playing the gig and not them.[/size]

[i]Whenever anyone asks me anything at a gig, I just point them towards our guitarist and say "he'll answer any of your questions" another tactic is to wear a t-shirt onstage with "I like you, I will kill you last" emblazoned across the front, that also keeps the armchair critics at bay[/i]

There is that amazing blues jazz guitarist who played with only two fingers due to a burn injury to his hand. He would support the use of whatever fingers you damn well please. Sure he may have good advice so dont ignore him for the sake of pride but there are more tactful ways he could have spoken to you! Like not doing it when you are doing a mate a favour!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1388435147' post='2322021']
Hey Stinky, don`t fret about it. Years ago I had a compound fracture and dislocation on my left pinky and thanks to the wonders of modern medicine, it is now almost completely useless. I don`t use it for fretting the neck at all and have always managed to get by.

I think most of us have had these herberts and most of them seem to be bedroom players or people who aren`t in a band as they are useless or lack the social skills required to be in a band :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]
[size=4]They are jealous as you are the one playing the gig and not them.[/size]
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I guess there's a lot of really great bedroom players that can't or won't play in a band. At least I can keep time with the kick drum, perhaps my new friend can't.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1388435150' post='2322022']
[i]Whenever anyone asks me anything at a gig, I just point them towards our guitarist and say "he'll answer any of your questions" another tactic is to wear a t-shirt onstage with "I like you, I will kill you last" emblazoned across the front, that also keeps the armchair critics at bay[/i]
[/quote]

I think I'm off to the T-shirt shop at the weekend! So funny!

[quote name='Mr Stinky' timestamp='1388403482' post='2321504']
I'm speaking as a relative newbie to playing live here.

A friends band recently lost their bass player for a couple of weeks due to illness. To cover existing gigs, me and another guy are stepping in to help out as we know most of the set between us.

We played on Saturday night and it went quite well as we'd never played together before. However, after one of my spots, this 'expert' player decided to give me a lecture about economy of motion and correct fingering, citing the E string run-up in Tush. This wasn't a couple of comments, this was a university thesis standard verbal essay. He went on and on almost pushing me to a 'swift and to the point verbal retort'.

Is it really that important to use the correct fingering? My left pinky isn't that useful anyway due to a mis-spent youth, and how would you deal with this sort of character?
[/quote]

If it was that a big a deal, why wasn't he playing the gig instead of you? :D Some people put a lot of focus on technique, and others don't, but that's all below the real issue - did it sound good? If it did, and you aren't in any physical pain from playing, then your technique is probably fine.

Hope you enjoyed your gig, and that it's the first of many :)