Why become a member? ×

OK, so ... are Farida basses the best pound for pound basses around?

bagsieblue

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1387839977' post='2316445']
Hmmm at most price points I'd still think them bloomin great.
Are you talking about new or S/H prices?
[/quote] New and S/H really as new has a knock on on the S/H prices realistically I would not want to pay anywhere near the 300-350 mark S/H as I have seen them at those prices new (FJB-20 I think) but if some one has paid 700 for a new one they will want at least 350-400 when they sell it if that makes sense?

I've never really tried one for any length of time, but they do seem to have a hard-core following. The ones that I have seen in the flesh looked well made and sounded pretty good so they must definitely be a contender (at the right price I guess).

From my perspective the best value basses I have owned are probably a Peavey Zephyr (£125 for an immaculate neck through bass), and an Antoria Jazz I acquired for £100, although it did get a refinish and a Kiogon wiring harness to replace old slightly knackered one.

The FJB-6 is wicked.

I have two FJB's which were made for me as prototypes from a design I sent them. Fretted and Fretless.

Long story, there was a thread about 2 years ago I did on it.

Not sure what the plan is with them now as that factory is tied into a few other things and their farida stuff (factory's own brand) are concentrating on their acoustic guitars.

Easy to dismiss them as they're generally Fender clones.

Oh well, off to play mine.

The Farida I owned was OK, although nothing particularly special IMO.

You'll be hard pressed to beat some of the less "trendy" 80's-90's MIJ basses, Westones etc and some lower end USA Peaveys (like the Fury etc) for value for money.

Astounding quality for under £200.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1387894182' post='2316983']
It was an FJB-6 with a factory one-off custom fretless neck.
[/quote]

I nearly bought that, glad I didn't now.
Perhaps I just got lucky with my standard fretted FJB-6, which is a cracker.
It's not particularly 'special' though, just an excellent Jazz bass with none of the problems I've seen on many others.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1387874416' post='2316597']

never even seen a Farida but my vote goes to a Aria STB...if they are all like mine for under 120 sheets?
[/quote]

+1 on the Aria STB series, I picked up the P version for £40, put a SPB-3 pick up in it and a set of Chromes and it is absolutely awesome. The original PU was good but I fancied the Duncan one. If I'd have just kept the neck and binned the rest it would still be a bargain, lovely neck.

Some second-hand MIM Fenders are going for around £200, which is crazy money if you get a good one. [i]Caveat emptor[/i] and all that, of course.

Some of the cheap Ibanez basses are incredible for the price. I played a student's GSR200 earlier this year and it was excellent. One a good day you might even get one new for £200!!

Even some of the Stagg basses offer excellent value for money.

When I was starting off, some 30 years ago, cheap [b][i]meant[/i][/b] cheap! Anything that cost the equivalent of £250 then would have been virtually unplayable and sounded poor. The budget end of the scale really has shot up in quality in the last 30 years or so. It is a very good time to be a young musician! B)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1387875267' post='2316610']
I agree that you'd be hard pushed to beat Peavey for budget bass quality.
[/quote]

Absolutely! The most expensive Peavey I own cost £370 from New, and for a neck through 35" scale with this kind of build quality and pretty much the entire thing being made of mahogany, and growly tone that's gonna be hard to beat!

I have a Farida Hypersonic HB-20, which I got in a trade. It is like this one (may actually be the same one) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222095-fs-ft-farida-hb20-hypersonic-series-set-neck-pj-lightweight-cw-farida-hard-case/"]http://basschat.co.u...rida-hard-case/[/url]
It is well made and specified and sounds great. It looks a bit like a Spector but feels like an MIJ Bass Collection. Its small and very light, in fact it was so light I thought that the sound may suffer from lack of body mass but I needn't have worried as it sounds great. Very cheap for what they are 2nd hand and probably too quirky for the UK Market. depending on what happens to the Farida brand I wouldn't be surprised if they become contactable in the future as there aren't many around.

I can't imagine anything else as good in that 2nd hand price bracket so Farida are one of the best value for money basses in my book. I agree with the others mentioned such as Yamaha (the TRBX is amazing value) and LTD ESP. I would also add in Schecter who make some great basses for the money..

Edited by Pinball

I had a wee google and found that Farida are made by GREE..grand reward education and entertainment.....they must use a randon word generator for these companies!!
.....chinese factory that make around 13,000 guitars per month and 25 OE's!

Rumour has it they also make the Squier CV series.

Edited by iconic