Why become a member? ×

7 Basses Shoot Out!

JohanSegeborn

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Hi!

In this clip I'm comparing 7 different basses:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtotPiMk6OA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUyaStghQb7_e51PgH8bUkzg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtotPiMk6OA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUyaStghQb7_e51PgH8bUkzg[/url]

1. Gibson EB-2
2. Gibson EB-13
3. Gibson Les Paul Bass
4. Stagg (!) EB-3
5. Gibson Thunderbird
6. Fender Precision Bass
7. Fender Jazz Bass

I'm using a Mesa Boogie M3 Carbine 12" Speaker Combo.

I would very much appreciate your comments, feedback and critique. How would you say that these basses differ?

Cheers!
Johan

My Youtube Channel
[url="http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaStghQb7_e51PgH8bUkzg?feature=watch"]http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaStghQb7_e51PgH8bUkzg?feature=watch[/url][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
[twitter]JohanSegeborn[/twitter][/font][/color]

First off great video production and recording.

[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Gibson EB-2 - Gave [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]the song a '60s mod band playing on an early disco record' feel. A compressed synthy tone.[/color][/font]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Gibson EB-13 - Snarly without much rubbery body.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Gibson Les Paul Bass - Better but still snarly.[/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]4. Stagg (!) EB-3 - Has a definite lisp, a raspy edge to each note, least good.[/color][/font]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Gibson Thunderbird - Distorted metal tone, like Metallica had covered this groove as an attention getting funk cover very early in their career.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Fender Precision Bass - Ah that's more like it. Has the best of the EB2 and EB13/Les Paul worlds. The clipped 'pop' section works best on this.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. Fender Jazz Bass - Also good but just a shade more wiry and [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]clangy.[/color][/font]

Great Video! Thoroughly enjoyed watching it.
I personally liked the Jazz and P the most. Not very contoversial, i know. Maybe its just because its what im used to......
Maybe its just what i prefer. Either way, just an opinion.
If i had to pick one, id go for the P. I liked the versatility in it.
Thanks again for a great video

Nice vid. Cheers.
I pretty much never, intentionally use distortion, when playing. Though obviously powerful pickups and cranked up amps can create some lovely, natural sounding, harmonic distortion.
That said, I can really enjoy hearing others use it.
Your lovely collection all had something to offer, within that big sound, you use.
I particularly liked the EB13, which seems a very versatile bass.
Of course the Precision also stood out. Very solid and so useable in a band situation.

Thanks again.

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1386316182' post='2298580']
First off great video production and recording.

Thanks! Really appreciate the feedback. Cheers Johan

[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Gibson EB-2 - Gave [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#000000]the song a '60s mod band playing on an early disco record' feel. A compressed synthy tone.[/color][/font]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Gibson EB-13 - Snarly without much rubbery body.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Gibson Les Paul Bass - Better but still snarly.[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#000000]4. Stagg (!) EB-3 - Has a definite lisp, a raspy edge to each note, least good.[/color][/font]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Gibson Thunderbird - Distorted metal tone, like Metallica had covered this groove as an attention getting funk cover very early in their career.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Fender Precision Bass - Ah that's more like it. Has the best of the EB2 and EB13/Les Paul worlds. The clipped 'pop' section works best on this.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. Fender Jazz Bass - Also good but just a shade more wiry and [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#000000]clangy.[/color][/font]
[/quote]

You need a Rick in that line-up! Chris Squire and Geddy both get awesome crunch tones out of theirs...

Good vid BTW... intrigued that the Stagg held it's own alongside others costing x10 as much!

Edited by visog

Hi gjones,

This was actually recorded at extremely low volume so the contribution of the amp, besides preamp distortion was kept to a minimum. How would you suggest to get a good comparison between basses with as little amp coloration as possible?

Cheers
Johan

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1386384231' post='2299640']
All I really heard was the amp.
[/quote]

Hi visog,

Thanks! and I will! later this week I'll compare another set of basses.

Cheers

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1386444438' post='2300282']
You need a Rick in that line-up! Chris Squire and Geddy both get awesome crunch tones out of theirs...

Good vid BTW... intrigued that the Stagg held it's own alongside others costing x10 as much!
[/quote]

That video is a professional-quality piece of work, Johan, and that is a great selection of basses with some fascinating and unusual choices . Thanks for taking the time to make it and share it with us.

If I had one piece of constructive criticism it would be that it would be far better to focus primarily on the clean sound of the basses rather than the distorted tone. I know that distorted bass tones are fashionable in certain genres of music at the moment, but when assessing the sound of a bass in itself, distortion can give a very false impression of the unadorned sound of the instrument. I would venture that the distorted tone of these basses reveals far less of the subtleties of the sonic differences between these basses than the same video showcasing the clean tones would. Even so, I still really enjoyed watching this, and I look forward to seeing whatever videos you produce in future.

[quote name='JohanSegeborn' timestamp='1386611273' post='2302169']
How would you suggest to get a good comparison between basses with as little amp coloration as possible?
[/quote]

Direct into an audio interface with no amp modelling, just a bit of EQ, or if you must use an amp then use MarkBass. Renowned for giving the sound of the bass, not the amp....

Nice work though!