Why become a member? ×

Coming up with names

Jimryan

Mornin all,

So, I'm in the final stages of piecing together a new function band. All cheese, 80's and disco stuff. Got all the members, everyone's keen and then we hit our first hurdle...a name. We need a name.

Now, I've always been fortunate enough to have joined bands that have already named themselves, but how do you go about picking one. It's quite a task trying to think of something half decent.

James

It's a bit of minefield. First you think of a name that you like, so you do a bit of research and there's a band out there that already has it. Start again, you think of another one and hey presto no other band by that name but the rest of the band hate it....And round and round it goes.

I'm in the same situation.... :huh:

In addition to finding a name you're happy with, think also in terms of marketing and how people will find you on the interweb. Calling yourselves The Rice Krispies or The Mugs won't put you at the top of any Google searches, but something completely made up like The Gazoobers (or whatever) will definitely be unique.

For my punk covers band, we took the names of some of our influences (Undertones, Buzzcocks) and created The Undercocks. Instantly unique, a bit cheeky and memorable, and does what it says on the tin.

BB

Cheesy Please :)

I know what you mean though, it can be a nightmare finding a name that suits the band, that all band members like, and will get you noticed/remembered for all the right reasons (although hopefully your playing & music will do that).

I do remember a local yoof band called simply 'Cancelled'. They only did it so the chalk board outside the pub would say: 'Tonight's Band Is Cancelled'.

Disco Infernal - the logo features the siluette of John Travolta on a background of flames.(I know, more 70's than 80's)
I keep potential band names just in case , you are also welcome to
Celtic Deathray or The Slotin Excursion
A friend of mine was in a band in a similar situation, the rest of the band agreed (in secret) that the next thing my friend said was the name of the band. They ended up being called something like Not Now John, which isn't half as bad as it could have been.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

It's a function band, eh?

Maybe think about a name that suggests the sort of thing that people booking function bands are looking for. OK, 'The Inexpensive Reliables' might be a bit dull. But you catch my drift...

Just like other genres, it doesn't matter whether the band [i]likes[/i] the name or not. A band name is just a marketing tool.

• 2 months later...

This is easy.

Decide who the the leader of your band is, for example Jon Brown.

Take the first name and make it a little more snappy like 'Johnny'

Then take their surname and put it in front of the word 'tones'

Bingo!

You can play practically any genre of music under this monicker with the exception of Norwegian Death Metal.