Why become a member? ×

Good tuner pedal for bass?

DaveMuadDib

I've got a Fender PT-10 pedal tuner that works great with 6-stringers, but for bass, it seems absolutely hopeless with the E string. I've seen this kind of thing with tuners before, so before I rush out and buy anything,does anyone know of any pedals that are good at picking up the bass E?

I'm hoping the Behringer TU300 is among this list. It's cheap, and I've got one of their Bass Limiter Enhancers, and it's awesome! Any ideas? Cheers!

Ibanez LU-20 takes some beating - true bypass and blue LED, big display, and only £30. It takes a low E no problem, I've tuned down to D with it too. I've not got a five stringer but apparently it takes the low B fine as well.

Edited by dannybuoy

I got the new Korg Pitchblack the other week, it beats all the competition for me because on top of being well built, small, highly visible, quick and accurate it has true bypass (which obviously every tuner should have) and an AC out, you can daisy chain the rest of your pedals out of this one.

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='226231' date='Jun 24 2008, 09:20 PM']The boss tu-2 is a stonkin pedal, chromatic, step down, 2 step down tuning. Its built like a tank too.
Should get one for about £50 and you'll never have to think about tuning again. just my humble opinion[/quote]

plus the one

[quote name='BigRedX' post='226296' date='Jun 24 2008, 10:46 PM']+1

Peterson if you can afford it

Korg otherwise.[/quote]

+1

and I also have an inexpesive SEIKO tuer which works fine though I prefer the LED display of my KORG vs LCD on Seiko.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='226296' date='Jun 24 2008, 10:46 PM']+1

Peterson if you can afford it

Korg otherwise.[/quote]

+1

and I also have an inexpesive SEIKO tuer which works fine though I prefer the LED display of my KORG vs LCD on Seiko.

I've got one of [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=5243"]these[/url] on my board, Planetwaves CT04.

Slightly smaller than a Boss unit, rock solid, weighs a ton, very visible. Checks all the boxes for me. Only slight PITA is it's got a ridged rubber backing which makes it impossible to stick velcro to it. I suppose with a knife you could take the ridges off, or sand them off or something. :)

[quote name='Oscar South' post='226248' date='Jun 24 2008, 09:44 PM']I got the new Korg Pitchblack the other week, it beats all the competition for me because on top of being well built, small, highly visible, quick and accurate it has true bypass (which obviously every tuner should have) and an AC out, you can daisy chain the rest of your pedals out of this one.[/quote]

The pitchblack is a scaled down DT10 to fit in with smaller size pedals and pedal boards.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='226215' date='Jun 24 2008, 08:56 PM']....

Not lots of money = Korg DT10[/quote]

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='226316' date='Jun 24 2008, 11:06 PM']DT-10. Fast, accurate even on B, tough, available in black. I got mine before I knew they came in black. Dang.[/quote]

+1 for the DT-10. It's the one I've been using for a long time and works perfectly, never had problem with it.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='226434' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:44 AM']Not a pedal, but the Planet Waves SOS bass tuner is the most accurate, most convenient, easiest and fastest to use for me - I never use anything else.

Dead cheap as well.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I'm usually in Standard Eb/Drop Db, and apparently the SOS only does standard tuning! It's a shame, because it looks like an awesome piece of kit!

Obviously, there's plenty to choose from, but looks like the consensus is on the Korg DT10? As soon as I've ebayed off my old one, I'll probably go for one of these, since the Strobostomp is about 3 times out of my price range :)

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='226561' date='Jun 25 2008, 11:25 AM']Obviously, there's plenty to choose from, but looks like the consensus is on the Korg DT10? As soon as I've ebayed off my old one, I'll probably go for one of these, since the Strobostomp is about 3 times out of my price range :)[/quote]

I'd check out the new Korg Pitchblack, when I bought my tuner it came down to a choice between those two based on the features lists, and the Pitchblack won by far for me. Of course the only thing I needed to know was that the DT-10 doesn't have true bypass, an obvious choice for a tuner pedal (of course with the DT-10 you can use the tuner without muting which you can't do with true bypass, but thats pretty pointless anyway).

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='geilerbass' post='226669' date='Jun 25 2008, 01:21 PM']Have been wondering about decent tuners myself and was ready to go for the Korg DT10... but that Strobostomp looks so damn good, I'm tempted to bump up my budget. What a dilemma![/quote]

If you are interested I might be selling my Black Korg DT10... I've had it for 6 months and I still have the original box and manual.