Why become a member? ×

Bolt-On Neck Basses; Solve Screw Loosening Issues.

CMR Bass

Hi BassChat friends,

Does anyone suffer the same problem with their neck bolts/screws woking loose on their bolt-on neck basses? If you do, what do you do to solve this problem? In the past I've fitted neck anchors but they still work loose pretty quick even with the light gauge of 40-95 that I use. I've had the thought of using lock-tight or superglue to hold them in but there must be a better way.

I do prefer neck through passive basses because the lack of batteries and bolts are two less things to think about. I know other players feel the same way.

I'm hopeing to hear from other members have overcome this problem with a much more effective method.

Look forward to hear from you all,
Craig

Never had screws coming loose in 40+ yrs of screw on necks. Metal inserts could be a solution, could try copydex in metal inserts or wood since this will stop screws loosening but still can be undone. At a push can use PVA glue since heat to screw via soldering iron will allow removal later.

Another possibility is using anti shake (serrated) washers.

Hope neck stays put in future.

Thanks for your replies chaps. Yeah, I've used those before (stated in my opening post) but they work loose pretty quick because there's no real friction holding them in like with screws agaist wood. I found with those achors/bolts that I overtighten and that pulls on the brass insert thus ripping it out the neck.

The problem with the neck bolts loosening off must be a common problem. This is a thing I've nothiced with all bolt-on neck basses. The screws don't work all the way out but they do loosen up, enough of have to tighen them back in. This is especially noticeable usually when the strings are removed and the tension is taken out the neck.

Screws can work loose from graphite instruments/components, my experience is same as obove regarding wood (not had any loose screws) -no pun intended! Are they definately tightening up and not 'stripped' the wood!? You could try a mix of wood shavings and wood glue or cascamite is pretty good-make up a paste, fill holes let dry thoroughly then re-drill.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1383911323' post='2270665']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GeetarGizmos-GUITAR-NECK-INSERT-KIT-Stainless-Set-of-4-Luthier-Tool-Bolt-On-Neck-/131008125674?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e80b15aea"]These[/url] are what you're looking for...
[/quote] This is the solution there is no way they can work lose from the wood if fitted correctly and level as they tap a new thread I have used these before with fantastic results and they also give the bass or guitar better sustain. I would say that if you had problems with them coming loose they were not installed correctly

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1384599163' post='2278501']
I'd like to know what you are doing to the poor bass to make the neck work loose - I've never heard of it in 50 years of working with basses & guitars.

G.
[/quote]
This. Never had such a problem in 40+ years of Fender playing.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1384624097' post='2278905']
This may seem like a silly question, but I don't suppose, by any chance, that the bass' body is made of cheese? That would explain it.
[/quote]

:lol:

+1 on looking at the bass - either quirks with wood, screws or other construction could be to blame.

Correctly installed neck screws shouldn't work loose by themselves - definately not those using threaded inserts.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1384767777' post='2280339']
:lol:

+1 on looking at the bass - either quirks with wood, screws or other construction could be to blame.

Correctly installed neck screws shouldn't work loose by themselves - definately not those using threaded inserts.
[/quote]All I can think of is that the neck inserts were forced into a hole hat was to small and split the wood or the hole was to big they should never come lose if fitted properly

• 6 months later...

When I say they come loose, I don't mean they work all the way out, they just loosen up. You could only tell this by taking a screwdriver to the screws during routine maintenance. It's very common due to string vibration which is why I'm not a fan of bolt-on basses.

[quote name='CMR Bass' timestamp='1402154113' post='2470521']
When I say they come loose, I don't mean they work all the way out, they just loosen up. You could only tell this by taking a screwdriver to the screws during routine maintenance. It's very common due to string vibration which is why I'm not a fan of bolt-on basses.
[/quote]

Is it very common? :blink: :rolleyes:

I must have been incredibly lucky ;)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1402156505' post='2470555']
We all must have been very very lucky. In 40 years of playing bolt on basses I've never even heard the problem referred to before this thread.
[/quote]
Same here - but put me down for 50 years next year - not a common problem I'm sure B)