Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

Looked up the spec on the Neutrik site...

[url="http://www.neutrik-france.com/produits.html?url=/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/c-series/"]Neutrik...[/url]

It would appear that jacks are rated at 50v/3A (150 W..?), speakons are 250v/30A (7.5KW..?).

For all practical purposes, for your rig, there's no big deal, but speakons can handle far more than jacks.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1383672613' post='2267465']
speakons are cooler, and blue and go click.

Much better
[/quote]

The main selling points :lol:

For me I just like the fact that they are secured in the cab/amp, and are unlikely to get unplugged by a clumsy-fool.

Yep, plus that fact that you'll never end up with using an instrument lead by mistake.

But if the space behind the cab is a big issue (which I can understand in some instances, especially with thick speaker cable) then how about using a right-angle speakon? Best of both worlds.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NL-4FRX-Right-Angle-Speakon-Plug-346550/dp/B002BETSYW

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1383673101' post='2267488']
Yep, plus that fact that you'll never end up with using an instrument lead by mistake.
[/quote]

Quite - I still remember the git who borrowed my rig and managed to plug the speaker out into the wireless receiver input, and then thrashed it. Result, one dead wireless unit...

Jacks will work, will sound just find, but are ultimately not the right tool for the job.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1384080643' post='2272458']
....And if there isn't that much room I just turn down the gig and get a proper job?....
[/quote]

My point was that if you put your cab against the wall you cut a lot of the bass out of your sound. That seemed to me to be more of a problem than worrying about which jack is best.

I've had the "rear port on mini stages" problem for years. I just bough a new cab which is ported at the front to try to sort that one out. And I'm still going to keep using my speakon leads.

The problem may be more to do with European Directives about safety than about the electrical limits of the plug and socket.

Exposed live terminals with more than 50v on them are a shock risk, and if you are hot and sweaty, the shock will be worse. It will not kill you, but could cause you to fall off stage, etc. Speakons are designed so that you cannot accidentally touch the live connection - jacks are not.

Back in the day, some amps used XLRs to connect the speakers, and mains XLRs for the 240v supply. The clearance between terminals and metal shell does not meet current safety standards, so mains XLRs have gone, and XLR are limited to lower voltages.

David