Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd BBC4

Roger2611

Just watching the Delicate Sound of Thunder gig on BBC4 I was lucky enough to see them at Docklands arena (on this tour I think) it was my first really big gig and it totally blew me away I couldn't believe a live band could sound so big.

I had sort of forgotten just how good Floyd were

Funny, but I was watching the Delicate Sound of Thunder and came to the conclusion that it's my least favourite Floyd period - I even prefer the Final Cut these days!

It just seems so un-Floyd-like to watch it now

Oh for an un-discovered video of the Animals or Dark Side tours to be remastered...

It just goes to show that music evokes so many emotions and opinions. I can't stand listening to the music that Pink Floyd produce. It is obviously played with precision and is played perfectly but seems so devoid of any emotion. There's just something about it that makes it all so twee and instantly forgettable but i can appreciate that a lot of people can't get enough of it.

That awful 80's sound at the Delicate Sound of Thunder gig... I really enjoyed the evening on BBC4, especially the making of WYWH documentary, but I didn't like the gig. Don't like the songs from A Momentary Lapse of Reason to begin with. Great playing, but awful sounds and the band (not the session musicians) look so bored... Would have preferred a much older gig. Loved the documentary and the Miscellany though!

The evening got even better at 00:35 when Prog at the BBC began. Genesis, Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer... Awesome stuff!

Preferred Waters on bass too... just got a bit more class to it. All that solitary jumping around by Guy Pratt, reminds me of someone who longs to be in Haircut 100 playing "Favourite shirt". Loved the Final Cut-album too, although a lot of PF fans don't... The lyrics and the honesty in them touch me every time.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1383596745' post='2266455']
I found the concert on BBC4, dire and boring, typical overhyped and over produced 80's crap.
[/quote]

Me too. I just can't listen to Floyd without Waters. I just find them dull and anodyne. Gilmour has been churning out the same old solo for 25 years now. While they were all great musicians, Waters was the genius in the band. He and DG made a great foil for each other.

Sadly, I find Rog's solo material very hard work too. Floyd, to me, are a classic example of the whole being more than the sum of the parts.

[quote name='LeftyJ' timestamp='1383641772' post='2266800']
The evening got even better at 00:35 when Prog at the BBC began. Genesis, Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer... Awesome stuff!
[/quote]

Oh yes! I've watched that on iPlayer another three times since friday! :blush: :D

Still don't like Atomic Rooster though... :unsure:

Edited by Conan

I've just watched 'Prog at the BBC' on iPlayer.

The bands i liked then i still like and those i didn't i still don't.

Family and Soft Machine were great bands. Atomic Rooster and Wishbone Ash were always worth seeing live at a college for only a few bob and Yes still really annoy me more than i can say.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1383661246' post='2267211']
Yes still really annoy me more than i can say.
[/quote]

Certainly the performance on that programme was irritating! What was Steve Howe doing? Pulling his fretting hand off the neck in that ridiculous (look at me) manner?? :angry: :lol: Git.

Family and Soft Machine were great bands. Atomic Rooster and Wishbone Ash were always worth seeing live at a college for only a few bob and Yes still really annoy me more than i can say.
[/quote]

Family - what a band, Roger Chapmans vocals are unique - superb.

Supported Wishbone Ash a few years ago with our Free tribute band.

[/quote]

Floyd (up to and including The Wall), Yes (up to and including GFTO) and Genesis (up to and including ATTWT) are 3 of my 5 or 6 all-time favourite bands (the others probably being ABBA, the Chilis and Bow Wow Wow). I guess we have different tastes. :lol:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1383603431' post='2266589']
It just goes to show that music evokes so many emotions and opinions. I can't stand listening to the music that Pink Floyd produce. It is obviously played with precision and is played perfectly but seems so devoid of any emotion. There's just something about it that makes it all so twee and instantly forgettable but i can appreciate that a lot of people can't get enough of it.
[/quote]

I find it full of emotion, strangely, if in a rather repressed, middle-class sort of way. Which as a former grammar school boy I understand completely. ;)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1383659075' post='2267159']

Sadly, I find Rog's solo material very hard work too. Floyd, to me, are a classic example of the whole being more than the sum of the parts.
[/quote]

Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and Radio Chaos aren't his best works, but genuinely, Amused to Death is fantastic. Up there with his best Floyd work. New album in the pipeline.... 20 years in the making...hope it's worth the wait!

Edited by geoham

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1383988257' post='2271511']
I was disappointed at the lack of Syd Barret era material in the miscellany. While I like a lot of the later stuff with Gilmour, the early whimsical stuff appeals to me more for whatever reason.
[/quote]

Not really a fan of Sid, beyond the fact that he inspired WYWH.