Why become a member? ×

Does the "other half" really stop you!

rodacademy

:D

I joke about this subject but in all honesty I could buy whatever I wanted and she'd be ok (ish), but sometimes it's hard to justify another bass when the money could be better used on the house.
Right now we have a half finished kitchen and after that an extension needs to built, we don't have masses of money and to not buy all the new worktops this month because you saw a bass on here for sale can annoy the most patient spouse.

Well, recently I've been talking to a gutarist/singer who has been pro for years , has played with big bands & recently advertised for players. On Wednesday night we were discussing material & my use of my fretless, converting his basement for rehearsal etc.

Thursday morning I got an email saying that he has so much on his plate he doesn't have time for music.

Nobbled.

G.

[quote name='rodacademy' timestamp='1382277273' post='2249935']
But....if you really needed it, veg can be chopped on the floor!
[/quote]

Or on your custom Coffee table Bass, then you can get that worn vintage look within days.

When ever I buy a Bass, my wife goes down IKEA and buys those silver one foot legs
and some blue tac, and sticks them on the back of the Bass She then invites her friends around for Coffee mornings.
Job done, everyone's happy.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1382280313' post='2250003']
Well, recently I've been talking to a gutarist/singer who has been pro for years , has played with big bands & recently advertised for players. On Wednesday night we were discussing material & my use of my fretless, converting his basement for rehearsal etc.

Thursday morning I got an email saying that he has so much on his plate he doesn't have time for music.

Nobbled.

G.
[/quote]

I think you have turned up at the wrong gig Geoff - This is about her/him indoors.
:D

Edited by lowdown

I have unleashed the monster, long story short...car was in for some work last Saturday just half a mile from our local PMT..now I have been having lustful thoughts about the Rickenbacker Bass they had in stock...I thought kill two birds with one stone, drop the car off, walk to shop, buy bass, job done....Mrs2611 was ok with idea even though the bass was a good whack! Anyway that's where it all went wrong...

PMT had sold the bass...on our slow trudge back to the car we came upon a snazzy furniture store which just happened to have a set of wardrobes that Mrs2611 took a real shine to....45 minutes later the Rickenbacker fund had suffered a rather large dent to it.....but it didn't end there..oh no the new wardrobes now make a set of draws redundant...so they are off to the tip, but space left can now be filled with a sofa bed....now on order....all I have to do now is redecorate both bedrooms before said items of furniture arrive.....Rickenbacker fund gone....now how much are those polish cloths :(

I guess it is very much give and take....my good lady gets some stuff she wanted....next time I NEED a new bass...opposition shouldn't be too strong

Nope the "Other Half" encourages everything I do, whether I need or want it. She encourages me to go out and gig and to practice and improve. I do the same with her, if she wants new shoes, clothes or a new sewing machine or furniture then so long as we each have the money it's all good. Otherwise we have to prioritise things.

I guess I'm really lucky to have such an understand and supportive "other half"

[quote name='rodacademy' timestamp='1382277273' post='2249935']
But....if you really needed it, veg can be chopped on the floor!
[/quote]

This is actually a brilliant point that could be extended further . In the unlikely event that Mrs Dingus were ever to question one of my purchases I would point out to her that women in the Developing World manage perfectly well cooking and washing in little more than primative hovels with dirt floors whilst improvising kitchens from old oil cans and bits of plastic tarpaulin left over from local mineral mining industies . yet they still manage to provide tasty and nutritious exotic food for their families . This brings into question the need for expensive designer kitchens and fancy utensils that most women covet , and in fact if Mrs D were to adopt the lifestyle model I have outlined here she would probably be the envy of every woman in Islington and set a trend they would no doubt follow . I would also point out to her that there is no evidence that the men in those same societies have been forced to compromise the quality of the bass guitars they are using to create the indiginous ethnic music of the region . Culture has to be the number one priority . Case closed .

Mrs Dingus would never dream of questioning what I buy because she sees me as an authority figure . She doesn't question what I spend in the same way that the people of North Korea don't question the national defense budget . It's a cliche that often gets trotted out that good relationships are built on trust , but in fact more often than not the reality is that they are built on a mixture of fear and gratitude . Mrs Dingus wakes up every morning with the knowledge that she has managed to hook a man for herself who is way, way out of her league , and that she is the envy of all her trashy jet set friends . She is living the dream , and so a few basses here and there doesn't even really register when her overwhelming concern is to keep hold of her trophy partner and keep that dream alive , no matter what it takes .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1382284215' post='2250068']
This is actually a brilliant point that could be extended further . In the unlikely event that Mrs Dingus were ever to question one of my purchases I would point out to her that women in the Developing World manage perfectly well cooking and washing in little more than primative hovels with dirt floors whilst improvising kitchens from old oil cans and bits of plastic tarpaulin left over from local mineral mining industies . yet they still manage to provide tasty and nutritious exotic food for their families . This brings into question the need for expensive designer kitchens and fancy utensils that most women covet , and in fact if Mrs D were to adopt the lifestyle model I have outlined here she would probably be the envy of every woman in Islington and set a trend they would no doubt follow . I would also point out to her that there is no evidence that the men in those same societies have been forced to compromise the quality of the bass guitars they are using to create the indiginous ethnic music of the region . Culture has to be the number one priority . Case closed .

Mrs Dingus would never dream of questioning what I buy because she sees me as an authority figure . She doesn't question what I spend in the same way that the people of North Korea don't question the national defense budget . It's a cliche that often gets trotted out that good relationships are built on trust , but in fact more often than not the reality is that they are built on a mixture of fear and gratitude . Mrs Dingus wakes up every morning with the knowledge that she has managed to hook a man for herself who is way, way out of her league , and that she is the envy of all her trashy jet set friends . She is living the dream , and so a few basses here and there doesn't even really register when her overwhelming concern is to keep hold of her trophy partner and keep that dream alive , no matter what it takes .
[/quote]
HA ha ha. Can't wait to show me Maud this!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1382282061' post='2250029']
I have unleashed the monster, long story short...car was in for some work last Saturday just half a mile from our local PMT..now I have been having lustful thoughts about the Rickenbacker Bass they had in stock...I thought kill two birds with one stone, drop the car off, walk to shop, buy bass, job done....Mrs2611 was ok with idea even though the bass was a good whack! Anyway that's where it all went wrong...

PMT had sold the bass...on our slow trudge back to the car we came upon a snazzy furniture store which just happened to have a set of wardrobes that Mrs2611 took a real shine to....45 minutes later the Rickenbacker fund had suffered a rather large dent to it.....but it didn't end there..oh no the new wardrobes now make a set of draws redundant...so they are off to the tip, but space left can now be filled with a sofa bed....now on order....all I have to do now is redecorate both bedrooms before said items of furniture arrive.....Rickenbacker fund gone....now how much are those polish cloths :(

I guess it is very much give and take....my good lady gets some stuff she wanted....next time I NEED a new bass...opposition shouldn't be too strong
[/quote]

You'll probably get a better tone out of the wardrobe. :thank_you:

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1382282061' post='2250029']
PMT had sold the bass...
[/quote]

You definitely dodged a bullet there, mate. :D

[quote name='Nick Riffed' timestamp='1382290412' post='2250188']
You'll probably get a better tone out of the wardrobe. :thank_you:
[/quote]

:lol:[size=4] [/size]

Edited by discreet

My wife never complains but I get the humorous raised "here we go again" eyebrow. I'm not saying we have enough money to do whatever we want but if she wanted anything for herself, she knows she could buy it if she wanted to. We may not really be able to afford some things but we both know that life's not a rehearsal so go for it if it doesn't cause us a major problem.

I try and be sensible anyway with a "something out - something in" policy.

It probably helps that she sings with me and is involved musically.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382290462' post='2250189']
She has musical endeavours? Do they coincide with yours in any way? :)
[/quote]

Rarely. She's a singing teacher and classical soprano. We've played together a couple of times in makeshift ska/2-tone cover bands though :)

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1382283622' post='2250055']
Nope the "Other Half" encourages everything I do, whether I need or want it. She encourages me to go out and gig and to practice and improve. I do the same with her, if she wants new shoes, clothes or a new sewing machine or furniture then so long as we each have the money it's all good. Otherwise we have to prioritise things.

I guess I'm really lucky to have such an understand and supportive "other half"
[/quote] Same here :) I do very rarely get a telling off though lol