Why become a member? ×

New Wal Day (next April)

franzbassist

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1380703500' post='2229056']
That's a good build time... I was quoted 17 months last week :blink:
[/quote]

Much as I like Paul Herman's work, with a build time that enormous surely it makes more sense to put some effort into locating a pre-owned original Wal which ticks your boxes?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380703724' post='2229064']
Much as I like Paul Herman's work, with a build time that enormous surely it makes more sense to put some effort into locating a pre-owned original Wal which ticks your boxes?
[/quote]

Yeah that's the position I'm currently in.... I'd snap up the right one if it came up.

Mind you, what are the chances I'm still looking in 17 months time wishing I'd just ordered one...

My fretless Mk.II 4-string is quite simply the nicest fretless I've ever played.

I used to think that it was a "special" bass, a one-off where everything had just come together.

Then Clarky bought another example of the same bass and we A/B'd them ... they were identical, and identically "special". :lol:

Wals are really very good basses.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380704241' post='2229083']
Wals are really very good basses.
[/quote]

Just been perusing their website. And now of course I've got terrible GAS. :(
Given the current economic climate I'm guessing the NHS aren't going to help me with this anytime soon.

When I was at collage several years ago on a joke music course that was designed to keep kids off the streets, we had a bass tutor for a while called Jack something... Jack Monk I think.

No idea who he was or what he did but he did have a Wal... That sound... we all plugged straight into a desk (10 basses...) There were Warwicks, Fenders and a number of no name cheapies and they all sounded crap... but that Wal, what a sound... clear, rich, beautiful...

The guy was a cracking player though and we were all teenagers which probably had something to do with it...

I'll never forget that bass... It was a lefty and still looked cool!

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

Hi guys

The bass has been in "the book" for some time. It's going to be pretty special as the facings are from a chestnut tree that came down in my Mum and (late) Dad's garden in 2010. The wood has been resting at Paul's since then, was split in February this year, and finally cut down to body blanks last week.

As I said, Mk I fretted, standard hardware. Might go for an ebony board though, and possibly a lighter body core wood.

It'll be good to have a Wal back in the fold and legitimately call myself "Walbassist" again.

Cheers all

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1380708289' post='2229180']
Hi guys
The bass has been in "the book" for some time. It's going to be pretty special as the facings are from a chestnut tree that came down in my Mum and (late) Dad's garden in 2010. The wood has been resting at Paul's since then, was split in February this year, and finally cut down to body blanks last week.

As I said, Mk I fretted, standard hardware. Might go for an ebony board though, and possibly a lighter body core wood.
It'll be good to have a Wal back in the fold and legitimately call myself "Walbassist" again.
Cheers all
Gareth
[/quote]

That's a beautiful piece of topwood and a brilliant story and reason to use it! Nice one matey!

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1380715659' post='2229355']
That's very exciting Gareth and I guess goes some way to explaining why I can't tempt you with another of Joe's exotic creations :-)
[/quote]

Hi Phil

Believe me, I would [i]love[/i] to have another Veillette... or two :D.... but this bass is special as it's a sort of 50th birthday present and tribute to my Dad combined, funded by my Mum and Mrs Walbassist.

Cheers

Gareth

PS 50th Birthday not until 2016, but bass is ahead of schedule!