Why become a member? ×

Jerry Jemmott

wateroftyne

Yes, he was/is brilliant, but if I recall correctly, his career never really recovered after an incident in the early Seventies when his wrist was broken by the NYPD is part of a wrongful arrest. It took years for his wrist to heal properly and by that time he had lost his place on the scene to some extent. In the late Sixties and early Seventies though , he was one of the most in-demand and influential session musicians in the World, and you can easily hear why. He was a major influence on Jaco Pastorius and countless other bass players, and he deserves more recognition than he seems to have gotten . Last I heard he was playing in a hotel house band in Memphis or somewhere similar. I'm sure it's a decent gig, but Jerry Jemott should still be playing with the biggest names in the business, in my opinion .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1380239550' post='2222835']
Last I heard he was playing in a hotel house band in Memphis or somewhere similar. I'm sure it's a decent gig, but Jerry Jemott should still be playing with the biggest names in the business, in my opinion .
[/quote]

He's still keeping busy. He even does lessons via Skype...

http://www.jerryjemmott.com/

He's fantastic. I love above mentioned album, Aretha's live at the Filmore West album, what a band!

And "get off my back woman" from BB king's live and Well. Jerry plays on the second (studio) half of that album, and it's al solid gold stuff.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2JghcUgfM4

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1380269008' post='2222954']
He's still keeping busy. He even does lessons via Skype...

[url="http://www.jerryjemmott.com/"]http://www.jerryjemmott.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Glad to hear it! I have absolutely no doubt that Jerry Jemott is still an awesome prospect . I just think it would be great if a major artist utilised his skills and gave the wider public a chance to hear his playing . When you listen to the bass on that YT clip and think about how much that sound and that feel are back in fashion nowadays, it's clear to me that Jerry would rip it up on any soul, hip hop, R&B track made by the hippest contemporary artists nowadays. Jerry Jemott should be playing on the same kind of projects that Pino Palladino has been doing.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1380259214' post='2222868']
Damn good indeed, it's very obvious listening to him just how much Jaco took from him.
[/quote]

I remember reading that when he was a teenager , Jaco used to hide in the toilets at Criteria Studios in Miami to listen to Jerry recording with Aretha Franklin and King Curtis [i]et al. [/i]Jaco credited Jerry with being his inspiration for the stuttering, syncopated sixteenth-note grooves that became his trademark .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1380285319' post='2223266']
Glad to hear it! I have absolutely no doubt that Jerry Jemott is still an awesome prospect . I just think it would be great if a major artist utilised his skills and gave the wider public a chance to hear his skills. When you listen to the bass on that YT clip and think about how much that sound and that feel are back in fashion nowadays, it's clear to me that Jerry would rip it up on any soul, hip hop, R&B track made by the hippest contemporary artists nowadays. Jerry should be playing on the same kind of projects that Pino Palladino has been doing.
[/quote]

Absoflippinlutely. These guys should be looked on as the legends they are. It's a shame they have to wait until someone makes a documentary on 'em, like the Motown & Stax guys. It's too late by then.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1380380006' post='2224524']
He had a tuition video out in the late 80s or early 90s, well worth a look if you can get hold of it.
[/quote]

Me too. One of my top inspirations. I watched it over and over when I was about 19 & just starting on bass. There was also a great article he did about turnarounds in Guitar Player around '84.

He's had an amazing life of great highs & very sad lows as previous posts have mentioned. I'm glad to see he's out playing again regularly with Gregg Allman.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread because I have only just discovered the joys of Jerry Jemmott.

I was listening to a Wilson Pickett greatest hits CD in the car. There's his cover of 'Hey Jude' on it. I was instantly struck by the fact that the bass playing was somewhat tasty

No musicians listed on the CD, but after a bit of googling I discovered it was Jerry Jemmott.

Wow. Can't believe I'd never heard of him before.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1463211710' post='3049501']
Reviving this thread because I have only just discovered the joys of Jerry Jemmott.

I was listening to a Wilson Pickett greatest hits CD in the car. There's his cover of 'Hey Jude' on it. I was instantly struck by the fact that the bass playing was somewhat tasty

No musicians listed on the CD, but after a bit of googling I discovered it was Jerry Jemmott.

Wow. Can't believe I'd never heard of him before.
[/quote]

http://youtu.be/0y8Q2PATVyI

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1463214219' post='3049527']
Probably a very predictable choice - this is one of his great lines:
[/quote]

JJ is a great player, though Tommy Cogbill played the original bass line on Memphis Soul Stew.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1463214219' post='3049527']
Probably a very predictable choice - this is one of his great lines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRuLc2d5x5g

You can hear a lot of stuff in here that JP used on his version of Pee Wee Ellis' "The Chicken". Love it! :)
[/quote]

Man when those horns come in! I love this music and this is version I hadn't heard before. Thanks for posting.

• 5 years later...
On 14/05/2016 at 18:43, Roland Rock said:

Being a geek, I have the box set of every set played by both King Curtis and Aretha during their week long run at the Filmore West. Hours and hours of one of the finest backing bands in history -
Magical stuff

Ok … zombie thread … but - tell me more about this box set!