Why become a member? ×

Bass to take abroad

NoirBass

I currently do the odd gig overseas, as a result I'd like a bass I can take with me.

Previously I have put a bass in hard case and checked it into the hold. So far I haven't had any disasters, but I feel its only a matter of time.

What I'd like to do is put the bass in the overhead locker on the plane with me. This has led me to look at headless options (like the Hohner B2A), travel options (like Hofner shorty, Aria Sinsonido) or short scale basses (Squier VM Mustang, Jag SS).

I'd prefer not to spend too much, but I do want a playable bass with reasonable build quality.

I would be interested to hear your opinions and experience with any of these instruments or of any alternatives you could suggest.

First you should read through [url=http://basschat.co.uk/topic/41208-flying-with-instruments-my-guide/]this thread[/url].

Secondly you should be aware that the size of the bass has very little to do with whether or not you will be able to take it into the cabin with you. That at the moment is entirely down to the whim of the check in and flight crew on the flight that you travel. What you have to consider is what you are going to do if they won't let you take the bass on board and insist that it gets checked into the hold.

If the hard case going into the hold has been working for you so far, I stick with that. Just make sure that the case is a good one - Hiscox Lite Flight would be my minimum standard for protection.

Epiphone Allen Woody! Short scale, looks really cool and the quality of the build is really great. They retail at £279ish, so not a fortune either. I'm not sure it's as easy as just taking with because it's small though.

Edited by skej21

Having one built is something to consider. I was looking for something similar a while back. After looking at all the usual suspects and not finding what I wanted, I had a short scale (30") bolt-on headless built by Paul Rose. This breaks down into two parts and fits snugly inside my regular suitcase. Easy to reassemble at the other end. Build quality is functional rather than boutique but it''s a very robust and playable little bass. The sort of thing you can chuck in and take anywhere without worrying too much. It's been abroad several times and I often throw it in when I travel in the UK. I've only used it for practice but it's gig worthy.

The only other 30" headless with a bolt on neck that I could find was the Traveler Escape Mk-II bass. I like the look of this but it was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time. - [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/traveler_escape_mkii_bass.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...e_mkii_bass.htm[/url].

[attachment=144418:P1040172.jpg]

Hiscox case and a Fender or Squier. Why, well the Hiscox for obvious reasons, they`re strong, and the Fender/Squier, well in case something happens to it, you`ll no doubt be able to resource one locally, and it makes sense it would be the same as what you were intending to play.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380012078' post='2219354']
Why compromise on your instrument just because you’re travelling?

Get a good flight case and play a proper bass when you get there.
[/quote]

So a Steinberger/Hohner/Streamline would constitute a compromise?
There are scenarios when it's "small bass" or "no bass". If a "traveler" is too much of a compromise, there's always "no bass", I suppose.

I did a lot of touring abroad for about 5 years during the 2000's and took a flight case for most of the travel because at first it was hard to guarantee that you will be allowed to take the guitar inside. Later on I did take the guitar on board but that was when prior arrangement with the airline was made at booking and an agreement for some of the band members to carry their instruments in the passenger compartment. If you do that make sure that this is entered on the system as a note when booking so that the check in clerk can see it on the screen when you arrive for check in. Whenever that has been done I've had no problems carrying my instrument on-board even from the USA which is usually very hard to do.

Touch wood I've never had any problems with the guitar in a flight case in the hold apart from minor damage to the case. Advice from a friendly customs guy one time when the case was scanned was to take any batteries out of the instrument and it's case and keep them in your regular luggage. It is less likely to get opened up by them.

Jazzyvee

I have often seen these and thought they look like they have had an accident but for travel purposes they might be ok. No idea what they play/sound like though:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashbory-Bass-in-Metallic-Frost-Red-with-Gigbag-/170979256997?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27cf286aa5"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashbory-Bass-in-Metallic-Frost-Red-with-Gigbag-/170979256997?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27cf286aa5[/url]

The Ashbory bass is fretless and small. The eBay link is to the guy who designed them back in the 80's and who's now selling them in the UK strung with Aquila Thundergut's. The sound can be like a double bass but they have a custom Ashworth transducer/pre-amp under the bridge so will work with effects/pedals with varying degrees of success.

Good luck with your search

Thanks for all the responses. Lots of options there, some of which I have done or considered.

My guitar player always puts his PRS in the OH locker in a soft case which is what made me want to do the same.

I have an Ashbory bass which I did use for a gig abroad, but it's upright type sound was too wooly - It got plenty of laughs and was great to fly with though!

Definitely like the headless / short scale options (Washburn Status, Hohner Jack etc.) - although status streamline / custom build is way out of my price range and the Epiphone AW sig looks too fragile. I mainly play Fenders so the Mustang would be ideal, but still not sure it would fit in the OH locker?

Taking the bass apart is an interesting idea, but after some measuring I still can't fit the neck of even a SS bass in my suitcase.

Looks like my best plan is to keep putting it in the hold and get a more robust case. Would be nice to avoid this though as I sometimes get the tube home from the airport and carting a large hard case and my suitcase can be hard work.

Edited by NoirBass

As has been suggested already, don't bother with putting it in the cabin. There are so many things that could work against you at the last minute. Invest in an [url="http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Electric-Wheels-Clamshell-Design/dp/B0002GO864"]SKB bass safe[/url] and you won't need a hard case. I use one and have taken instruments from UK to NZ and back again via Thailand, Malaysia and Sydney as well as Dubai and Spain. Make sure you get the mark II version though as the mark I latches sometimes need bending back into shape if they've been closed on an over full consignment.

I tend to use budget gig bags which aren't as thick as the super delux versions and have managed to get two instruments inside.

It has wheels so you don't have to carry the full weight.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1380010551' post='2219322']
Having one built is something to consider. I was looking for something similar a while back. After looking at all the usual suspects and not finding what I wanted, I had a short scale (30") bolt-on headless built by Paul Rose. This breaks down into two parts and fits snugly inside my regular suitcase. Easy to reassemble at the other end. Build quality is functional rather than boutique but it''s a very robust and playable little bass. The sort of thing you can chuck in and take anywhere without worrying too much. It's been abroad several times and I often throw it in when I travel in the UK. I've only used it for practice but it's gig worthy.

The only other 30" headless with a bolt on neck that I could find was the Traveler Escape Mk-II bass. I like the look of this but it was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time. - [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/traveler_escape_mkii_bass.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...e_mkii_bass.htm[/url].
[/quote]

Are you saying that it cost you less than £419 to have a whole bass made for you by Paul Rose?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1380092436' post='2220577']
As has been suggested already, don't bother with putting it in the cabin. There are so many things that could work against you at the last minute. Invest in an [url="http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Electric-Wheels-Clamshell-Design/dp/B0002GO864"]SKB bass safe[/url] and you won't need a hard case. I use one and have taken instruments from UK to NZ and back again via Thailand, Malaysia and Sydney as well as Dubai and Spain. Make sure you get the mark II version though as the mark I latches sometimes need bending back into shape if they've been closed on an over full consignment.

I tend to use budget gig bags which aren't as thick as the super delux versions and have managed to get two instruments inside.

It has wheels so you don't have to carry the full weight.
[/quote]

This is a great idea, can I ask how the bass is secured inside the case? ie. Is there much room for movement or do you need to pack it out?

Edited by NoirBass

The bass doesn't move if its in a thick gig bag. There is foam padding at either end of the bass safe. In fact, its better if there are some gaps inside because they will allow the safe walls to flex with any impacts without affecting the instrument.

Edited by Kiwi
clarification