Why become a member? ×

The xilddx ZULU BASS - Now Finished

xilddx

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1382894789' post='2257677']
did you clearcoat the scratchplate after spraying? Or is there no chance of the paint flaking off.
[/quote]

I did. I gave it about 6 coats of acrylic gloss lacquer (same stuff I used for the headstock). It is Chestnut brand from the very excellent Rothko and Frost who also supplied the decal.

The black paint is Plastikote acrylic 'hobby' paint, matt black.

I'm not sure why the gloss clear coat became matt but I'm glad it did because I wanted some contrast from the body paint and was going to flat it to a satin finish. It seems like a good durable finish.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1382898641' post='2257762']
What an Iconic Basschat Bass. Won at the Bash. Made by the company that put the electric bass on the map. Modded by a member. With help from other Members.

In tribute to a great Artist.

Sometimes it doesn't get much better than to be around this kind of stuff.
[/quote]

Lovely words man! Thanks :)

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1383012514' post='2259185']
Wow, that likes so cool. Great work Nigel and UH, I love the headstock logo too. I hope that you get the frets sorted out soon.
[/quote]

Cheers man :)

I took it to a 5 hour rehearsal last night, it was great to play! Very easy on the hands with those oft tapewounds. I need to write some POD patches for it to get the most from its sounds. The active circuitry packs a wallop.

I'll try to get some soundclips done today.

Oh guys, THANK YOU! Such lovely words make my heart glow :) It's not perfect, I need to sort out the PG screw hole between the teeth, the drop-fill black paint keeps sinking, and there's the odd blemish, but I can live with those. Kevin Lindsey's 62/66 Jazz refinish kills me, it's really beautiful and he's such a perfectionist. Despite the little blemishes, I think it's worthy of having Doreen's name on the headstock, and I be rocking it at the next London Zulu gig :)

Thanks again :)

If you want to know a bit about Doreen Thobekile (who this bass is tribute to) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91128&view=findpost&p=885681"]http://basschat.co.u...ndpost&p=885681[/url] Post 51

She really was an amazing woman and performer. What an honour to have played in her band. Her daughter Ingrid is keeping alive Doreen's legacy.

Cheers x

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1383228715' post='2261836']
Lovely smooth sound that sits in the mix like a keystone.
[/quote]

Thank you mate! Yes, I'm very pleased with it, I was a little worried it might sound a bit too 'bridgy' if you know what I mean, and it does have that tighter thumpier sound than the neck pups I would normally select, but I really like the tightness of it, it sits in a mix really nicely so far. Cheers.