Why become a member? ×

Motley Crue/Shout At The Devil

NancyJohnson

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1380195831' post='2222113']
well to paraphrase the audience participation in "Wee Wee Baby" - B*ll*x! :D You wouldn't understand - they were a proper bikers band - not for [i]Harley[/i] riders :) - I seem to remember having a CG125 at the time though actually :D

Cinderella were brilliant - still listen to them now and Gypsy Road is still one of my favourite songs of the time.

Waysted were great too - Save your Prayers is an excellent album.

So what about Magnum? Not sure they've aged very well.... :(
[/quote]

Cinderella excellent, still listen to them (except Night songs album which I wasn't keen on). Loved Magnum at one time but they have 3 distinct career blocks. The earlyish albums were ok, all fantasy goblins and gnomes stuff (great for those long days playing D&D).., peaked at On A Storyteller's Night and again with the cracking Wings of Heaven then a bit samey since they reformed. Their best recent (still 6 years ago mind) album is Princess Alice and the Broken Arrow but not back up to their best. One band I never got round to seeing live :(

Again with Cinderella Tom Keifer has just released a pretty decent solo album. I flew out to NYC back in February and missed seeing him live by one day. I struggle with his voice (listen to the title track song from "Long Cold Winter" and as the solo climaxes think of Miss Piggy - it'll spoil it for the rest of your life) but he wrote some great songs and played well.

I never liked Motley Crue at the time. They were far to posey and American for me. It was Motorhead or nowt in my bedroom. I liked Saxon, but they'd long dropped off my radar when they brought out Break Like The Wind.

Anyway, the embroidery on the back of my denim jacket read..

Iron Maiden
Motorhead
AC/DC
Judas Priest.

But funnily enough after reading 'The Dirt' I listened to a bit of Crue stuff and they do have a few decent tracks. I think Kick-start My Heart is my favorite. But what I really like about them is how they are a band that is greater than the sum of it's parts. Individually they are all f**ck-ups, but as a band they worked and made a few bob while they were on.

My favorite Crue member is Mick Mars, who in-spite of his spine fusing into one, and his hip disintegrating still manages to rock. And is also very funny in his hyper-dry way,

WASP's Blind in Texas is probably one of the best rock songs ever!!! I love a song with a guitar solo at the start

Best WASP album by far is The Headless Children, but I agree they have done some dreadful albums too. I still go and see them in Wolverhampton every time they tour though, even if Blackie Lawless is a miserable git.

After an afternoon of nostalgia, been going through my remaining vinyl and got me thinking about who i would choose if I were lucky enough to be able to form a glam metal super group!
Who would you choose?
My suggestions (although highly liable to change):
Drums - Tommy Lee ( Crue)
Vocals - Jack Russell (Great White)
Guitars - CC Deville (Poison) and Dan Huff (Giant)
Bass - Duff (GnR)

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1380170084' post='2221732']
You've obviously never heard Come out and play by Twisted Sister or The Last Command by WASP :D
[/quote]

That Twisted Sister album is admittedly terrible (the song title 'Be Chrool To Your Scuel' almost excuses it), but I agree with randythoades, The Last Command is good. Diff'rent strokes. Are you thinking of the album after that with Blackie dressed as a tiger on the cover, Inside The Electric Circus? That album makes Theatre Of Pain look like a masterpiece. :D

Probably, I've got them both upstairs tucked away ( along with a circular saw picture disk of F*ck like a beast :D) I'll have to dig them out when the house is all back together.

The most remarkable thing i remembe about TS is how tall they were, they were all about seven foot - nice chaps though thy came out he stage door at Hammersmith and talked to us for ages.

I absolutely adore Wasp and Blackie is in my top three favourite vocalists. I wish they'd remix Electric Circus, though, I think it's a cracking album but the sound quality really lets it down.
The trouble is that I can't stand Blackie, he's nasty piece of work, and after he renounced their earlier stuff and said that he'll never play them live again, I refuse to go see them live ever again, especially as their first album is my favourite. Fortunately I don't let that stuff stop me enjoying the music, otherwise there'd be a ton of stuff I couldn't listen to.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1380280280' post='2223149']
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Decline-Western-Civilization-II-The-Metal/dp/6302725623"]http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/6302725623[/url]

Or buy this, and obviously a VHS player, unless yours hasn't packed up yet.
:)
[/quote]

Used to have that :D

Does anyone remember the Kerrang Video magazines? They were a great way to find new bands before the old series of interconnected tubes was around :D

I had a strange experience with Wasp on the headless children tour at Hammersmith Odeon. I was on second row right in front of Chris Holmes. Just before they hit the stage , a black lad on front row was removed by 2 heavies and never returned. Read into that what you like.
The show was excellent though.

Edited by skychaserhigh

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1380631969' post='2228127']
I was there . Johnny rod never played anything till the last 2songs. His lead. Wasn't working properly.or was he just crap?
[/quote]

I remember Johhny Rods bass solo where he was rolling around on the floor with his hands looking very static to me, yet a very good bass solo was played. I think his part was either being played by someone else, or it was a recording being played, the former probably.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1380280280' post='2223149']
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Decline-Western-Civilization-II-The-Metal/dp/6302725623"]http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/6302725623[/url]

Or buy this, and obviously a VHS player, unless yours hasn't packed up yet.
:)
[/quote]

I also still have that, AND a VHS player :blush:

I see that most of you guys are all ex-Glammies, so you'll be unimpressed with my latest ebay purchases... old thrash metal compilations on cassette, plus a bunch of early Whitesnake's B)

and this...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161130402498?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161130402498?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649[/url]