Why become a member? ×

Asymmetric Experiences?

4 Strings

My Roscoe Beck has an asymmetric neck and I only really find it a subtle difference. Its nice, I think it fits the hand better especially with a 5 string bass but I could live without it. Are you thinking about buying a bass with a asymmetric neck?

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1378893894' post='2206078']
My Roscoe Beck has an asymmetric neck and I only really find it a subtle difference. Its nice, I think it fits the hand better especially with a 5 string bass but I could live without it. Are you thinking about buying a bass with a asymmetric neck?
[/quote]

Yes, well having one made (Ruach). He's offered it as an option and I really like the idea but never played one.

I like slim (back to front) necks and and found it a little odd that the thicker part was on the E side.

Thanks andydyne, why not for 4 strings (the new bass will be a 4 string)?

Do you play with your thumb on the back of the neck?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1378896641' post='2206131']
Yes, well having one made (Ruach). He's offered it as an option and I really like the idea but never played one.

I like slim (back to front) necks and and found it a little odd that the thicker part was on the E side.

Thanks andydye, why not for 4 strings (the new bass will be a 4 string)?

Do you play with your thumb on the back of the neck?
[/quote]

It's to do with the shape of your hand as it wraps around the back of the neck, the thinnest point corresponds with the point at which your hand/fingers is/are starting to bend so you get the comfort of a chunky bit in the palm of your hand (also improving the tone as higher mass of neck gives more wood involved to resonate) and the comfort of a skinny neck where your hand is articulating.

I do play thumb behind (most of the time) and find it perfectly comfortable in either thumb 'mode' (behind or wrap around)...

I guess I'd mebbe not considered it for a 4 string as they always feel a bit small to me nowadays as am a mostly 5 string type chappy so even a chunky p neck feels nice n small...try one matey and see what you think, everyone's hands are different ;)

My 4 string ACG has got an asymmetric neck. In discussions with those in the know I was a bit concerned going from a Precision neck to the asymmetric. Originally decided against it but by accident ended up with it and I have to echo that it is very comfy to play. Makes more sense and is natural. Very chunky too

Can go from my other basses to the ACG too, doesn't feel too odd

My custom has asymmetric neck and flat board

Edited by sk8

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1378896852' post='2206137']
I can't help thinking that the neck would twist slightly under string tension with an asymmetric design?
[/quote]

My Warmoth 5 string has a slightly asymmetric neck and it hasn't moved for years (12 to be exact)

They are quite comfortable.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1378896852' post='2206137']
I can't help thinking that the neck would twist slightly under string tension with an asymmetric design?
[/quote]

Can't understand why? The strings don't have the same tension from G to E anyway and I hope necks aren't as flimsy as all that. Also the strings are pulling straight along the length rather than pulling at an angle across.

If the force was the same on each string and the neck thinner on one side than the other, then it should twist slightly unless the neck was strengthened especially to compensate for it (e.g. by moving the truss rod slightly towards the thinner end, or using a dual truss rod). But perhaps it's just by such a small amount it's inperceptible to the naked eye.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1378903392' post='2206262']
If the force was the same on each string and the neck thinner on one side than the other, then it should twist slightly unless the neck was strengthened especially to compensate for it (e.g. by moving the truss rod slightly towards the thinner end, or using a dual truss rod). But perhaps it's just by such a small amount it's inperceptible to the naked eye.
[/quote]

The use of graphite or even metal rods to stabilise the neck is another option.
And,as you say, it probably isn't a massive degree of asymmetry.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1378903392' post='2206262']
[/quote]

But that would apply to any neck, asymmetric or not, wouldn't it?

Certainly movements imperceptible to the eye may be more noticeable to the fingers.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1378904743' post='2206289']
And,as you say, it probably isn't a massive degree of asymmetry.
[/quote]

Here you go:

[attachment=143529:Asymmetric-neck-shapes-3.png]

And it may be applied along the neck thus:

[attachment=143531:Asymmetric-neck-shapes-1.png]

Gibsons have used this for years.

I'm a bit ambivalent on the whole thing...

I had an MTD Grendel 5 once and hated the asymmetric neck. It felt strangely unnatural and especially the thick part hindered the free movement of my thumb on the back of the neck while playing.
Now I have a JP Custom 5 Fretless and I absolutely love the asymmetric shaping on that neck! It just feels right and doesn't get in the way at all. The neck feels slightly less asymmetric and a bit thinner than the one on the MTD though. (Plus it got dual trussrods in case there should be any twisting.)

All in all I'd say it's just the same like with any other neck shape - there are some that fit you and others that don't.
So I wouldn't be too hasty with any generalizations. :)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1386401894' post='2299659']

I tried a few recently and really found it hard to adjust, Especially on a 5 string! All that meat behind the thicker strings just made the neck feel HUGE!

Personally, i'm not a fan at all. [/quote]

If it felt huge, it was huge I expect but not all asymmetrical necks are.

My MTD 535 has one that is quite shallow and feels great to me. I don't really notice the asymmetric part whilst playing, it just feels good to me. I certainly wouldn't call it meaty.

Having said that, I have owned & played many basses without this feature & I have never wished for this as the missing ingredient.

All I am really saying to the OP is that necks are very personal like most tactile things. I think that you need to ask Ruach if you can play some of their basses with different neck profiles to see what you prefer or take them in your favourite neck as a template/starting point.

It really is just a preference, and like any neck that you haven't played much, in the beginning it will feel a little weird. In general they tend to be a little more comfy to you if you play a ton and long periods of time.

Having said that, I found the only time it really made a hill of beans difference is when playing too high on the neck (for me that's past the 9th fret, where I rarely get anyway.) If you play a lot of upper register stuff it definitely helps you with reach and comfort. Its physics and ergonomics.

I work with two boutique US Builders, Brubaker and J. Backlund. Brubaker uses a nicely carved assymetric neck profile. it is one of the things that draws the players to it, and the majority of the Brubaker players are jazz, modern gospel and slappy NAMM chop guys in the upper register. The J. Backlund and Retronix uses a slightly thinner traditional jazz bass profile, symmetric. Most of the guys who play that are guys who play country, rock, blues, more fingerstyle or pick, "where the dough is" (nothing past the 5-7th fret.) Neither approach is better or worse.

I find most of the guys I know who play highly technical or progressive music all have assymetric necked instruments. Most of the rockers I know do not.

Does that help?

My 4-string ACG basses are all asymmetric and I'm a convert. Was a little unsure at first but now definitely in the fold. Don't find a problem swapping around, just feels slightly less comfortable on the C and D type profiles.