Why become a member? ×

Hard Rock Covers Band set suggestions...

redbandit599

Is "I Surrender" the David Sylvian song of that name? I"d guess not, but if it is, I'd really like to hear what a heavy version of it sounds like.

If I see a covers band, I want to hear some interesting/obscure choices as well as the obvious stuff. Even if it's a song I haven't heard. For HM, and since you cover Deep Purple, what about Glenn Hughes more recent-ish songs like 'High Road'? Can't find a youtube video of it, but here's 'Soul Mover' from the same album. (Though, I think Soul Mover isn't such a good choice as its a less 'immediate song).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXz6ASogp7w&list=PLowsEZEvFOXhWzPUHl_yXTnRtmVtpciQe

Some slightly less-obvious suggestions:

Raising Sand - Burn it up, Alchemy or Dirty Weekend
The Raging Honkies - Mary Lou
Cry Of Love - Highway Jones or Pretty as you please
Rival Sons - Pocketful of stones
Nazareth - Hair of the dog
Turbowolf - Ancient Snake
The Temperance Movement - Ain't no telling
Rose Tattoo - Rock 'n roll outlaw

For SLIGHTLY more modern (and I don't think anyone else has posted 'em yet, apologies if they have), Foo Fighters' or Feeder's rockier stuff seems to go over well (I've seen cracking audience responses to Monkey Wrench/The Pretender/No Way Back and Buck Rogers/Just A Day). \

From my own personal preference, there's some awesome 90s British rock that never seems to make it into cover bands' setlists - there's probably a reason as it might be a bit obscure, but with a late 20s/early 30s rock crowd slipping in a Wildhearts/Terrorvision/Skunk Anansie/Almighty number might push the right buttons.

Dammit, now I want to start a covers band :P

I can see many fun hours ahead researching Youtube for some of these, cheers guys.

Disco Tex and the Sex-o-lettes, now that's a tune, can't believe I haven't heard that before.

Liking the Rival Sons vid too, haven't been through them all yet. I know the other lads in the band are watching this thread too, so thanks from them as well!!

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1378151754' post='2196400']
Liking the Rival Sons vid too...
[/quote]

When I was in a rock covers band we did both Get What's Coming and Pressure And Time and they went down a storm.
Both big fun to play bass on, too. Great lines.

Edited by discreet

The nucleus of ours. We have 50+ numbers so do chop and change a bit.

Cocaine
Don't Believe a Word
Can’t Get Enough

Summer of ‘69
I’d Rather Go Blind
747 Strangers In The Night / Wheels of Steel

But Honestly
Mystery Song
My Kinda Girl
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Mr. Crowley
Freebird
Daddy, Brother, Lover Little Boy

Set 2
Rockin’ In The Free World
You Really Got Me
Tie Your Mother Down

Parisienne Walkways
Fool for Your Loving
Love Walked In

Children Of The Grave
Am I Evil
Doctor Doctor
Out In The Fields

Sin City
Paranoid
Wishing Well

Rock and Roll / Whole Lotta Love
Whiskey In The Jar

Edited by karlfer

It's always fun to chuck the odd song in from other genre's but play it the way you play the rest of the set.

That Adele song is a good example, the one that got covered by Black Stone Cherry.

Daft as it sounds stuff like Abba can sound great rocked up, its fun playing them and everyone in the room will know it.

....and then there's stuff like Slade, T-Rex, Stones, Bowie to lighten things up a bit after an intense Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir medley!!

A few from my bands set list that I haven't noticed listed already....she sells sanctuary, l'l Devil, Highway Star, Crazy Train.

Edited by Jonesy64