Why become a member? ×

Precision Basses with slim necks and narrow nut widths

nottswarwick

i find strings rather than necks to be the thing that sets of my tendonitis, have you experimented with lower tension strings? if i use anything other than thomastik flats i get problems.

Re. basses -
Fender PB70 precision available new from japan has a 40mm nut.
I have a 32" scale fender precision with 39mm nut, but they are very difficult to find.
My 57ri JV fender squier precision has a 42mm nut but the neck is amazingly slim and nice, so don't know if other 57ri basses are like this?

This is exactly the dilemma I'm having at the moment....I love my Squier CV 60's P (with John East P-Retro) - strung with GHS Pressurewound Flats - and I'm sure a good chunk of the tone is in the meaty neck. Nonetheless I find my Jazz (a Celinder) gets taken to most gigs as it's neck is much more friendly.

[FYI, I did stick on my Squier CV Jazz neck onto the Squier CV 60's P - and I thought the tone lost something. I had the same feeling about a Squier Precision Deluxe (Jazz width and contour neck, P-J pickups), though it was a very nice bass.]

I'd buy an Fender Precision of any stripe in a second if it had Jazz width nut (1.5") with a Precision bass thickness/contour front-to-back. This is very much what Musicman Sterling and Big Al necks are like, and they feel just great. I think the extra wood front-to-back does affect the tone of both of these instruments positively, and I would hope a similar neck would help retain the 'meatiness' of a Precision if I tried it on one of them.

Haven't found a way to do this apart from going custom though!

I played an MIA P yesterday in Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh that was just outstanding though. Just a perfect Precision tone...beautiful. It just resonated very well acoustically. Sigh.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1377809753' post='2192320']
My Yamaha BB has a very slim neck and does a perfect imitation of a P-Bass (P-Bass pickup). There's a thread on them in this section that shouldn't be too hard to find.
[/quote]

Which BB do you have Stevie?

Is it [u]exactly[/u] a Precision tone, or just most of the way there?

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1378400991' post='2199804']

[FYI, I did stick on my Squier CV Jazz neck onto the Squier CV 60's P - and I thought the tone lost something.
[/quote]

This was not my experience when i did it, but maybe i wasnt really listening out for it. I had the necks reversed for well over a year before putting the Lakland neck on it.
I

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1378401848' post='2199826']

This was not my experience when i did it, but maybe i wasnt really listening out for it. I had the necks reversed for well over a year before putting the Lakland neck on it.
I
[/quote]

Maybe just how those particular parts mated, or didn't, in my case.

Edited by funkle

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1378404309' post='2199878']
I just picked up a Nate Mendel and its 41mm, although its not jazz width it feels lovely and very easy to play, I do often wonder if we are overly infatuated with nut width when general circumference is as important.
[/quote]

I think it is a very individual thing, so hard to generalise and offer advice to people. I have found, for me, that I prefer 38mm width necks. Best of all 38mm and shallow. But 38mm and thicker are better than 40mm and shallow, which in turn are better than 40mm and thick. Anything bigger and I am really struggling to find it comfortable. I don't even have small hands, it is just the way it is.

I recently bought a Squier Silver Series Jazz bass on which the neck is 40mm. The bass is so nice - lightweight with a fantastic tone - but I find the neck slightly too big, so I'm changing it to a 38mm wide Mighty Mite. You wouldn't have thought 2mm can make such a difference but, for me, it does.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1377810233' post='2192332']
Lakeland Duck Dunn is basically a P bass with a jazz neck on it....

I also had a CIJ 70's RI P bass a few years ago, and that had a very slim neck on it - I think it might have been jazz dimensions.

In the end, Jon Shuker made me my perfect bass - P body with jazz neck on (any excuse to put up a pic of it!)

[/quote]thats spanking mate