Why become a member? ×

Loopers ?

lurksalot

I have nothing to add to this thread apart from the fact I once saw a very cool video of a bc member (sorry can't remember who) and a singist covering a Coldplay song. Trouble I think it was.
All he used was a loopy thing and a Stingray and all the singist used was his gob and a microphone.
Very cool indeed.

Rob, Ive seen your stuff and its great , but on a stage it just seems a bit odd to see an act build his part by playing in all the other parts first, rather than have his band mates do their bit . yes its a skill , but it rather eliminates the people skills that are needed to actually have a band .

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1377472119' post='2188020']Rob, Ive seen your stuff and its great , but on a stage it just seems a bit odd to see an act build his part by playing in all the other parts first, rather than have his band mates do their bit . yes its a skill , but it rather eliminates the people skills that are needed to actually have a band .[/quote]

I think with most popular music the thing that makes it interesting to listen to is the arrangement. When you hear it spelled out with a looper it's not as interesting, plus you know the dude is only doing it so he can play a 20 minute solo. :rolleyes:

Are they not the ultimate practice tool for when you need some sort of backing? I use mine as an awesome way to lay down a foundation to practice and improvise.

Maybe some day I'll become as good as this guy (who's certainly not a bedroom bassist :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AbBwTb9AZM

I have a boss foot pedal type looper which I've hardly used. I am thinking of getting a rack version instead, as I am very lazy with effects.

I have been recording bits on sound cloud over the last year or so. Tbh, since recording on GarageBand I have forgotten about it.

Loopers are great for us bedroom players .
I think they can prove your playing and timing .

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1377482423' post='2188054']Maybe some day I'll become as good as this guy (who's certainly not a bedroom bassist :))

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AbBwTb9AZM[/media][/quote]

I managed to get to the bit where he started soloing and then stopped watching because I figured he was just going to keep soloing.

The backing he laid sound sounded terrible. Genuinely terrible. Too many bass guitars sounds bad. Chords on a bass guitar sounds bad unless there's very little else going on. All buzzy noise and a glottal swamp of mids.

Someone take his looper away.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1377524902' post='2188441']
[/quote]

Here's where I think an alternative comes in: not using a looper connected to a bass, but building a loop without bass parts on a Kaossilator or similar, and then playing bass to it. It's like a band who never get tired of letting you practise and/or develop ideas.

Me, I love it.
I just make something impromptu on a Kaossilator, and then [b]must[/b] find something to do on the bass to go with it. I find that challenging and fun.
This may not teach me to play bass, but at least I'm having fun whilst not learning to play the bass.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1377530296' post='2188513']

Here's where I think an alternative comes in: not using a looper connected to a bass, but building a loop without bass parts on a Kaossilator or similar, and then playing bass to it. It's like a band who never get tired of letting you practise and/or develop ideas.

Me, I love it.
I just make something impromptu on a Kaossilator, and then [b]must[/b] find something to do on the bass to go with it. I find that challenging and fun.
This may not teach me to play bass, but at least I'm having fun whilst not learning to play the bass.
[/quote]

I do that also om my ikaossilator ;)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1377472119' post='2188020']
Rob, Ive seen your stuff and its great , but on a stage it just seems a bit odd to see an act build his part by playing in all the other parts first, rather than have his band mates do their bit . yes its a skill , but it rather eliminates the people skills that are needed to actually have a band .
[/quote]

Yes I'd probably look like a bit of a plonker building loops on my own on stage, its definitely more of a 'bedroom player' thing for me.

They don't have to be used for a two chord loop and an endless widdly solo though, I've never played a solo in my life.

Obviously a looper is not a substitute for a band, a full spectrum of instruments can produce a overall sound far richer than just a bass. I use my looper as I don't have the time to dedicate to a proper band, but still want to keep my hand in musically and be creative. The looper allows me to create more complex pieces on my own than I ever could as just a guy playing a bass.

Then again you might be on to something with the 'people skills that are needed to actually have a band'... I don't really like other people, I find them irritating and irrational... especially those you encounter on public transport...

Rob

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1377543926' post='2188705']
Not really a bass thing, but one use of a looper that's always stuck in my mind was K T Tunstall's debut on Jools' show with 'Black Horse & The Cerry Tree' a few years ago. Pretty effective IMO.

[media]http://youtu.be/pdu_IWxSSk4[/media]
[/quote]

That is pretty much what I saw this guy do , its ok for 1 song but for every time it just seemed he needed a band with him .

I definitely love my looper - great for writing and getting ideas flowing - good to try out specific soloing ideas over a specific chord - great too for layering effects with chords and bass lines - they're only as limited as your imagination - and yes I love playing with and listening to a live band but sometimes it's good to explore new ground and new sounds - loops + live playing and realtime looping/improv/interaction can be great - it can also be dull as sh** - it all depends on the gig and the player I guess... a great tool for working up ideas though

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1377524902' post='2188441']
I managed to get to the bit where he started soloing and then stopped watching because I figured he was just going to keep soloing.

The backing he laid sound sounded terrible. Genuinely terrible. Too many bass guitars sounds bad. Chords on a bass guitar sounds bad unless there's very little else going on. All buzzy noise and a glottal swamp of mids.

[/quote]

Can't disagree with that. If you had listened further you'd have heard a guy leaving no space at all, relentless jazz funk noodling we've all heard before a thousand times. I get depressed hearing it, but some folks like it.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1377543926' post='2188705']
Not really a bass thing, but one use of a looper that's always stuck in my mind was K T Tunstall's debut on Jools' show with 'Black Horse & The Cerry Tree' a few years ago. Pretty effective IMO.

http://youtu.be/pdu_IWxSSk4
[/quote]
Wow, very good indeed.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1377608431' post='2189318']
Wow, very good indeed.
[/quote]

wow,
wow, very good,
wow, very good, very good indeed.
wow, very good, very good indeed, but a bit samey.
wow, very good, very good indeed, but a bit samey, OK though ,
wow, very good, very good indeed, but a bit samey, OK though , for 1 song .

to develop Daves idea a little :rolleyes:

but for a song yes great , but the songs need to do something or go somewhere , and it just ends up like showing off and gets very repetitive after 4 songs of the same stuff .

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1377602324' post='2189190']
I definitely love my looper - great for writing and getting ideas flowing - good to try out specific soloing ideas over a specific chord - great too for layering effects with chords and bass lines - they're only as limited as your imagination - and yes I love playing with and listening to a live band but sometimes it's good to explore new ground and new sounds - loops + live playing and realtime looping/improv/interaction can be great - it can also be dull as sh** - it all depends on the gig and the player I guess... a great tool for working up ideas though
[/quote]

Everything Urb said.
I have an RC2 used it once, hate it, its too fidgity,...
but love the rc20xl its been a workhorse of a thing for me.
get your ideas down fast then add parts you think wil fit, if not delete the part and try something else.
also at a practice you can digi record your now song format on with just a mic in the room.
you can also sample on it wont be the best quality but again the idea is there,
you can put whole songs into it and record over the top to check your bass line.
great for learning to solo your blues licks over diff chord progressions.
will record 11 quick ideas.
i have used it before now to record a brass arrangement we came up with for one song so then i could email it
to them so the lazy buggers dont forget !.
yep...im sure i will think of another few uses for it,
Great bit of very handy gear.

Edited by funkgod