Why become a member? ×

I need to mod my nut - help required!

Evil Undead

So, my new bass needs to have the nut modded, as I need to use fatter strings (135 90 56 50). I've read that this isn't an easy job and that I should take it to a tech, but I don't have time - I need to have it done by tomorrow night really (rehearsal with new band, possible gig Sunday).

So I need to do it myself. How do I do it? What do I need?

Any advice very gratefully received!

Thanks

You'll probably find only the E ( 135) needs widening/deepening. Just did it myself on a new Star Bass yesterday, used a round mini file filing a little at the time on the saddle until the string sat in the groove ( as it was proud before). If you have some old strings of the same gauge, you could use the old E to create the groove( assuming it's not flatwound!) If you don't go mad it should not need any alteration to the saddle height. Don't go near any ebay listings from MDP however unless you want to see how it's not done.... As I had black saddles and the filing turned it to shiny, a black marker returned it to almost new.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1377173493' post='2184272']
Given the timescales involved, why not just hold off on changing strings until you have the time to do it "properly"?
[/quote]
PHUR! Far to sensible. Where's the risk and excitement in that?

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1377180612' post='2184420']

Not a bad shout.

Is there anything I can use to stop the slot getting any deeper? I only want to widen it.
[/quote]Line the bottom of the slot with a thin metal shim, foil maybe, but just applying pressure sideways and not down should work without resorting to this. You could also gently scrape away with a small craft knife and finish with the wet 'n dry.

Has this thread really reached 18 posts without anyone mentioning [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177038-mark-d-phillips-guitar-improvermaster-bodger-this-guy-cracks-me-up/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177038-mark-d-phillips-guitar-improvermaster-bodger-this-guy-cracks-me-up/[/url] ?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1377184326' post='2184490']
Has this thread really reached 18 posts without anyone mentioning [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177038-mark-d-phillips-guitar-improvermaster-bodger-this-guy-cracks-me-up/"]http://basschat.co.u...y-cracks-me-up/[/url] ?
[/quote]

No it hasn't.

:)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1377172883' post='2184261']
You'll probably find only the E ( 135) needs widening/deepening. Just did it myself on a new Star Bass yesterday, used a round mini file filing a little at the time on the saddle until the string sat in the groove ( as it was proud before). If you have some old strings of the same gauge, you could use the old E to create the groove( assuming it's not flatwound!) If you don't go mad it should not need any alteration to the saddle height. [b]Don't go near any ebay listings from MDP[/b] however unless you want to see how it's not done.... As I had black saddles and the filing turned it to shiny, a black marker returned it to almost new.
[/quote]

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1377180612' post='2184420']
Not a bad shout.

Is there anything I can use to stop the slot getting any deeper? I only want to widen it.
[/quote]
I actually widened the saddle not the nut, which surprisingly was wide enough but the cocktail stick suggestion seems good. If you do deepen it too much superglue and baking power mixed on the slot will build it back up again, google "Stewmac"