Why become a member? ×

Precision, to 5 or not to 5?

6v6

Hi all,

So I've got a bass purchase conundrum, would appreciate any input:

I've been playing an Ibanez SR500 for a while now, in a couple of bands, and although they aren't that popular around here, it works well - low action, thin easy to play neck, light.

However I only ever use the neck pickup soloed, cut the treble, boost the bass, trying to get that round, vintage, p-bass type sound. I put TI flats on it to get closer to that sound, which helped a lot.

I only play fingerstyle, never with a pick, and definitely never any of that slapping malarkey. Bands are blues/rock/rock-n-roll/country/folk type stuff - i.e pretty retro mostly, so from an aesthetic point of view, the SR does look kinda too modern (not the primary concern however..!)

So I think I need a precision - all the bassists I've seen live where I love the tone play them, and I've loved the tone of all those I've triied in shops (mostly the Fender MIM range, which all sound nice but many of them played terribly in comparison to my SR due to super-high action)

I've had a couple of failed attempts trying to buy a used Skyline Lakland Bob Glaub, after which I gave up and decided to keep saving for a while, so I've now got funds to look at slightly more expensive options (up to around ~1k, probably used)

Right, I'll get to the point.. One of the bands tends to change keys of songs a lot, so a 5er would allow me to play across the neck more, and avoid e.g flying up and down the neck to work around a song that's suddenly shifted between E and F due to front-man-capo-antics between rehearsal and gig.

I've heard people say "don't buy a 5 string precision, it's not the same", but is that really true? Gettting a 5 string precision or Bob Glaub would appear to solve both the key-change and precision-tone issues I have, but in what way are they "not the same"?

The plan-B is to get a good 4-string precision and trade the SR500 for an SR505 or maybe a 5 string Jazz.

Any words of wisdom out there from those who've trodden a similar path?

Ooh interesting. Personally I wouldn't limit yourself to just a P p/up, as much as I really like a P (check my sig :) ). The P option may suit you now but other bands may come along in the future that require more bridge type tones. For flexibility I'd go for a 5 string that has a P p/up, or does a good P impression, another type of pickup at the bridge and has that 'classic' aesthetic you're looking for. Suggestions would be a Lakland 5502 (I have one and it fits the remit very nicely) or, for a few quid more, a Fender Roscoe Beck 5, one of which is currently in the for sale section (I had an RBIV and know that it nails that P tone). All just my opinion of course, you need to try some for yourself.

EDIT: A Sandberg would also fit the bill nicely too.

Edited by ezbass

I play a 5 string Precision, a Mike Lull, with flats and it sounds great. I'd recommend one in a flash.

You could ease yourself into playing 5's with less expense by checking out a Lakland 55-01 or 55-02. There have been a few in the For Sale section. I don't think they all sold, so have a look. They will be very good basses.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1376988794' post='2181774']
I play a 5 string Precision, a Mike Lull, with flats and it sounds great. I'd recommend one in a flash.

You could ease yourself into playing 5's with less expense by checking out a Lakland 55-01 or 55-02. There have been a few in the For Sale section. I don't think they all sold, so have a look. They will be very good basses.
[/quote]

I think this is spot on. There are some seriously good 5 string Ps out there, all across the price ranges. The best thing is to play as many as you can and pick one that works for you.

Edited by walbassist

If you're Hampshire based, you could do a lot worse than to come along to the BassBash on 21st September.

Take a look at the range of basses that will be there (see the Events section) and you should find that you can try most of the options you're considering and talk to their owners.

Chris' Lull sounds great.
I'd go with a PJ config as well...just for a bit more movement on tone between differnent band gigs...and a PJ would be easier to move on...but the first thing I'd do is
stop the singer chopping and changing key on a whim. I am all for facilitating the best out of a song and vocals, but it stays in the key
that works, not the one he can't remember how to set up for.

Sold my last four string bass a few Weeks ago, I won't be going back :)
Another plus one for any of the lakland basses really, some great usable tones in all the ones I have tried, don't rule out a 55-02 without trying one as from your description of your bands they will fit in nicely and you can often pick them up on here, very very nice basses IMO , good luck and enjoy it what ever you choose. :)

Ps have you heard a stingray with flats in a country rock setting? Delicious ;)

Also nearly forgot, almost every single one if my favourite players uses a P bass and I usually like to hear them being played at local gigs, give me one in a live mix and I hate it every time, I'm not alone in this, your current bass will also play nicer than most P basses too. I like a ray or a P neck but I don't think they play better than most good Ibanez or Yamaha basses. See I have all the wrong gear on paper :D

Ive been playing 5-strings for a while and ive been asked to del for an iron maiden tribute band, i don't own a precsion so im now looking into buying one.
I could buy a 4-string for the gig but i generally only use 5-strings in my other bands so im thinking of a 5er.
I had thought that if the maiden gig becomes regular i'll buy the steve harris signature or buy a 5-string fender and convert that into a 5-string harris tribute bass....decisions decisions.
I was fairly surprised at the price of American standards to be fair

I play in a Soul/Funk type band and I probably use my 5 string more than I have in any other band for similar reasons that you mention. We move keys around and I can play a lot of the lines that would normally be down near the nut much higher up on the bass. My band LOVE my 5 string because I can get lovely fretted low notes on some of the old soul songs. I would recommend a 5 string to anyone, I have been playing one pretty much exclusively for 8 years now, and had a couple of short dabbles with owning a 4 string but sold them quickly due to lack of use.

Bass wise you could do a lot worse than the Roscoe Beck V, I have one at the moment, my second after foolishly selling my first. It does a very good P bass sound and has lots of flexibility and its something a bit different, i always get comments from people. It isn't however a Precision and doesn't get 'that' P bas sound perfectly. I use the neck pickup a lot for the soul stuff and its sounds fantastic but if your picky about your sound its not 100% there in term of P bass sound.

I have never got on with Lakland but they are incredibly well made and good basses. I will say, after playing 34",35" and 36" scale 5 string basses, the best B strings I have had have been on 34" scale basses. My Stingray 5 was an absolute beast, focussed and powerful and the B on my Roscoe Beck is tight and controlled as well.

I do agree with some of the comments above about and extra pickup, I really want a P bass for my soul band despite having my RBV, and if I had the money I would go with a Lull, Overwater or Nordy PJ5. On your budget I would perhaps look at a Fender P5 (there is one for sale on here at the moment) and look at having a J pickup added to the bridge or even try a East P retro preamp in it to give you a wider range of tones (also one for sale on here at the moment.....wish I had some cash)

It might also be worth looking at the brand new Squier Vintage Modified Precision 5 and getting it really well set up so it plays well and seeing how you get on with it. A good set up by someone that really knows what they are doing can make a cheap instrument play like a bass 4 times the price. You would always sell it quickly here if you wanted to upgrade in the future, or modify that with an extra pickup? The new Squiers are FANTASTIC and I have been using one for a while.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1376994116' post='2181865']

Bass wise you could do a lot worse than the Roscoe Beck V, I have one at the moment, my second after foolishly selling my first. It does a very good P bass sound and has lots of flexibility and its something a bit different, i always get comments from people. It isn't however a Precision and doesn't get 'that' P bas sound perfectly. I use the neck pickup a lot for the soul stuff and its sounds fantastic but if your picky about your sound its not 100% there in term of P bass sound.

I have never got on with Lakland but they are incredibly well made and good basses. I will say, after playing 34",35" and 36" scale 5 string basses, the best B strings I have had have been on 34" scale basses. My Stingray 5 was an absolute beast, focussed and powerful and the B on my Roscoe Beck is tight and controlled as well.

[/quote]

Different strokes for different folks, eh? :D

One of the main reasons I sold my RBVs was because I much prefer the sound of a 35" low B and the RBV is a 34". Believe it or not, having bought & sold two RBVs I genuinely can't remember if I bought one from you, or sold one to you!

@ 6v6, this all underlines how important it is to try some basses before you buy (like you needed me to tell you that, right? ;) ). Also worth mentioning that Precisions are capable of sounding wildly different depending on whether they're strung with rounds or flats. It's surprising how many people seem to think there is A sound for a Precision, when in fact there's quite a range.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1376996300' post='2181904']
Different strokes for different folks, eh? :D

One of the main reasons I sold my RBVs was because I much prefer the sound of a 35" low B and the RBV is a 34". Believe it or not, having bought & sold two RBVs I genuinely can't remember if I bought one from you, or sold one to you!

@ 6v6, this all underlines how important it is to try some basses before you buy (like you needed me to tell you that, right? ;) ). Also worth mentioning that Precisions are capable of sounding wildly different depending on whether they're strung with rounds or flats. It's surprising how many people seem to think there is A sound for a Precision, when in fact there's quite a range.
[/quote]

Your right, we are a diverse bunch and I think it highlights exactly why playing different basses is important. How good a bass plays or how good a B string sounds is often down to the players personal preference, we all interpret feel and sound differently. You bought my first Roscoe Beck, which I think then went to silverfoxnik, and then possibly back to you??? I did try and track it for a while because I wanted it back so badly but I lost the trail... :lol:

Not into 5-ers, but I can`t see why a 5-string Precision wouldn`t sound the same as a 4-string - aside from the extra notes available that is.

I`ve found that if you like the sound of a certain type of bass/amp whenever you hear it, there`s a good chance you`ll like it when you play it yourself. Not always the case though, a Stingray sounds right to me in anyones hands except my own. So try a 5-string Precision, it may well be the exact bass you`re looking for, and I can`t see tracking one down in a music shop as being too difficult, it`s not like it`s a rare bass you`re after.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1376994720' post='2181877']
I'd be tempted to check out the five strings in the Yamaha BB range.
[/quote]
+1

Ive recently gone with a Yamaha BB414 and for the Pbass sound you cant go wrong and the neck is just spot on.

Awesome suggestions so far, thanks for all the responses! :)

I'd considered a Stingray (it's *the* 5 string right?) but from sound clips I'm not totally sure the single-bridge humbucker would get me where I want tone wise, but the HS version sounds like it's definitely worth trying (if I can find one vaguely around my budget..). They look cool too ;)

I didn't even realize Squier made a 5 string precision, so that sounds like a great way to test the water without spending a lot, I'll try to locate a local shop with one and investigate.. :)

I probably should've mentioned that I have tried a 5er before (borrowed a friends Ibanez SR premium 5er, forget the model), but at that time mostly saw the B string as a finger rest! ;)

I did also use a MIM 4-string standard P for a while, again borrowed, and I always loved the sound, build quality and playability were only OK tho IMHO.

The Yamaha BB is also a good shout, IIRC there was one for sale on here cheap a few weeks back, wish I'd bought it but I was off on holiday at the time.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1377001294' post='2181990']

The Yamaha BB is also a good shout, IIRC there was one for sale on here cheap a few weeks back, wish I'd bought it but I was off on holiday at the time.
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212465-yamaha-bb415-fsft-withdrawn-please-delete/page__p__2162396__hl__bb415__fromsearch__1#entry2162396"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212465-yamaha-bb415-fsft-withdrawn-please-delete/page__p__2162396__hl__bb415__fromsearch__1#entry2162396[/url] shown as withdrawn you could still enquire , as it may not have sold?