Why become a member? ×

Precision, to 5 or not to 5?

6v6

If you want to sound like a Precision Bass , a Music Man won't do that for you . You can certainly get plenty of thump out of them , but they will always lack something of that gritty , growly low-midrange prescence that you get from a good P Bass . The Music Man 5 string sounds great in its' own right , but it's a very different sound to a Fender -style bass . The Yamaha BB's are a good option , although , ironically enough , the cheaper ones sound more like a Fender than the more expensive " Super BB" range , which sound more like the old neck-thru BB's that , despite being a PJ configuration , had a much wider frequency response than a traditional Fender . There's something of a Fender lurking in there somewhere , but overall the sound is far less muted and much more modern than a traditional Fender -style bass . All the BB's are well worth checking out though , regardless .

As for the Lakland option , the Bob Glaub is indeed a nice bass , and they offer five string Skyline nowadays , but as with all Lakland Skyline 5's , make sure you can live with the 35 inch scale . I personally prefer the Hanson /Lakland Neo Punch pickup to the Fralins because it sounds a little bit beefier and has a hint of compression , but ultimately , you probably wouldn't hear much difference between them anyway . The both sound overwhelmingly like Precision Basses . The Skyline Glaub 5 strings all have a hybrid Hanson pickup as standard unless they were a custom order . On the other hand , the Lakland 55-02 is , as others have mentioned , a very versatile bass with a wide range of sounds that offers both Fender and Music Man tones , so might be worth seeking out . There seem to be plenty of used ones at sensible money for sale on Basschat .

Edited by Dingus

I must say that I didn't even notice the difference when I first played my 55-02 and I don't notice the difference when I swap between it and my 34" scale basses. I does, however, produce a very pleasing B to my ears. YMMV.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1377008278' post='2182122']
I must say that I didn't even notice the difference when I first played my 55-02 and I don't notice the difference when I swap between it and my 34" scale basses. I does, however, produce a very pleasing B to my ears. YMMV.
[/quote]
I don't really notice either, I really like 55-02 basses and the proper USA version, probably the only bass on my radar at the moment, proper bass for all occasions I think.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1376985919' post='2181713']

I've heard people say "don't buy a 5 string precision, it's not the same", but is that really true?
[/quote] NOT TRUE as a fender precision fanatic and having extensively used precisions for a long long time, including the American fender precision 5 I can assure you that the American fender precision 5 sounds and play exactly like a precision except it has a 5th string - end of story

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1377011956' post='2182202']
Having never played a 5 string in my life, the only advice I can give is to go for a Precision with a 4+1 headstock as opposed to a 5-in-a-line one, they just look wrong IMO. Unless you go for a Lakland, then you get 3+2 which is even nicer.
[/quote]

I've tried all three layouts (Alleva-Coppolo, Mike Lull & Lakland) and, on balance, I actually prefer the 5-in-line to the 4+1.

Agreed on the 3+2 though.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1377012244' post='2182204']
I've tried all three layouts (Alleva-Coppolo, Mike Lull & Lakland) and, on balance, I actually prefer the 5-in-line to the 4+1.

Agreed on the 3+2 though.

:)
[/quote]

I think the reason I don't like 5-in-a-line is because they use the small closed tuners as opposed to the regular bass tuners, although I can understand the reasoning behind it.

MTD CRB 5 is another one to check out - had my eye on the ones at Bass Direct. And you can't go wrong with a BB! I don't like the Fender 5 string necks personally, 47.6mm is too wide at the nut for me so I find it uncomfortable fretting the low C. The BB is only 42mm at the nut though so much narrower, and the MTD is somewhere in between and very slim front to back, with an asymmetric profile.

If you're used to a slim Ibanez neck and have small hands this might be a factor so try before you buy if going for Fender/Squier!

Check out this Schecter custom P5. They get alot of love on talkbass.
Very versatile due to the bridge humbucker and GAK have them on sale for £389! Barryargain!

http://www.schecterguitars.com/products/bass/diamond-p-custom-5.aspx

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1377121171' post='2183771']
Check out this Schecter custom P5. They get alot of love on talkbass.
Very versatile due to the bridge humbucker and GAK have them on sale for £389! Barryargain!

http://www.schecterguitars.com/products/bass/diamond-p-custom-5.aspx
[/quote]Ooh that's nice and, as you say, bargaintastic!