Why become a member? ×

Action Woes

Josh

Now, is it just me or do any of you get a bit touchy when it comes to non-bassists who will pick up your bass and proceed to play very hamfistedly and then complain about your action being too low/high?

We all know its a personal preference and from one bassist to another our basses are going to play very differently and we accept that, I respect that we all have varying degrees of technique which will affect how the bass responds as well.

I'm not one to tell a guitarist how their action should be or complain about how easy it is to play, it's not my instrument and most guitars I have played the action has seemingly been fine but that might be down to bassists having a stronger left hand. Much the same for drummers, I'm not going to play on someone's kit and then proceed to tell them how they should set it up and what height the hi-hats and cymbals should be at.

Am I wrong to get tetchy? :P

I pick up my own bass and grumble the action is too low , too high , too much fret buzz , not enough fret buzz , too high from the twelth fret up , too low from the twelth fret up ... I could go on . There is nothing anyone else could say to me about my bass that could even come near what I have tormented myself with the past thirty -odd years .

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1375626155' post='2163565']
I think I am too long in the tooth to give a **** about such trivialities. :D
[/quote]

Ditto.
Anyone who says that sort of thing isn't really worth your time or respect.
I tend to adopt sarcastic indifference when someone tries to pull something like that.

'well, personally I don't like your shirt but I'll just have to try to get over it'

I guess I should explain with some more conext. This is down to my drummer who is a great drummer and I love the guy to bits, but he is also a producer/engineer and as such he does our demos and E.P's, I understand perfectly that having a 0.0mm action is horrible for recording as is a 4ft high action but it's just he feels the need to always comment on it not being high enough for him for when he rips it out of my hands, whacks the treble all the way up and starts playing old school Blink 182 songs.

There have been somewhat heated discussions over recording certain basses and when I decide to move a bass on, I know it is ridiculous but trying to get the point across to him that the action on MY bass is set up for ME, not for him as I'm the one who spends most days playing it and I don't want to give myself an injury forcing myself to play on a higher action seems to go over his head.

And for a long time now I've been somewhat at peace with the action on both of my basses, I can safely say that my action has been slowly moving up a mm every few months and I look back on how I had my previous basses set up and I'd even say they were too low.

Live & learn and all of that :)

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1375629176' post='2163610']
Sit at his kit and re-arrange the heights/angles on the cymbals, toms and snare. Then tell him they weren`t set up properly.
[/quote]

That was some lame advice! Get a grip on yourself!
Of course he should adjust the height and angle of the throne as well!
(...and, though technically mentioned, just to make sure: he should not forget the tom that is called kick drum and the cymbals that are called hi-hat either.)
B)

best,
bert

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1375625692' post='2163561']
....is it just me or do any of you get a bit touchy when it comes to non-bassists who will pick up your bass and proceed to play....
[/quote]

Nobody touches my bass....!

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1375627828' post='2163593']
This is down to my drummer who is a great drummer and I love the guy to bits, but he is also a producer/engineer and as such he does our demos and E.P's,
[/quote]

......but he is NOT a bassist. Personally, I would not bother having "heated discussions" or trying to reason with him.

Not worth it IMO, from what you say.

You are the bassist in the band and you are happy with your set up........'nuff said. ;)

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1375685963' post='2164121']
and shouldnt your thread be titled DRUMMER WOES ? :huh:
[/quote]

The same thing has happened with guitarists and vocalists at Uni :P

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1375627828' post='2163593']
I guess I should explain with some more conext. This is down to my drummer who is a great drummer and I love the guy to bits, but he is also a producer/engineer and as such he does our demos and E.P's, I understand perfectly that having a 0.0mm action is horrible for recording as is a 4ft high action but it's just he feels the need to always comment on it not being high enough for him for when he rips it out of my hands, whacks the treble all the way up and starts playing old school Blink 182 songs.
[/quote]

Have you considered sitting down with his drums and repeating the experiment?

I imagine that a few minutes of [i]adjusting[/i] is set-up, whilst wondering out loud which [i]cretin [/i]could have thought these drums [i]playable, [/i]should do the trick nicely - and probably prompt a half-hour of grumbling and re-adjusting, as he attempts to recreate his perfect set-up.

People learn by experience. Let him experience his own behaviour and learn from it :)

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1375689288' post='2164169']
I always think my action is too high, but if I bring it down , I get fret buzz, so I just leave it . Every time I see anyone else's, theirs is always quite high too.
[/quote]

It sounds like a tweak of the truss rod is required one way or the other (depending on where the buzz is)