Why become a member? ×

recommend me a Steinberger headless type bass

Cygnus x-1

As the tittle says I need a Steinberger headless type bass for using in an 80's type band. I don't know much about these bases except I thought they were cool back then.

I think Hohner make them?, what are the options for a fairly good sounding bass upto £350 - £400.
Must be cricket bat type and preferably black. Cheers.

Another vote for the Hohner B2A. If you fancy a drop tuner there is the B2AD. Nicely made, lightweight, huge output and a decent range of tones. There is a 'sweet spot' for me that sounds like a woody P-Bass - I've gigged mine many times and often take it as back-up as it is so small. And you can pick up a perfectly good one for £250 - well under budget.

My vote would go to a Hohner Jack - much easier to play on a strap, standing up than the cricket bat type - l have both & the latter is a delight to play sitting down, but is a bit of a handful on stage due to the way it 'hangs'. But that could just be be & my beer gut getting in the way if course!!!!

The Steinberger Spirit is a pale shadow of the Hohners, poor build and pissy weak pups. Go for an active S/H Hohner, should be around £300 for a near mint one.

The Hohner Jack Bass Professional is fantastic, but you want a boat paddle so go for a B2A or B2ADB, also superb basses for the money.

Keep an eye on this one..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hohner-Steinberger-Headless-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-With-Case-And-Active-Pickups-/171081745613?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27d54444cd

Edit, sorry, just spotted that it's fretless

Edited by Roland Rock

Got a second hand B2A a while back and wasn't getting on with it at home, mainly because it's so different to fenders which I'm so used to , however I used it in a band situation at the weekend just to try it and it was perfect.

I found a Hohner B2B, and I'm perfectly happy with its PJ configuration. Does a good P and does a good J (not that I can achieve the J, but my nephew did with a flick of the wrist).
Would like the B2A in addition, myself, but just wanted to say there's nowt wrong with the B2B.

As to the ergonomics, in my case changing the length of the strap to ultra short was exactly what was needed to move the bass to the right and the neck up, so that one gets less reach on the neck.
For many others though, a good idea would be a tiny, matte black semi horn mounted on the body.

Good luck with the hunt!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

My son loves my Spirit bass...and so do i.
Im really not sure about Nigel's comment about them being poor, each to his own of course, but i love the EMG selects. I even had one in my old Squier JV bass for a while.
Having owned 3 Spirits, and the Honer version i much preferred the passive Spirit tones.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/8582384739/"][/url]
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/8582384739/"]Bass pose[/url] by [url="http://www.flickr.com/people/davebass5/"]Dave Pearce (London)[/url], on Flickr

Technical Specifications: Number of Strings: 4
Body Material: Swamp Ash
Neck Material: Hard Maple
Neck Joint: Bolt
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Fingerboard Radius: 14"
Scale Length: 34"
Frets: 24
Neck Width at Zero Fret: 1.50"
Pickups (passive): Bridge - EMG Select Humbucker
Neck - EMG Select Humbucker
Controls: 1 - Neck Pickup Volume
1 - Bridge Pickup Volume
1 - Master Tone
Bridge: Patented Steinberger Bass Bridge with direct-pull 40:1 fine tuners
Tuning System: Patented, Steinberger Double-Ball System
Additional Strings: - Light
Overall Length: 38.75"
Accessories: Gigbag included

I also used to have a Washburn Status bass. Lovely white bass with gold hardware, although all wood (unlike the "real" thing). Rob green had a hand in designing it though.
Very rare
[url="http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Bass/Statusbass.html"]http://www.vintagewa...Statusbass.html[/url]

If you want a Steinberger, get a Steinberger. The problem with all the copies and derivatives is that the actual Steinberger is designed with an integral graphite reinforced neck to take care of unwanted resonances and provide rigidity and even response. Without a headstock, a wooden or ill-designed headless neck will just whip in the breeze like a ruler flapped over the edge of a desk. So if it is not a Steinberger, look at it to see if it the neck is made integrally to the rest of the instrument to give the appropriate damping to avoid tone-sapping resonances.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1375800375' post='2165810']
Once you've played an original graphite Steinberger, you'll see what we mean.

CB
[/quote]

No, i dont think i will. If i don't have any issues with the one i have i dont see how i suddenly will by playing the real deal.

I have played the real thing, and im in no way comparing the two, but with all due resptect just because its made of wood doesn't not make it an unplayable bass.

I think you've mistaken me for another poster. I haven't uttered a word of criticism against your bass. What I said was that the graphite basses are a totally different instrument.

Not quite sure how you make the jump to the copies being unplayable.

CB