Why become a member? ×

Back in the fold

scoobystig

Well after many years out of the gigging world, it looks like I will be making a return
Be doing some recording over the last couple of years, but now going back out on the road

Looking for a new rig, the old rig was a peavey fire bass with a 15 black widow and 2x 10s

I want something smaller and lighter for the average pub gig but able to deal with an enthusiastic drummer

The world has changed since I last bought anything with all these class d amps about

So I am looking for good suggestion for a rig, we are a rock band fairly bonjovi ish, check out iTunes and search for Ian Barrett for a listen to the album we released a couple of years back this will give you an idea of our sound

I want a nice warm solid tone, not overly interested in effects, but would like a compressor and maybe chorus, also see that a few amps have a sub harmonic. Does this add much

Do you guys that have this, use it much

All suggestions great fully received, don't mind a combo providing additional cab can be fitted under Neath

But ideally would be looking for a rack mount head, and cabs

Open to suggestions. Like the boom of a 15 coupled with 10s have also played just a 4x10 cab as well.
Not a fan of a single 15. But never used 12's

Thanks

I have gone over from a similar set up to yours to a Mark Bass LM3 a 2x10 and a 1x15 traveller cabs, not cheap but light weight and a massive sound for their size, I really can't express just how much of a positive effect it has had on me...a sound of similar quality to my old Mesa touring rig and I can carry it in and out of any venue without needing St John's ambulance on standby!

[quote name='scoobystig' timestamp='1374752776' post='2152750']
providing additional cab can be fitted under Neath
[/quote]

Ouch! There is not a lot of space under Neath. Might we be able to convince you to fit them under Holyhead instead? Or at least under Bangor?
;) :P

What others say: ignore the size of one speaker. Rather concentrate on total area. The days have passed that the godawful speakers of yesteryear could be "judged" by size.

Before we narrow it down, do you have a budget? 1500 quid will near buy you heaven on earth, but maybe you won't go there.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1374767711' post='2152991']

Ouch! There is not a lot of space under Neath. Might we be able to convince you to fit them under Holyhead instead? Or at least under Bangor?
;) :P

What others say: ignore the size of one speaker. Rather concentrate on total area. The days have passed that the godawful speakers of yesteryear could be "judged" by size.

Before we narrow it down, do you have a budget? 1500 quid will near buy you heaven on earth, but maybe you won't go there.

best,
bert
[/quote]

Hah Neath bl@@dy iPad predictive text

Budget is undecided as yet, depends on the bookings and that. We might have to stick to just earth without the heaven at the moment
But budgets always get extended for the right kit anyway, but for devils advocate lets say we have a budget of £600 to start

But this doesn't have to buy both cabs. The second can follow at a later date

But would love to see your idea for £1500

Just been told that first gig is Saturday at the Swindon town county ground music festival. Should be alright there as the sound company is the same one that does the T4 on the beach

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374757045' post='2152844']
Ignore the size of the drivers in a cab, because they are largely irrelevant and just listen to the cab as a whole.
[/quote]

Where is a good shop to go to, to try out loads of kit

I am Swindon, the biggest I know of is PMT in Bristol, but I am happy to travel

Warm solid tone - I`d look at an Aguilar Tone Hammer head, coupled with their cabs. Add in something like the Zoom B3 which has many effects, plus amp-modelling and DI, pretty much sorted.

That said, the best way to evaluate is go and listen to a good few bands, and when you hear a bassist with a tone you like, well that`s a good place to start. That`s what led me to Markbass, every time I saw a bassist with a killer tone, invariably they were using a Markbass rig.

First, and before I forget, the only amp I've tried the sub harmonic on was the Ashdown MAG 300. On that amp, it was only usable as an effect on slow notes, as it came in so slowly. Others may be better, but I do have the slight feeling that it is gonna cost due to the way good suboctaving works.

Lustworthy amps like Aguilar ToneHammer and Genz Benz Streamliner and many others are above the budget, I reckon, and since your nice warm tone may not come from a very expensive (valve) head, I think I'd have a look at an Ashdown for example.

Now I found my MAG 300 w. 410 quite uninspiring myself, but its EQ does give it flexibility when one is willing to dial. In your case this could mean a MAG 300 and two vertically stacked 210 cabs if they do them.
The step up to the AMB series is discussed. I haven't tried it, and have no idea whether the step up is worth it or not.

You could also try an Orange Terror Bass 500 head with just about any cab. It's the famous one trick pony with heavily dipped mid frequencies that might hinder push through, BUT many people love it.

Still, me, I'd probably go for a not too dear class D head like the Ashdown MiBass 550 with an Ashdown CL cab that fits the budget. Some good EQ on the head, and you can make a fairly good nice warm tone.

Oh, now I think of it: how about used gear? Or did you already state that?

b,
b

I don't mind used gear if its in fairly good nick
Not overly worried about the sub harmonic just wondered about it

The first proper head I ever had was a peavey mk viii, which I swapped for the firebass, but in retrospect that was a bad move as I much preferred the mk viii
In my opinion the tone was better and it had a built in compressor and chorus which was nice on slower numbers

I was going to buy a BH250 to use with a 1 x 15 cab for pub gigs and such (I'm starting out again too) but I notice TC have some offers on at the moment. By a BH500 and cab, get a second cab for free e.g. amp and two 2 x 10 cabs for £585 (Dawsons music). Seems like a good deal and I might be tempted..

Yes! Paul spaketh truthe!
Go test the BH500 plus double cab. I'ts a good deal - for good stuff that I think migh fit your requirements quite well.
The built-in tube sound is really nice, as is the compressor.
Really nice amp at that price point, and one that I think you can't go wrong with. I'm not saying it's the best stuff ever, mind, just that it is agreeable and good enough. Me, I prefer it above the mentioned Ashdown 300 / 410 (which here in Norway is more expensive).
I would have bought one recently had it not been for the shop asking for money for it - something that took me quite by surprise, and that didn't agree with my wallet.

BTW, in my previous post I was mixing up stuff. A new MiBass 550 of course is not as cheap as I hinted at. That said, there are at least two used ones on the BC Marketplace.
I am not the person to tell you whether the MiBass could do a better job for you than the BH500.

Another option: MarkBass do these tiny cabs that can scream, and the heads to go with them. More modern maybe than what you described, but they are not clinically modern, and do add their own timbre. Me I like them. Every time one is played on a stage I go like Mmmmmm ... bass tone!
I have no idea about the different models though. Others must chime in for that.

b,
b

Another one spaketh truthe!
At 25 quid only for the Sansamp clone from Behringer, it's a no-brainer, says my no-brain.
It widens your scope, coz like Chrismuzz indicates, you're not limited to certain amps anymore, and the cabs this way can be allowed to be of the more precise and airy type that will take any signal and mainly represent it faithfully. That imho is a [i]huge[/i] advantage.
YMMVBIAR.

b,
b

Here's a vote for looking at Hartke amps aswell as the TC, Markbass and Ashdown gear. Peavey 410 or 210 cabs are awesome, a bit heavy but nigh indestructable. And cheap!
I use an SWR amp, they sound great to me, very fast!

The first thing I would do is go and test the BH500 with a 2x10 cab, and also again with a 2x12, and see which you prefer, as they are very good amps. Youtube demo's can be good, but hearing them in person is always better, so i'll add in that if you can't find something you like in the shops, ask around on here, as someone relatively local may have what you want and allow you to demo it or hear it at a gig.

Liam

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1374756816' post='2152839']
The usual advice from me: a 500 watt amp and a 212 or 2 112 cabs.

Modern gear sounds so much better.
[/quote]
What Chris said, I use a LMIII and a Genz Benz NX2, it's nice and warm, very light and could part the hair on an elephant's arse at 100 metres.