Why become a member? ×

The most expensive Basses EVAR!

alstocko

According to this website...

http://www.vintageguitar.com/special-features/25-most-valuable-basses/

I knew that the '60-'62 jazz would be at the top, after Guy Pratt talking about his that he got from David Gilmour as a wedding present after lusting after his for years, but I didn't realise that there would be so many Gibsons!

Discuss

Chicken feed compared to proper basses :lol:

$4500 dollars will get you a decent but student quality upright bass, another $800 will buy you a set of gut strings to put on it and if you sold the stacked knob Jazz at the top of the list you will even be able to buy a pernambuco bow so you can hear it!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I forget who made it, but there was a $100000.00 bass in Bass Player magazine a few years ago - it was some ancient piece of wood, with the body and neck covered in gold leaf and real diamond inlays

Edit: it was a Ritter, this one infact - Mammoth tusks nut anyone?

[quote] The Ritter Royal Flora Aurum, as it’s called, has a body carved from a rare, solid piece of maple while the nut is carved from 10,000-year-old mammoth ivory. The fingerboard is decorated with a floral inlay pattern made of 24-karat gold. There’s even a black diamond set in platinum decorating each leaf. Even the bridge, tuner buttons and knobs are cast in gold. The knobs on this luxurious bass hold an additional embellishment, they’re both topped with brilliant-cut diamonds (3.3 carats total). The Flora Aurum is a work in progress and is on hold for one lucky buyer.[/quote]

Edited by Graham

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1374748375' post='2152668']
This is guitar collectors adding basses to their collections. No consideration made to playability or indeed bass history. It's ticking boxes, first Gibson electric bass, first Rickenbacker bass etc
[/quote]

+1

This is a list that we don't need to take seriously.

sure we've done this list before - a load of rubbish - real collectors will know what they want and what stuff is worth and why it has value. Non collectors won't care - I think this has been written to fill space in a magazine for guitarists

This list is bullshit . It's a cheap way for the magazine in question to fill a few pages without the the person responsible even leaving their computer . Some innacurate cliches and unsubstantiated generalisations accompanied by some third - hand graphics .

That's really the most RARE basses, which in turn makes them costly. Though I question that list.

I think a 62 P would be more in demand than most of those. That's the reason that make a 62 re-issue. They go between 5 -10 K depending on condition. The $350 Hofner Icon's are every bit as good as the old original Hofners (maybe better) except for the plastic tuners and pickguard -- which is just cosmetic.

Edited by Lowender