Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Backline

hitchy64

I need a bit of advise. For the last four years I'v been playing gigs with a Peavey TVX 410 with an Orange Terra Bass 500 head. It's a great rig but I never have the volume above 2 !!!!! It just seems a waste that I'm not using the head to it's full potential, it's just ticking over all the time. The other guys in the band have suggested I get a 210 cab, up the volume and DI through the Bass bins too. Which way should I go, without having to spend shitloads of money???? cheers, Hitchy.

Don't do anything. Unless you can get a loud enough rig (with the right sound) to replace it and come away with with money in your pocket , I wouldn't bother , is the TVX a heavy cab ? maybe the weight is the issue with that 210 call . but no need to DI if you get the right lightweight cab .
When and where do you play, I am not a million miles away from the CW postcodes

Those TVXs are great cabs. Unless it`s becoming too heavy I wouldn`t look to change it. Besides, whatever size cab, you`ll still be putting the same power through it. Plus, unless you`re all going to be going through the PA, I can`t see any benefit in the bass going through it on its own. If you like the sound of the TVX getting a 210 version would obviously make life easier re portability, but I still wouldn`t put the bass through the PA without the rest of the band - all or nothing.

Sounds a bit of a dumb question now, because I am happy with the rig, although the cab is heavy, I'v put wheels on it now. It's a standing joke that it never goes beyond 2, it was mentioned that being able to turn it up would somehow make it better. Sounds bollocks to me, was wondering what you guys thought. The gigs we play are just pubs around the Crewe/Sandbach/Northwich area. The guitarist mic's up through the PA, I never do, it's more than enough. I guess that answers my question then. Cheers. Doe!!!

Hmmm, usually bands do this to avoid being overly loud on the backline, yet your guys seem to want to get you to turn up more, but have a smaller cab to reduce the volume you`ve just increased, so in effect, getting you to spend money to have the same on-stage volume. Now valves do like to be pushed, but OTBs are very loud and if you push one of them, even with the most inefficient of cabs, you`ll most likely be too loud on-stage for the rest of the band. Sounds to me like they aren`t overly happy with your sound, and think pushing the valves will magically sort it. Probably want "definition". The age-old enemy of the bassist, often quoted by a guitarist.

[quote name='hitchy64' timestamp='1374442477' post='2148884']
It's a standing joke that it never goes beyond 2, it was mentioned that being able to turn it up would somehow make it better. Sounds bollocks to me, was wondering what you guys thought.
[/quote]

I think your guitarists may be thinking of power-tube distortion. On really old-school all-valve heads, they did (apparently) sound better when pushed really hard, because you started to get some valve-style breakup in the power-stage.

On a modern amp, it's not necessary. On a modern amp with a solid-state power-stage, it's bollocks.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1374504824' post='2149451']
On really old-school all-valve heads, they did (apparently) sound better when pushed really hard,
[/quote]

in my experience thats what guitarists say to justify why they can't keep it down in practice sessions or on stage , even if its true

[quote name='hitchy64' timestamp='1374442477' post='2148884']
it was mentioned that being able to turn it up would somehow make it better. Sounds bollocks to me, was wondering what you guys thought.
[/quote]

you are indeed correct young grasshopper

this is definitely guitardspeakbollocks :)

There is a definite lesson here, that we should all be man enough to accept when we are next faced with a similar situation:-

[b][i]"Guitarists generally talk out the back of their neck."[/i][/b] - especially with regard to bass playing and gear.

The words pinch and salt come to mind.

What's actually wrong with your rig?

It makes no sense to change your gear, just because "it isn't working hard enough".

The way to go without spending any money at all is to do nothing and enjoy your "great sound".