Why become a member? ×

The Bass Book: A Complete Illustrated History of Bass Guitars

Dandelion

two Works shops in chatham - i found me a copy yesterday :lol:

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1374738926' post='2152510']
To be honest, I flicked through it in one of their shops a few months ago and decided it wasn't worth a fiver!
[/quote]

but consider the cost of a monthly issue of BGM or any other glossy monthlies and i dont think its a bad buy if you have a fiver to spare - certainly some useful bathtime reading in there about all the early history if you werent already familiar

Edited by steve-bbb

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1375427143' post='2160987']
but consider the cost of a monthly issue of BGM or any other glossy monthlies and i dont think its a bad buy if you have a fiver to spare - certainly some useful bathtime reading in there about all the early history if you werent already familiar
[/quote]

True. I had just booked a holiday so was watching my pennies :lol:

Had a hardback one for years. Lots of lovely, GAS inducing pics.
Don't know about the paperback version, but the hardback's got a couple of lovely fold-out pages for some VERY special basses (I think a '61 Jazz, Pino's fretless MusicMan etc...).

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1376515637' post='2175455']
Looked at it in town the other day, nice enough book but no Wal pictures, put it down then
[/quote]

Au contraire mon petit soutien-gorge; I seem to recall a lovely Wal with a leather and press-stud affair in there somewhere...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1376583940' post='2176494']
Au contraire mon petit soutien-gorge; I seem to recall a lovely Wal with a leather and press-stud affair in there somewhere...
[/quote]

I've just had a quick look in mine and there's no photos that I can see. Just a brief mention on page 117 in the MIDI bass section.

• 6 months later...

There must be two editions of this book. There are two pictures of Wals on page 48 in mine but no picture of Jamerson's bass on page 51 (just a tiny picture of him on the front cover of Bass Player on page 11).

Might have to go out and find the other edition now.

Good grief - book GAS. :rolleyes:

Mine has no pictures at all on page 48, and a picture of Jameson playing bass on page. The only reference to Wal in the index is page 117, which is a mention in the section on MIDI basses. There are no pictures on page 11 of my copy.

My copy came from 'The Works', but our local Leicester branch is closing down for renovation. Hence while I don't know how much it was, I'm guessing my partner paid much less than the £4.99 sticker price. The book is available online at their website, but for £5.99, and you need to spend £10 to get free postage. (I'd presume that the identical looking copy on the website is the same edition as what I have, but obviously that's not guaranteed.

The cover picture in the ebay listing posted by funkgod is identical to my copy.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1376951505' post='2181556']
Mrs V got me this yesterday (cos she's good like that!)

Anyone know what the thingy / doodad is on Jamerson's P bass on page 51?

It looks to be 'twixt bridge and socket.
[/quote]

Looks like an early/prototype Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer compressor thingummy jobbie to me, but I may be as wrong as I usually am......

[attachment=156724:danarmstrong_orangesqueezer_001.jpg]

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1393854192' post='2385005']
Looks like an early/prototype Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer compressor thingummy jobbie to me, but I may be as wrong as I usually am......

[attachment=156724:danarmstrong_orangesqueezer_001.jpg]
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1393861041' post='2385136']
When was that Jamerson photo taken?

There were a few different manufacturers making effects units that plugged directly into the guitar or bass by the mid 70s.
[/quote]

Wow - I never heard of fx units in the jack socket before.

Thanks guys, colour me educated!