Why become a member? ×

Jaco pastorius.

marcus bell

no doubt that guy was a very gifted musician. did he play music that i wanted to listen to, no (but some stuff was fantastic), was he commercially succesfull, erm not really., dont get me wrong i love some of WR's music and alot of Jony M's music but for me James Jamerson was a much better bass player, but thats just my taste.. James Jamersons bass lines talked to the common man and he did it so beautifully. he was a real genius imo. of course this is just musical taste

Edited by bubinga5

The problem I have with him is that none of his music moves me in any way. Teen Town? It doesn't make me feel anything at all and because I tend to listen to music more from an emotional standpoint than a technical one (which is why most fusion - which I used to love - now bores me to death) it just does nothing for me. Before someone points to Joni Mitchell, I have both the Shadows and Light dvd and cd and quite honestly don't enjoy either; I'm not a fan of her music.

FWIW I was around at the time too and the big 2 were Stanley and Jaco, possibly in that order. IME Jaco only came to eclipse Stan in terms of impact and popularity after he died. But IMO there is no denying Jaco was [i]one[/i] of the great bass stylists.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1374327664' post='2147630']
But IMO there is no denying Jaco was [i]one[/i] of the great bass stylists.
[/quote]

Mr Teazie Weazie was one of the great hair stylists but you don't get mass fanboi attacks when his name comes up.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1374338963' post='2147815']
Mr Teazie Weazie was one of the great hair stylists but you don't get mass fanboi attacks when his name comes up.

[/quote]

Ah, so [i]that[/i] was the model for all those sinister Magician posters.... ;)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1374304873' post='2147313']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mPNPIfEPNk[/media]
[/quote]

[attachment=139512:Pick_Onio.jpg]

Thought you might like a pickled onion with that cheese... :ph34r:

:lol:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1374340500' post='2147833']
Note the spelling variations: Teasie-Weasie / Teazie Weazie.

Bit like the Pastorious / Pistorious thing. Two leading 'stylists', [i]both[/i] with commonly mispelt names. Bizarre coincidence or dark conspiracy? You decide. :ph34r:
[/quote]
I've never seen them in the same room at the same time.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1374341524' post='2147847']
You're surely not suggesting Pastorius could be cheezie-weazie are you?
[/quote]

Nah, just teazing for a cheap wheeze, if you pleeze... :ph34r:

([i]Atchoum[/i]... :yarr: )

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1374438405' post='2148814']
Oh i am.. so much so.. Swapping the neck out for a Maple P neck just like in his Modern Electric Bass video! GimmeGimmeGimmeGimme :gas:
[/quote]

He was only using that neck as a temporary measure while the original rosewood neck was being repaired .

This jaco thing must stop. As Pat Metheny says "there will only ever be one jaco, I think people should get over it, and just leave his music as it is....."

I agree a million percent , out of all the people i've seen play jaco stuff, maybe twice i thought "woaw this is actually nice"

I respect the man and what he did for bass, but it must be left alone and listened to. Not butchered like most people do....

This is just my opinion, I totally respect the fact people would wanna learn it as personal challenge, so I am not trying at all to start a can of worm, or a fire.

cheers

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374179577' post='2146251']
Well , the thing is that Jaco and the other artists you mention were radical departures within their given discipline , and changed their medium forever . It is possible for all kinds of fancy Dan bass players to come along with amazing chops and technique , but so far most have struggled to make the impact that Jaco did . I wouldn't put Jaco in the same bracket as Mozart or Shakespear for various reasons ( I could explain why , if you like ) , but in his own modest way he was a genius of sorts , but not because of his technique . His gift was that he thought about and interpreted music differently to other people , and happened to do so via the medium of the bass guitar . Like just about every genius you can think of , Jaco was unconventional , a radical , and unlike anything that had come before him on the bass guitar . He wasn't alone in that by any means - there were other fantastically gifted players of that era - but at his best he was brilliant in his own right . He was versatile too , despite having such a distinctive signature style . He was a World- class jazz bassist and accomplished soloist , but his work as an accompanist in various genres is equally accomplished and shows great maturity and sensitivity to the overall musical picture rather than just his own role in it . Regardless of your own personal taste ( which you are fully entitled to , I hasten to add) Jaco was the real deal , the complete package . I am not one of Jaco's slavish followers by any means , and I couldn't even say he was the player I myself have enjoyed or or directly tried to emulate the most , but his stature on the instrument is undeniable .
[/quote]

So eloquently put. I also like the post where someone also mentions Jamerson. Surely, much of his work has been copied, re-copied and re-interpreted to form the foundation of a lot of bass playing today. He's probably influenced many people second hand without them even knowing it.

I think Jaco is special, for all the reasons quoted above and I don't think I could say it better. I must admit when I first checked out Jaco when I was younger after hearing so much about him, I was initially disappointed. I think when you first dip into someone's music (who is new to you) it can be hit or miss. For instance, you are listening out of historical context and you might just choose a track that isn't particularly good, or to your tastes. I didn't like or understand some of his stuff back then. However, I kept an open mind and my tastes and appreciations have changed over the years. I think historical contexts of when he did all this was important. It is almost easy to dismiss him if you don't know the history as there as so many bassist doing amazing licks and chops on YouTube these days. This stuff wasn't happening so much back then. Love him, or hate him, one think is for sure he was definitely an innovator.

There are very few bass players who have such an identifiable sound. Jaco was not the complete player everyone thinks; hi simprovisation skills were actually quite limited, for instance, and a lot of his work had precedents (listn Alphonso Johnson alongside JP on Black Market etc) but he changed the way we hear bass forever and made his mark. I agree that the kind of hero worship that ends with people wearing headbands to look like him is seriously naff. The best way to honour JP is to find your own path, like he did.