Why become a member? ×

Jaco pastorius.

marcus bell

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1374241512' post='2146804']
I've read stuff on this site which would suggest if Jaco had the first clue about bass playing he wouldn't have used a fender, so I don't rate him at all.
[/quote]
......and imagine how good he could have been if he'd have played a Stingray?

Well I'm going to be a small voice of dissent here.

Of the few bits I've heard, I found his general playing pretty ordinary and nothing to get particularly excited about.
The solo stuff, to me, is just unlistenable and tedious.

I guess it's a bit like art, some people think poo stained sheets are fabulous, other people prefer watercolours.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1374266672' post='2147127']
Well I'm going to be a small voice of dissent here.

Of the few bits I've heard, I found his general playing pretty ordinary and nothing to get particularly excited about.
The solo stuff, to me, is just unlistenable and tedious.

I guess it's a bit like art, some people think poo stained sheets are fabulous, other people prefer watercolours.
[/quote]
Who would you consider extraordinary?

There's a phenomena of human achievement which is that it takes much, much more effort to break a boundary than copy it. We can all play 'Teen Town' now, but it took some real talent to write and play it when most other people were struggling with the latest ACDC riff. In fact, most people didn't conceive or think in terms of entirely 16th note bass lines at the time.

Edited by visog

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1374267540' post='2147142']
Who would you consider extraordinary?
[/quote]

Nobody springs to mind really.

To me, bass players are either 'ok' or 'cr*p' - I don't really grade them with any more granularity than that.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1374268992' post='2147164']
In fact, most people didn't conceive or think in terms of entirely 16th note bass lines at the time.
[/quote]

And I think that's probably where I totally lose interest in him.

Too much 'cleverness' in such a small space with only a handful of people really 'getting it' and a load of 'hanger ons' pretending to.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1374269446' post='2147168']
Too much 'cleverness' in such a small space with only a handful of people really 'getting it' and a load of 'hanger ons' pretending to.
[/quote]
I'm really grateful that i was one of that handful. I can't say i saw too many 'hangers on' at the the time. Jaco is more famous after his death than he was in life.

There's a phenomena of human achievement which is that it takes much, much more effort to break a boundary than copy it. We can all play 'Teen Town' now ...
[/quote]
Speeak for yourself. I'm confident I can't play Teen Town now, not that I've ever tried. I'll have to dig it out and have a listen or perhaps I won't bother. More importantly, it really is quite ridiculous the way people keep alotting their own experience to everybody else.

.. .but it took some real talent to write and play it when most other people were struggling with the latest ACDC riff.
[/quote]
I've never had any interest in AC/DC and I couldn't recognise their latest riff if you paid me.

... In fact, most people didn't conceive or think in terms of entirely 16th note bass lines at the time.
[/quote]
So, who were Pastorius's influences there? Jerry Jemmott? James Jamerson? Who else?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1374266672' post='2147127']Of the few bits I've heard, I found his general playing pretty ordinary and nothing to get particularly excited about.
[/quote]

What do you think of this:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mZErvdXVM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mZErvdXVM[/url]

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1374274269' post='2147223']
It seems strange to me that we cant all just enjoy what we enjoy and be happy at that.

I love Jaco but honestly have no interest in convincing anyone who doesn't otherwise!

I am me, you are you...we are all different.
[/quote]

+1

I can't argue with that. :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1374270556' post='2147180']
Speeak for yourself. I'm confident I can't play Teen Town now, not that I've ever tried. I'll have to dig it out and have a listen or perhaps I won't bother. More importantly, it really is quite ridiculous the way people keep alotting their own experience to everybody else.

I've never had any interest in AC/DC and I couldn't recognise their latest riff if you paid me.

So, who were Pastorius's influences there? Jerry Jemmott? James Jamerson? Who else?
[/quote]

I struggle to play Teen Town properly but it has entered the common vocab.

AC/DC is just indicative of the musical environment... no slight intended but bass was particularly apirational save for a few players.

Good point about Jamerson and JJ - pioneering 16ths - I guess Jaco just did it faster, a little higher in the mix and with more mid-punch...