Why become a member? ×

No alcohol during Cruise Ship work at all? Is this the norm?

coffee_king

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1373708013' post='2140742']
Can an employer tell you what to do outside of work hours?
[/quote]

Depends on the job/career I guess. Not 'tell' but they can expect a level of responsibility.

A musician is not one of those that I would expect to be 100% straight laced. It's only music.

Two weeks without beer. Well in my drinking days I wouldn`t have even considered it.

But, as others have said, if looked at as a job, then it`s just part of the conditions, same as wearing a shirt & tie - if you`re not prepared to do so, then don`t take it.

Its probably for heath and safety reasons. It's not uncommon for work places with a mission-critical operations role to have a no tolerance approach to alcohol. Yes exceptions could be made in specific circumstances but at the end of the day its easier for the company to manage a blanket ban rather than get drawn into debate over the relationship between roles and booze. Airlines have the same approach to mobile phones - not all cause problems but some do (like Nokia). The airlines don't want to get drawn into debates either.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1373712708' post='2140831']
I've got a similar job - after making the dinner for my girlfriend I can have a few drinks, but picking up the bass is strictly forbidden.
[/quote]
My double bass lives in the kitchen.. no way of enforcing a blanket ban there. :ph34r:

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1373799504' post='2141656']
[i]Maybe you have to stay sober in case the ship sinks and they want you to play on the maindeck to calm the passengers. You dont happen to know nearer my God to thee do you?[/i]
[/quote]

You really don`t want the OP to take the job, do you :lol:

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1373712336' post='2140821']
Its probably for heath and safety reasons. It's not uncommon for work places with a mission-critical operations role to have a no tolerance approach to alcohol. Yes exceptions could be made in specific circumstances but at the end of the day its easier for the company to manage a blanket ban rather than get drawn into debate over the relationship between roles and booze.
[/quote]

A blanket ban is easier to enforce than a selective ban on the basis that being intoxicated is an either / or condition. And, to be fair, many of the jolliest stories we hear on BC involve excessive consumption of the Devil's Buttermilk.

I note that the OP does not mention whether engaging in sexual intercourse with [s]passengers[/s] customers or fellow employees is also prohibited and whther such a ban is partial or total.

"Bass-chappie!"

"Master-at-Arms?"

"Did you shag Mrs Mulwray, the Texan oil heiress last night?"

"No, Sir. Tops and fingers only."

"You may carry on, Bass-chappie"

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1373817873' post='2141902']
I can't believe that this is even a question, it's a sad reflection on society that alcohol has become that important.

Also "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Its just sounds so.....Nazi to me." I think you need to re-examine German history 1935-45.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

What do you mean has become? Its the most important thing in the whole wide world!!!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1373817873' post='2141902']
[...]
Also "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Its just sounds so.....Nazi to me." I think you need to re-examine German history 1935-45.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Did you not see The Young Ones in the 80s?!

• Haha 1

Nonsense rule.

1. you aren't going to be driving so who cares.
2. they can't exactly throw you overboard if they catch you drinking afterhours.

I'd take a wig, then go to the bar after the show, sit down looking like one of Whitesnake and get the drinks in!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1373817133' post='2141890']
A blanket ban is easier to enforce than a selective ban on the basis that being intoxicated is an either / or condition. And, to be fair, many of the jolliest stories we hear on BC involve excessive consumption of the Devil's Buttermilk.

I note that the OP does not mention whether engaging in sexual intercourse with [s]passengers[/s] customers or fellow employees is also prohibited and whther such a ban is partial or total.

"Bass-chappie!"

"Master-at-Arms?"

"Did you shag Mrs Mulwray, the Texan oil heiress last night?"

"No, Sir. Tops and fingers only."

"You may carry on, Bass-chappie"
[/quote]

Indeed. Any frightful beastliness may well lead to beastly frightfulness. And it'll end up with us all going down with each other if we're not careful. Mark my words.

I know a few guys who have done quite a bit of cruise work together. I honestly think that if they were offered a contract with a zero booze policy, they would turn it down. Drinking seems to have become part of the experience for them (not in a bad way, it looks like a lot of fun).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373850152' post='2142304']
So there are working musicians who would turn down gigs because they couldn't drink a beer?

Really?
[/quote]

We played at an AA dance twice and we were drinking admitedly we were doing it secretly, so as not to rub it in, but Im not spoiling my night out for anyone! :rolleyes:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1373876410' post='2142398']
If not drinking will spoil your night, you have a problem.
[/quote]

I understand exactly where you are coming from, and perhaps my view on this is because music to me is about enjoying myself and stress relief, not a job, (even when we play weddings).

But, even when I do play larger well paid gigs, the organisers usually say 'round of drinks for the band' as soon as we are set up and waiting to play. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean alcohol, and I've enjoyed myself without it countless times, but just having one alcoholic drink can make it a little less tense. It's all about knowing limits; I wouldn't get drunk.

I am just a musician for the fun of it, not for a career in it, so my viewpoint may be different.

Edited by Musicman20