Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker spray-over with flaky paint-job?

Stacker

If I'd bought it I'd be posting the pics to the Ric Resources site straight off asking how that sort of deterioration in a couple of years could happen and what Ric were going to do about it. Didn't realise the wood was that dark underneath, I thought they'd all look 'mapleglo' without the top coat.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1373572261' post='2139246']
If I'd bought it I'd be posting the pics to the Ric Resources site straight off asking how that sort of deterioration in a couple of years could happen and what Ric were going to do about it. Didn't realise the wood was that dark underneath, I thought they'd all look 'mapleglo' without the top coat.
[/quote]

There is an idea that the bass was on it's way to being Fireglo.

[/quote]

I'm sure they'd treat such posts with all due care and consideration :)

Still catching up on the story, assuming it's [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/new-ric-slightly-broken-997965/"]this[/url] bass, in which case that thread has begun to go the way we might expect - whether the internet can agree if it is a Ric QC issue or not, it's still obviously an issue for the owner, which I think has been rather lost on some!

He seems happy with it. I'd be inclined to get the rest of the paint removed, or maybe just have a real novelty bass and let time and nature take their course on the rest of the finish.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373625480' post='2139758']
If this is the same bass mentioned in the Talkbass thread, this and presumably others from the same batch, were sold at a reduced price with no guarantee, because of this defect.

So, no story here, this time.
[/quote]

Extinguish your torches and lay down your pitchforks, folks. There will be no lynching tonight.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373625480' post='2139758']
If this is the same bass mentioned in the Talkbass thread, this and presumably others from the same batch, were sold at a reduced price with no guarantee, because of this defect.

So, no story here, this time.
[/quote]
There is a story: shonky RIC finishing, before we even [i]get[/i] to RIC QC! However, if it's been done to death on TB, no point in resurrecting it here.

I'm away to stick a few more needles in my Jawn Hawll voodoo doll..........

I am genuinely curious here. If they protect their trademarks so violently, I assume that it is protect their name and brand. If that's the case, why would such a premium brand put their name to, and even allow, shoddy batches of instruments just to get some sort of return?

[/quote]

The Ric Resource Forum isn't the official Ric site (despite what many think), so that's probably a bit pointless. ;)

Overpainting isn't an issue; Fender used to do it all the time. However the peeling off is, although if they were sold as such then there is indeed not much in the way of story really.

Yeah, had fun reading about this on Talkbass. The loyalists really can be a bunch of ignorant t***s, pardon my french. I'm still very keen on picking up a 4004, but this kind of thing really makes me not want to make the investment.

Edited by Kev

I guess every manufacturer has QC problems from time to time but with the way JH bangs on about being a small, family-owned business one would think that the manufacturing processes and QC would be given not a little more detail than, say, Fender, who bang 'em out at a rate of knots!

One of the many things that annoy me about John Hall is his unflinching inability to apologise for manufacturing issues or production delays. A bit of humility now and again wouldn't go amiss.

My 2011 jetglo Ric had paint falling off issues, sent it back to the shop and got my money back. No excuses for a firm to charge £1700+ for an instrument that cant keep its coat on! I think George (geofio) has had one recently (also jetglo... Hmmm!).

Certainly wouldnt buy a new jetglo Ric now. Havent heard of any other colour finishes being affected?

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1373739245' post='2141178']
The Ric Resource Forum isn't the official Ric site (despite what many think), so that's probably a bit pointless. ;)

Overpainting isn't an issue; Fender used to do it all the time. However the peeling off is, although if they were sold as such then there is indeed not much in the way of story really.
[/quote]

Thanks but I am aware that RR isn't an official manufaturers site, just it seems on of the quickest way to bring something to J Hall's attention is that site. Also knew of the Fender overpainting, partic duff sunbursts, for some time. It's just that the overpaint tends to actually stay on with those. ;)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1373794346' post='2141575']
Thanks but I am aware that RR isn't an official manufaturers site, just it seems on of the quickest way to bring something to J Hall's attention is that site.
[/quote]

Funny, that, isn't it? He and Ben appeared, in the past to me, to be more active on RRF than the official RIC site! Maybe it's because they can rest assured that the Rickenwaffen are doing all thier groundwork for them by seeking out 'fakers and and people who have issues with RIC QC, etc.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373803613' post='2141733']
He's a business man not a luthier.

If people still buy them come what may why should he care?
[/quote]
He just won't admit it when there is something wrong with the finish. It is never RIC's fault, it is the soap that you used/didn't use or the handcream that you used/didn't use that caused the problem. ;)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373810555' post='2141821']
He'll take notice if you guys stop buying his basses.
[/quote]

Some of us have. But he knows that CONUS - as the Yanks are fond of calling it - will keep RIC afloat. He doesn't need to worry about the rest of the world!! And the way things are going the rest of the world probably won't worry about him and his 'product' for much longer.

I Had a new 2013 jetglo too, paint issues, i sent pics to ric and they replied within a few hours also sent the same email to rossetti no reply !!!! here are photos of the issue. strange fault.

Edited by geofio