Why become a member? ×

Fender selling necks and bodies separately, seem pretty cheap!

SlapbassSteve

[url="http://www.fender.com/necks-bodies?sort=lowest_price"]http://www.fender.com/necks-bodies?sort=lowest_price[/url]

Works out just under £250 for a genuine Fender neck and body, available separately for about £130/£110 respectively.

Part of me thinks it's great you can now buy a genuine Fender neck from Fender brand new with a proper decal, and part of me worries that if these work out that cheap in the UK it won't be long before the market is flooded with people taking cheapo Westfield/G4M/etc P bass copy, adding a Fender neck for £130 and selling it off as a genuine article for £250-£300... How're Fender going to get around that? Or are they like me so sick of seeing badly-applied decals with the ghost of the original Squier logo still visible underneath they've decided to at least get a share of the profit on fakes..? It's bad enough that nobody on eBay seems to know the difference between a 'Squier Strat' and a 'Fender Stratocaster' anymore, and I'm not convinced that's always down to ignorance...(rant over...)

For one thing I'm very glad they haven't yet adopted the approach of a certain other leading bass manufacturer, not worthy to be mentioned here- unlike them this behavior seems to be almost encouraging fakes! Interesting... :happy:

I used to work in software and we used to give software away. It was called "seeding the market".

I wonder if Fender see fakes with genuine necks as exactly the same thing? By selling a neck you're getting £120(?) from someone who would never buy an actual Fender.

I too am amazed about the number of Fender necks on ebay. Whatever happened to the bodies? They can't all have got smashed by "rock-stars"

The upshot of this is if you want to change the neck on a genuine fender, atleast you can fit a genuine fender neck. £120 is not a lot more than a mighty mite job, I for one would be tempted.
It will muddy the waters of an already murky marketplace though, but hey atleast something will be genuine!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1372575899' post='2127243']
The upshot of this is if you want to change the neck on a genuine fender, atleast you can fit a genuine fender neck. £120 is not a lot more than a mighty mite job, I for one would be tempted.
It will muddy the waters of an already murky marketplace though, but hey atleast something will be genuine!
[/quote]

could be that its a cunning marketing ploy to push/maintain the value of vintage originals??

I wonder what improvement there is over a Mighty Mite neck? I have a MM Jazz neck on a P bass and it is great - I'd say better than a MIM Fender neck, which is the lower cost option from Fender. The USA necks are substantially more.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1372583070' post='2127333']
Isn't that just dollars price though? Will it not be hit by VAT, import, customs over here, unless through an authorised dealer?
Sorry, I'm a bit 40 watt. :blush:
[/quote]

When I've imported basses/parts from the US I've usually allowed 25% for VAT, import duty etc. Even allowing for that, these do seem good value considering they are genuine Fender parts. But I can see a lot of of the necks being fitted to cheap bodies and then flogged on ebay as "real" Fenders.

I just ventured onto the Squier chat forum (ok, I know. It won't happen again).

On there I saw a thread of a guy who's taken his beloved bass, given it a new body and new electrics, wiring the pots in series/parallel with a push/pull switch.

He still calls it a Squier. At what point should you no-longer attribute a bass to a maker?

I've got a Squier, resprayed it, Bart pups, Hipshot bridge, new elects and new machinesheads. I'm tempted to sand the brand off of the headstock. Who's right?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1372584720' post='2127355']

On there I saw a thread of a guy who's taken his beloved bass, given it a new body and new electrics, wiring the pots in series/parallel with a push/pull switch.

He still calls it a Squier. At what point should you no-longer attribute a bass to a maker?

I've got a Squier, resprayed it, Bart pups, Hipshot bridge, new elects and new machinesheads. I'm tempted to sand the brand off of the headstock. Who's right?
[/quote]

Good question. Years ago I sold a P bass on ebay which had a Jap Fender body, Badass, Basslines pickups, and a (very nice) neck from one of the Squier Silver Series models. I suspect it would have sold for a lot more if the Squier logo had been sanded off!

[quote name='canarybass' timestamp='1372584983' post='2127358']
Good question. Years ago I sold a P bass on ebay which had a Jap Fender body, Badass, Basslines pickups, and a (very nice) neck from one of the Squier Silver Series models. I suspect it would have sold for a lot more if the Squier logo had been sanded off!
[/quote] "Fender body"? ...some would call that a Fender bass, not a Squier - you're probably right

If Fender want to sell parts they should brand them clearly as parts.

I think this will ultimately devalue the brand on the second-hand market, which will be a shame.

But then, what do Fender care about that?

All businesses are in it to make money but it’s a short-sighted business decision to undermine the integrity of your own product on the second-hand market.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372580226' post='2127294']
Seems cheap. Link seems to be down also.
[/quote]

The link seems very on and off, it wouldn't work for me when I first clicked on it via their YT video([url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H90pq8rJUTg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H90pq8rJUTg[/url]), but worked when I refreshed... must be under a lot of strain.

[/quote]

My main bass is a Squier jazz where the only original bits are scratchplate, string tree, body and neck. All other hardware has been upgraded to Fender/Wilkinson and it's one of the best Jazzes I've played... proud to be playing a Squier after they did such a fantastic job of the neck.

[/quote]

My Squier CV P has a Lakland neck, fralin pup, Gotoh 201 bridge and an after market PG. Not really sure what to call it these days, other than MY bass.

Im very, very tempted to go for one of those $169 P bodies. I hate fiesta red and love Fender's sunburst.
Im assuming there will be tax and import duty to pay on it though.

I just tried to order it and there doesn't seem to be a way of getting it outside of the USA.

This seems to be the same body as the one on the Fender website. not a bad price i guess.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Fender-Standard-Precision-BASS-BODY-P-Bass-Guitar-3-Color-Sunburst-/190859866614?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c702271f6

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1372676817' post='2128342']
No lefty bodies or necks. :-(
[/quote]

These guys have them.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-STRATosphere?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

As i said above, the Fender site wont let you order outside of the USA anyway (as far as i can see).

I think the Stratosphere shop's a little different, as from what I can see they operate by buying complete guitars and parting them out... at the kind of prices Fender are charging I can see them having to stop doing this pretty soon as it'll be cheaper to buy the bits separately then together, which makes sense I guess, saves you paying for labour costs if you're the one putting the bits together and not someone in Mexico or California.