Why become a member? ×

Thinking of having a total bass cull!

stingrayPete1977

I have 3 Rays and a heavily modded Jazz but have come to the conclusion that I am a 5 string player full time really so the Jazz can go, the pre EB is awesome but is life too short to be either sentimental or waiting for it to be worth millions? My black SR5 has the wrong neck and was just gained via a trade for my old SR4 as a backup to my blue SR5, it weighs about the same as a range rover yet its my go to bass!
Worst case I still know I have my go to black frankenray which I would happily gig forever.

So here is the idea, sell the blue SR5, Jazz and pre EB Ray which should raise around £3000 or just under then buy one bass, but what?

Lakland usa 55-94 not sure on the current prices or where from?
Modulus funk 5 again no idea where from or how much?

Plan b, keep the pre EB or my blue SR5 then buy;
Mayones Jabba 5 Classic
Stingray Classic 5
Lakland Skyline 55-02

Any ideas, views, advice or offers? :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1371847639' post='2118872']
Your blue SR5 - can you PM me some pics?

Ta.
CB
[/quote]
I will send some pics but not until I have paid my listing fee here, this isn't an underhand sales advert :) I will get some done and pay my fee tomorrow as I want the jazz listing once done I will pm you some pics, ta

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1371847721' post='2118873']
Yeah get rid of em all. f*** it. They're only 'things' aren't they? Easily replaceable and you'll end up trying other basses that you never thought you ever would before!

Get a BB2025 or a Dingwall. Go mental!

Truckstop
[/quote]
I'm pretty certain it will be in my op list you know, been thinking for a while and even toyed with selling a couple so I could spend more on my double bass, sold my 79 ray to fund it in the end which was a shame as it was a nice bass with a few quid in it.

I've got 7 basses and I'm planning on buying 2 more this summer, so I vote keep them all :D .

I have fond memories of basses that I've sold and wish that I hadn't.

A pre EB Stingray is close to top of my list of 'some day I will own' basses, together with a '77 Jazz and a '60's Precision.

Multi quote went mad had to chop it up a bit :)

[b]'TRBboy'
Order a Custom spec Sandberg Basic Ken Taylor 5 and have a load of change left![/b]

Nice bass but the change will only get spent on some crap for the house or something, losing a pre EB Ray and a 2010 SR5 for some curtains and stuff will upset me forever!

[b]'uncle psychosis'
Do it. I'm definitely coming round to the "one bass plus a backup" point of view. Get one great bass and play the crap out of it :D[/b]

I had that with the pre EB Ray and was [i]very happy [/i]until I switched to 5 strings for someone elses project for a couple of years, now I only want 5! Arghh

[b]'ambient'
I've got 7 basses and I'm planning on buying 2 more this summer, so I vote keep them all :D .

I have fond memories of basses that I've sold and wish that I hadn't.

A pre EB Stingray is close to top of my list of 'some day I will own' basses, together with a '77 Jazz and a '60's Precision.[/b]

Well I did have 4 Stingrays until a few months ago with plans to buy a Classic Ray 5 aswell taking me to 5 Rays spanning '79 '82 '07 '10 '13 :D double bass put an end to that and jeez is DB an expensive hobby!

'chris_b'
[b]If you're considering a USA 55-94 I'd also look at the Skylines in the FS section.

They look pretty good and will sound and play just as good as a US model.[/b]

Possibly as an aswell as, I would not want to sell my pre EB or Ray 5 to fund a Skyline even though they are as well made as an EBMM for less dosh.

[b]'bubinga5' [/b]
[b]its great having one bass. its just finding the ONE that is versatile enough and your happy with. the Lakland will tick most boxes imo[/b]

TBF my black SR5 probably already is that bass, my latest band covers the Beatles cant buy me love through to No Doubts Just a girl and it really is all in the fingers :)

[b]'thisnameistaken'
I'm sure the Laklands are nice basses but they don't look very inspiring. I would agree it looks like the stingray classic 5 is perhaps the ideal bass for you, but my god how much are they ripping people off with those things. I would work hard to find something else just to avoid giving EB any money.[/b]

I think the trans blue looks the nuts but you are probably right, Classic5 should be the right bass looking at the facts.

[b]'Old Horse Murphy'
I'm selling one ;)[/b]

Dont I just know it! :D

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1371887185' post='2119075']
Pete, fwiw, the SR5 pi5535 all over the Lakky......in my very humble opinion of course ;-)
[/quote] You are just biased like me :D
[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1371887293' post='2119078']
Also.....there is no such thing as 'the one' some days you're a Status person sometimes a MM flats your boat, we're a contrary bunch. Hang on to your preeb you'll only regret it down the line. All it asks is that you pick it up occasionally.
[/quote]
I know, I know.....

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1371847639' post='2118872']
Your blue SR5 - can you PM me some pics?

Ta.
CB
[/quote]
Actually you can see me mime with it here to the singer playing a Tony Levin OLP Ray :lol: (this was the demo track)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONtsRRlq9U[/media]

You can hear it here though as I played the bassline on the finished track, listen to the place in your memory (the featuring Majika one is best IMO but either version is me playing), check out around 2 mins 20 for some Alnico parallel Ray goodness :D
[url="https://soundcloud.com/#davebarronband"]https://soundcloud.com/#davebarronband[/url]

Edited by stingrayPete1977