Why become a member? ×

Thinking of having a total bass cull!

stingrayPete1977

According to an article I read, avatars not changing on people's browsers is normal, and a forced update is what normally works.
I forgot the details about why this is, and can not vouch for it being true, but in any case, after reading the thread and seeing I had the old avatar on my screen, pressing F5 did change it for me in this case, on a pc with Firefox.

Oh, and congrats! :)
I noobly agree it sounds lovely.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Ha its madness I tell you! Anyway just having my first go on the Classic after raising the action, Nick had it super low due to his bad hand (nice to know it can go so low should anyone wish in future) so far so good but I wont be able to tell much until thursday practice, it looks really good though and must be the most discreet 5 string bass available in the mainstream? :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Sorry - I missed this on Saturday!

Andy Baxter has a lot but there seems to always be some coming up on Ebay these days too. I put some pics of my Classic 5 up a while ago and you can see them here:

http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/Gunsfreddy2003/library/Stingray%205%20Pics

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1371892768' post='2119167']
Best place (apart from Andy Baxter) to find these nice Pre-EB SRs?
More info on your Classic 5?

CB
[/quote]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372004772' post='2120550']
(...)

[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130623_172731_zps46dbb2fd.jpg.html"][/url]
(...)
[/quote]

So... you're the next person i'll be stalking in the hope of grabbing this one! If i hadn't just spend all my funds purchasing a Smith this baby wouldn't last long on OHM's sales thread. Enjoy it and remember me when you think about selling it ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372352961' post='2124767']
I'm off to practice with it shortly, if its 75% as good as my pre eb but with a B string hopefully it won't be going anywhere ;) :)
[/quote] oooh the suspense.....

Just got in, its nice. Can be trickier than a 3 eq to settle in the band mix but once you do its got the proper sound a Stingray should have, really nasty or super funky. As soon as you play anything like chic on a 2 eq Ray they come alive, maybe its the sonic room given to the overall mix because the guitars are not grinding away? This bass in particular has less poke than a pre eb ray and generally more trebly overall, the action was very low before though so I might raise the pickup a bit yet and see how that sounds, playability is great and the neck is very well finished with vintage frets and a laquered fingerboard like a proper 70's bass.

I was thinking that although they are expensive new for what they are (£2200?) Because of the fact they never made a pre eb 5 string there has been loads of work and machine tooling to create this range,

Body-obviously never been a 5 string slab as far as I know so new cnc tooling.
Neck-same profile as a Ray 5 but only 21 frets like an SR4 not 22 as a regular Ray 5 so new tooling there.
Frets-vintage frets and no getting away with a quick gunstock oiling.
Bridge-totally new tooling to create a 5 string pre eb bridge even for the spring plate as they are all connected behind the bridge.
Pickup-cover is neither like the new or the old SR5 as far as I can tell?
Scratchplate-bespoke to the classic5.

Top grade wood for the neck (birdseye or flame) with extra finishing for the classic range and the body is one big slab with a nice grain which is getting more difficult to do, overall that's quite a bit of effort for a fairly niche model compared to the quantity of regular SR4 and 5 basses they must sell.

It certainly is a pretty bass in the flesh and right on the verge of flashy for a Ray imo, makes me think of something someone might have made as a custom order by shuker or someone as a sort of super stingray 5.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372373121' post='2125142']
Just got in, its nice. Can be trickier than a 3 eq to settle in the band mix but once you do its got the proper sound a Stingray should have, really nasty or super funky. As soon as you play anything like chic on a 2 eq Ray they come alive, maybe its the sonic room given to the overall mix because the guitars are not grinding away? This bass in particular has less poke than a pre eb ray and generally more trebly overall, the action was very low before though so I might raise the pickup a bit yet and see how that sounds, playability is great and the neck is very well finished with vintage frets and a laquered fingerboard like a proper 70's bass.

I was thinking that although they are expensive new for what they are (£2200?) Because of the fact they never made a pre eb 5 string there has been loads of work and machine tooling to create this range,

Body-obviously never been a 5 string slab as far as I know so new cnc tooling.
Neck-same profile as a Ray 5 but only 21 frets like an SR4 not 22 as a regular Ray 5 so new tooling there.
Frets-vintage frets and no getting away with a quick gunstock oiling.
Bridge-totally new tooling to create a 5 string pre eb bridge even for the spring plate as they are all connected behind the bridge.
Pickup-cover is neither like the new or the old SR5 as far as I can tell?
Scratchplate-bespoke to the classic5.

Top grade wood for the neck (birdseye or flame) with extra finishing for the classic range and the body is one big slab with a nice grain which is getting more difficult to do, overall that's quite a bit of effort for a fairly niche model compared to the quantity of regular SR4 and 5 basses they must sell.

It certainly is a pretty bass in the flesh and right on the verge of flashy for a Ray imo, makes me think of something someone might have made as a custom order by shuker or someone as a sort of super stingray 5.
[/quote] A friend of mine got one (they moved to Hong Kong and were saying how cheap they were there! And thought it was great. Prefer it to the SR5?

Yes and no :)
The black SR5 is really easy to get in the mix and if that fails you can switch into series or single coil mode and beleive me if you cant get it to cut through with the 3 band EQ and in series mode no other bass is going to anyway, the overall sound is not as big as my old pre EB either. On the other hand it looks ace and the neck is lovely and it has that early Stingray sound mucj more like a proper 2 EQ Ray of 70's and 80's era, a bit more trumpety I always think as a way to describe it, think Chic or early Rage Against The Machine. I will see how I get on with it and maybe put a John east pre into it to see if that boosts it up a bit, everyone else that has done that has been pretty happy with the results saying it has completed the pre EB makeover. It is the nicest EBMM bass I have ever seen though and the fit and finish is up there with the best of anything I have ever tried up to £4k.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372505054' post='2126527']
Yes and no :)
The black SR5 is really easy to get in the mix and if that fails you can switch into series or single coil mode and beleive me if you cant get it to cut through with the 3 band EQ and in series mode no other bass is going to anyway, the overall sound is not as big as my old pre EB either. On the other hand it looks ace and the neck is lovely and it has that early Stingray sound mucj more like a proper 2 EQ Ray of 70's and 80's era, a bit more trumpety I always think as a way to describe it, think Chic or early Rage Against The Machine. I will see how I get on with it and maybe put a John east pre into it to see if that boosts it up a bit, everyone else that has done that has been pretty happy with the results saying it has completed the pre EB makeover. It is the nicest EBMM bass I have ever seen though and the fit and finish is up there with the best of anything I have ever tried up to £4k.
[/quote] something I found last month.... slightly more trumpty, less balls... lower the pup a mm or two....