Why become a member? ×

Bonnie Raitt

Paul S

I saw Bonnie Raitt at the Cliff's Pavilion in Westcliff last night. For some reason I had no great expectations about the gig, so was delighted to experience one of the most sensitive and emotional performances I have ever heard. What a voice! Bassist was unbelievably good with such a light touch you would barely notice him. Everything he played seemed *exactly* right for the song, from acoustic blues through Jazz to soulful ballads and even reggae. And on an assortment of instruments - Jazz, Jaguar, EUB, acoustic fretless (upon which he excelled) - even some strange little thing that looked like a ukulele but sounded like a bass. One of the best gigs I have seen for an age. If you get a chance to catch her this time around try to make the effort.

Most of the band have been with her for years so that should be Hutch Hutchinson...???
The Road Tested DVD is worth it... and you may well hear a difference between that show and the more recent
Bonnie Rait and Friends but both are worth having in your collection, IMV.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1370860086' post='2106311']
She was also on Later with Jools Holland recently, probably still on iplayer if you missed it. I guess it was the same backing band, bass player did EUB and normal electric from what I recall, sounded nice.
[/quote]

I saw that this morning on the iplayer - I think only the guitarist was from her band, the others were house band I guess. Thanks for the name - yes, just looked him up - Hutch Hutchinson. And those U Basses are the ones - both sold and acoustic. Great player.

Welcome to the Bonnie Raitt fan club!! First time I saw her was on the 70's Whistle Test with just Freebo on fretless Jazz bass - stunning! Been in love ever since.
I may be wrong, but were the bass and drums from the Jools Holland Band? As stated above, bass is usually James "Hutch" Hutchinson, Ricky Fataar drums, and of course George Marinelli on guitars. Recommended for the band alone, but Bonnie is the icing on the cake!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1370858944' post='2106282']
I saw Bonnie Raitt at the Cliff's Pavilion in Westcliff last night. For some reason I had no great expectations about the gig, so was delighted to experience one of the most sensitive and emotional performances I have ever heard. What a voice! Bassist was unbelievably good with such a light touch you would barely notice him. Everything he played seemed *exactly* right for the song, from acoustic blues through Jazz to soulful ballads and even reggae. And on an assortment of instruments - Jazz, Jaguar, EUB, acoustic fretless (upon which he excelled) - even some strange little thing that looked like a ukulele but sounded like a bass. One of the best gigs I have seen for an age. If you get a chance to catch her this time around try to make the effort.
[/quote]
yes I was there too - one of the best shows I have seen for a long long time - went to see her on the first date of her uk 2013 tour last nite as southend - one of the best shows I have seen in a long time - the\ band is her American long term band so they are fully played in with the highlight being Neil Finnigan, keys man (including Hammond b3 - lovely) who played on hendrixs electric ladyland and also with joe cocker amongst others - highly recommended - go see if you can - [url="http://www.bonnieraitt.com/article/announcing-uk-tour-dates-2013"][color="#0f72da"]http://www.bonnierai...tour-dates-2013[/color][/url]

Edited by gareth