Why become a member? ×

What the f*** was PUNK?

xilddx

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1370953867' post='2107841']
"Fall Out" their first single was pretty punk.
[/quote]
Not really. Didn't think so then or now. You can hear every single word that he sings. :D

P.S. Got to say though it's as punk as a lot of other stuff that people thought was punk at the time.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1370954522' post='2107860']
No mention of the New York Dolls or Iggy and the Stooges, either. Despite my earlier posts, I do recall having a brief period of liking the Dolls - think I've got Too Much Too Soon on vinyl somewhere.
[/quote]

Being a nipper at the time, I only discovered the Stooges, MC5 etc after the event.

I recall walking up to what might be considered a rather intimidating looking punk complete with safety pins in the nose, torn leathers, doc martins and a giant red mohican when I was in the local newsagents with my mum aged around 4 years old.

I asked him how he made his hair stand up like that. He said superglue as far as I recall before my mum ushered me away rather quickly. To this day I've thought that was probably a poor choice of styling product but he seemed a very nice chap.

There is no point to this story.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1370956082' post='2107895']

You can now dowload Feeding of the 5,000 on itunes now. Irony overload.

They're more Woodstock than punk really.
[/quote]

Even anarcho-hippies need a pension fund these days, those communes don't pay for themselves!

What I found quite funny at the time was, punks hated teddy boys . Around that time ,apart from showaddywaddy or the rubettes, i cant remember seeing any teddy boys around tbh.
Punk seemed to not be around for very long really. Shame the anti nowhere league came out too late.
So what ;) mind you , they tried to be commercial and were soft as sh&t after their first album.
Nrw wave.. Now that was dreadful..

I loved the Punk era for the music , so that's what it meant to me - more great music to listen to . I was 17 at the time into Quo , Lizzy , SAHB , Sabbath , Zeppelin etc etc . I still had fairly long hair , wore jeans & t- shirts , trainers , the whole safety pin biz / bondage gear meant nothing to me , it just seemed like fancy dress !

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1370984445' post='2108387']
Well I was replying to Earbrass's question about The Stooges etc., all part of my musical experiences and development.
[/quote]
Sorry, it was feeble attempt at humour. It must be an age thing (i'm old by the way) but can't bracket The Stooges as punk at all. There more like the MC5, Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels or even Funkadelic but that may be that when i first heard them punk as we know it wasn't around. Great group though so who cares whether they're punk or not. :)

Maybe Don Letts has the answer to what is punk :-

For me, punk still works on a day-to-day basis. It's an ongoing dynamic, and, if you're brave enough and smart enough, you can be part of it. I could have chosen an easy path and followed the herd, which is very much in vogue now. Instead, I revelled in individuality.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1370988733' post='2108465']

For me, punk still works on a day-to-day basis. It's an ongoing dynamic, and, if you're brave enough and smart enough, you can be part of it. I could have chosen an easy path and followed the herd, which is very much in vogue now. Instead, I revelled in individuality.
[/quote]

He doesn't half talk a load of old caca sometimes :)

I was in my early 20's and played in a rock covers band when punk came along. We played the usual mixture of the time, Jethro Tull, Led Zep, Wishbone Ash, The Beatles, The Eagles and blues covers. I wore tie dyes, flairs, loon pants and cheese cloths shirts. Part of the old hippy culture. When the punk thing happened, the gigs dried up fast, they had taken over and if you went to a gig, you got spat on and sometimes the crap kicked out of you for being a hippy.

I don't have good memories of the punk era and most of the music left me cold. There were some so called punk bands that I liked but they could really play, I thought that against the whole idea of the movement. Just another manufactured craze in my eyes that the kids of the time fell for.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370958783' post='2107935']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQ1CvwF7BQ[/media]
[/quote]

I think Crass were as hippy as you could get, but then a lot of the punk ideals were hippy too, just packaged in straight trousers. Both Penny Rimbaud and Joe Strummer were from wealthy backgrounds and public school (and Oxbridge in the case of Penny). I was never bothered about this kind of stuff. Some punks had this kind of inverted snobbery, especially against Joe. I've always been of the thought that it's not about where you're from, but where you are going.

My old GF was heavily into all this Anarco-Punk-CND-ALF stuff, I tagged along and tried to show willing, but at the end of the day I found it all a bit rattly and tuneless, and for me it's ultimately about the music.

Anyway, my favourite tune from around those days is 'The Serenade Is Dead' by Conflict, and Colin Jerwood's working class credentials are impeccable..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR_CdJF_G4E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR_CdJF_G4E[/url]

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1370988733' post='2108465']

[/quote]
.....or maybe not. :)

Whatever it was, it pretty much completely passed me by. Other than a very very small number artists which might have been loosely thrown in with punk at the time (Stranglers, Ian Dury, Elvis Costello) it had minimal impact on my listening or musical influences. Interesting to hear all the usual stuff about punk killing off genres such as prog rock. Although it is true that during those (few) years at the height of punk those kind of acts struggled, by the early 80's there were loads of them around again. Unfortunately once Marillion made it big a lot of them got dropped from their labels which always seemed a little short sighted to me. Anyway, punk was always a lot more than just the music and basically just acted in the same way as rock'n'roll did in the 50's (though that was arguably more centred around the music) as a vehical for gnashing ones gums against the 'system' and your parents. I wasn't particularly interested in doing either as a 13 yr old in '77.

According to Wikipedia, these are all "subgenres" of punk:

2 Tone
Anarcho-punk
Art punk
Celtic punk
Christian punk
Cowpunk
Crossover Thrash
Crust punk
Dance-punk
Deathrock
Digital hardcore
Folk punk
Garage punk
Glam punk
Gypsy punk
Hardcore punk
Horror punk
Nazi punk
New wave
No wave
Noise rock
Oi!
Pop punk
Post-hardcore
Post-punk
Psychobilly
Punk blues
Punk jazz
Punk Pathetique
Queercore
Rapcore
Riot grrrl
Scottish Gaelic punk
Ska punk
Skate punk
Street punk
Synthpunk
Taqwacore
Trallpunk

Hmm...

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1371040301' post='2108963']

2 Tone
Anarcho-punk
Art punk
Celtic punk
Christian punk
Cowpunk
Crossover Thrash
Crust punk
Dance-punk
Deathrock
Digital hardcore
Folk punk
Garage punk
Glam punk
Gypsy punk
Hardcore punk
Horror punk
Nazi punk
New wave
No wave
Noise rock
Oi!
Pop punk
Post-hardcore
Post-punk
Psychobilly
Punk blues
Punk jazz
Punk Pathetique
Queercore
Rapcore
Riot grrrl
Scottish Gaelic punk
Ska punk
Skate punk
Street punk
Synthpunk
Taqwacore
Trallpunk

Hmm...
[/quote]

I also had a look at the Wikipedia entry for Punk. It showed a picture of The Buzzcocks at Cropredy Festival :lol: WTAF?!

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1371040301' post='2108963']

2 Tone
Anarcho-punk
Art punk
Celtic punk
Christian punk
Cowpunk
Crossover Thrash
Crust punk
Dance-punk
Deathrock
Digital hardcore
Folk punk
Garage punk
Glam punk
Gypsy punk
Hardcore punk
Horror punk
Nazi punk
New wave
No wave
Noise rock
Oi!
Pop punk
Post-hardcore
Post-punk
Psychobilly
Punk blues
Punk jazz
Punk Pathetique
Queercore
Rapcore
Riot grrrl
Scottish Gaelic punk
Ska punk
Skate punk
Street punk
Synthpunk
Taqwacore
Trallpunk

Hmm...
[/quote]

Most of those are just genres that also use the word 'punk' that's all.

For example Punk Jazz that happened in late 70s/early 80s has no connection to the UK version of Punk music whatsoever.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1370981897' post='2108343']
What I found quite funny at the time was, punks hated teddy boys . Around that time ,apart from showaddywaddy or the rubettes, i cant remember seeing any teddy boys around tbh.

[/quote]I think it depended on where you lived. There was a major Teddy Boy revival in the early 70's,and there were a lot of nasty incidents perpetrated by them on Punks.