Why become a member? ×

What the f*** was PUNK?

xilddx

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1370988733' post='2108465']
Maybe Don Letts has the answer to what is punk :-

For me, punk still works on a day-to-day basis. It's an ongoing dynamic, and, if you're brave enough and smart enough, you can be part of it. I could have chosen an easy path and followed the herd, which is very much in vogue now. Instead, I revelled in individuality.
[/quote]
What a pretentious twat.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1371049356' post='2109117']
I think it depended on where you lived. There was a major Teddy Boy revival in the early 70's,and there were a lot of nasty incidents perpetrated by them on Punks.
[/quote]

My manor had plenty. We had a 'Western and Edwardian' clothing shop on the parade of shops nearest me. Proper hard nuts they were too.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1371049356' post='2109117']
I think it depended on where you lived. There was a major Teddy Boy revival in the early 70's,and there were a lot of nasty incidents perpetrated by them on Punks.
[/quote]
A major Teddy Boy revival?

I remember seeing a few kids hanging around the local chip shop trying to look like Showaddywaddy in the 70s but can't remember a major revival.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1371050216' post='2109145']

I remember seeing a few kids hanging around the local chip shop trying to look like Showaddywaddy in the 70s but can't remember a major revival.
[/quote]

Yes but was that not the chipshop where the guy worked who swears he was Elvis :lol:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1371050216' post='2109145']

[/quote]

Not a revival around my was as such. Quite a few that were original Teds in their 30s with younger brothers and new recruits attached. I loved their look. They weren't happy with the adoption of the odd drape jacket and creepers one bit though.

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1371051335' post='2109167']
Yes but was that not the chipshop where the guy worked who swears he was Elvis :lol:
[/quote]
No, it was the one where the Teds would attack the odd punk or two outside the chip shop while they sang 'pretty little angel eyes....Thud!!! pretty little angel eyes ...Thud!!!

The 'Thud' bit is the sound of bicycle chain (the weapon of choice of the Ted) on skull.

The only large number of Teds i've ever seen was at a Wild Angels gig in about 1970.

It was like a Teds and Rockers convention. You couldn't move for drapes, crepes, bootlace ties and leather jackets with 59 Club badges on them (and if you remember that then your getting on a bit). :D

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1371051467' post='2109171']
meanwhile a view from across the pond :

"Punk ain't no religious cult
Punk means thinking for yourself
You ain't hardcore cos you spike your hair
When a jock still lives inside your head "

Nuff said !
[/quote]
Is that Keats?

P.S. Sorry didn't read the across the pond bit.

e.e. cummings then. :unsure:

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1371051866' post='2109179']
Teddington
[/quote]
I lived in Hampton Hill. Perhaps they couldn't make up the hill. :D

Thinking back though although it wasn't as big as punk, skinheads etc you're absolutely right there was a a good few Teds around Teddington, Kingston etc at that time. Not many in Richmond but i remember loads of them congregating around Kingston on a Saturday.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1371052760' post='2109202']
the original name for my first band was the Dead Presleys, some local Teds made it pretty plain there might be a bit of disruption at any future gigs unless we changed it, we did
[/quote]

Should have gone for the 'Rotting Cochrans', sounds more hardcore...

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1370988733' post='2108465']
Maybe Don Letts has the answer to what is punk :-

For me, punk still works on a day-to-day basis. It's an ongoing dynamic, and, if you're brave enough and smart enough, you can be part of it. I could have chosen an easy path and followed the herd, which is very much in vogue now. Instead, I revelled in individuality.
[/quote]
[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370997801' post='2108565']
He doesn't half talk a load of old caca sometimes :)
[/quote]

Yup , I thought that when I saw it.

I still love punk, but it's true that there was a lot of sh*t in the early years. I don't believe being able to play an instrument to a pro standard is necessarily a requirement to be in a band, passion and attitude are also important. Sure, punk was originally about rebellion and fashion (among other things), but the later genres it inspired took it beyond that.

The way I see it, half the music I love best wouldn't exist without punk:

Hardcore
Ska-punk
The faster end of metal
Modern punk
Psychobilly
Anarcho-punk

My £0.02 anyway :)