Why become a member? ×

Alas...Poor Warwick???

markyboy2106

Hi there

I'm in the fortunate position of having approximately £1000 to spend on a 5-string bass. I am considering Clover and Lakland, based on recommendations and having tried them out. Versatility, tone, good 'B', and good high fret access would be desirable (24 frets would be great, but not necessary). However, I have thought recently about a Warwick. They have such a huge array of models and are very popular, yet it would seem they are rarely recommended.

Are they good?

If so, which ones?

If not, what's wrong with them?

Cheers

[quote name='markyboy2106' post='212176' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:06 PM']If not, what's wrong with them?[/quote]

No idea. I've got a Corvette V Standard Bubinga, and as far as I know there's nothing wrong with it. It's a bit heavy, but that's cos I bought that and not the swamp ash one. So for me, it's everything that I expected, wanted, and bought. I like it.

[quote name='markyboy2106' post='212176' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:06 PM']Hi there

I'm in the fortunate position of having approximately £1000 to spend on a 5-string bass. I am considering Clover and Lakland, based on recommendations and having tried them out. Versatility, tone, good 'B', and good high fret access would be desirable (24 frets would be great, but not necessary). However, I have thought recently about a Warwick. They have such a huge array of models and are very popular, yet it would seem they are rarely recommended.

Are they good?

If so, which ones?

If not, what's wrong with them?

Cheers[/quote]

I can't really comment on Lakland or Clover, but personally I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that you try Warwick. However, as someone has said on here before, they are the ultimate Marmite bass - you will either love the sound and feel or hate it. As OTPJ has said, the Corvette $$ is a great bass, and well within your price range.

I would also have a look at Sandberg in the price range you've mentioned.

Nothing wrong with Warwick basses that couldn't be levied at [b]ANY[/b] bass!

Fenders... some people like em, some people don't.

Musicman... some people like em, some people don't.

Sandberg... some people like em, some people don't.

You get the gist :)

Their used prices have taken a big hit (for whatever reason) so I'd recommend looking at that end of the market and you could end up with a stonking 5 string neck-thru. There are plenty of Streamers in that price bracket and you may well score for a Dolphin. $$ and Corvettes will be cheaper again. If you like slimmer necks try to get hold of an early 90s or late 80s bass as they are 'generally' slimmer profiled but any NT should be less clubby.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='212262' date='Jun 4 2008, 07:16 AM']Nothing wrong with Warwick basses that couldn't be levied at [b]ANY[/b] bass!

Fenders... some people like em, some people don't.

Musicman... some people like em, some people don't.

Sandberg... some people like em, some people don't.[/quote]

This is very true. I was in love with the [i]shape[/i] of the Streamer more than anything else, when I bought one years ago I used it until the style of music I was playing changed and I got a Precision. I'm kind of tiring of that after about ten years - don't get me wrong, it's a lovely bass, but I need a change - so I'm likely to be going with a Lakland DJ5 as soon as the money kicks in.

My old Warwick had three different necks on it until they changed it for bubinga one. This was a first series Streamer bolt-on (I think it was called an LX model even back then) - and the necks (maple/evangol? laminates) weren't that stable. After they fixed the neck, it was a wonderful, versatile and phat bass.

P

I just got a Warwick 5 string NT for your exact budget. It's a fantastic bass, great sound, easy to play, lovely neck, really solid, chunky feel to the whole bass. The only bugbear I have with it is that it's quite heavy and it neck dives really badly.

The £1000 price range is just on the edge of good basses, and pedigree basses, so it's tricky. Second hand, you can get some exceptional gear... Spectors, Musicmans, Thumbs, Streamers...

as for warwicks, consider these....

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette5_nt_natural_ofc.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette5...natural_ofc.htm[/url]

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvetteltd_zebrano_2008_2.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvettel...rano_2008_2.htm[/url]

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71997"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71997[/url]

A bit over the price cap, but that would be some tempting targets.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

Warwick's aren't bad basses, they just aren't as good as they used to be, but the same can be said of most manufacturers. With that budget I'd be looking for an older model with a brass nut & thru neck.

I still totally rate Laklands though, a DJ5 or JO5 would be a great choice.

Bass Guitars seem to go though style changes every few years and at the 'Mo Warwick seem to be at the unpopular stage but I've never played a bad one (I even bought one last month great bass and the build quality was by far better than my Lak Skyline) the Bass Centre has a few on special offer but like most thing try before you buy.

[quote name='markyboy2106' post='212176' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:06 PM']yet it would seem they are rarely recommended.[/quote]

I wouldn’t mind only playing Warwick’s for the rest of my life – recommendation enough? :)
I’m not into 5 stringers so I’ve never owned one but I’ve played a few and IMO they feel nicer than other 5 string basses I’ve played. I find it hard to believe people when they say “I don’t like Warwicks” because I always think “have you actually played [i]any[/i] Warwicks?” cos I think they’re great and can’t really understand what there is to not like about them :huh:

I'm nuts about Warwick. The 2nd hand market is dominated by people trying to get pre-1990 models when I believe the majority of workmanship was done by hand. I don't consider the modern Warwicks to be in any way 'worse' than pre-1990 models and I'm happy that means my next Warwick will be an absolute bargain modern 2nd hand instrument.

First and foremost I believe you have to have a good idea in your mind of what kind of feel/sound you are after.

Lakland covers the more classic Fender feel/sound - which can be tweaked a little bit to sound more modern - great B string sound

Musicman is kind of the opposite in my opinion whist retaining the Fender feel - obviously, given its lineage (!)

Warwick - is more like Jazz bass on steroids and covers modern funk and rock sounds with aplom. Tend to be heavy on the old shoulders in my experience - so maybe a swamp ash bodied model perhaps.

Status are worth a try 2nd hand - especially the graphite necked models. I got a great Rickenbacker type growl from a 5-string Energy that had a graphite neck - throughan SWR Readhead amp - this was good few years back mind - but that sound sticks out in my mind.

Fender have their new 5-string P-bass if you fancy tradition - getting good reviews.

Spector are a make I have little experience of but make wonderful funk rock monsters from what I hear on recordings.

Another alternative would be 2nd hand Sadowsky Metro - but those are hard to come by over here - unless you are prepared to buy from the US via e-bay or a reputable Bass supplier in the US - Bass Northwest and Bass Central are two that come to mind. But you'll have to factor in another 20% to cover import and VAT charges as well as shipping - typically from £60-£120.

I would take the time to try a few of these makes out - get a feel for what appeals and what doesn't - it'll be good fun trying them all out.

If you're lucky - once you try them all out - a model you do like may appear in the for sale section of the forum for a good bit under your £1000 target - put the rest towards a cab or amp.

Good hunting !

Bill

I had a Bubinga 4-string corvette, which was heavy, and decided to move to a swamp-ash 5-string corvette. The Corvette body is the same size on the 4-string and the 5-string, which means that if you go for a lighter body, and a wider neck, the result is inevitable - neck dive.

So, do what I didn't do - put a strap on and play it standing up before you buy.

I bought a Spector CRFM 5 through-neck for much less than your budget and it's a superb bass.

I also have a Warwick Streamer LX4, excellent as well in a different way.

I wouldn't like to say Warwick make a better bass than Spector or vice versa - they are just different.

Certainly try first, but buying a used Warwick can make you big savings, especially in the present depressed market.

Personally, I also like modern Warwicks (although I tried my very first Warwick in about 1989ish and fell in love immediately) and wouldn't write them off without trying for yourself.

Frank

I have 2 Warwicks at present and I love them - A Streamer Stage One and a Streamer LX5.

The Stage One is a 4 string and is for sale/trade at the moment purely because it doesnt get played much next to my LX5 and Vigier Passion III - your best bet really is to play a bunch and see what you like.

WHere are you based? You are welcome to pop in and have a go on my babies if you want to mate!

[quote name='Macko1968' post='212326' date='Jun 4 2008, 09:48 AM']Warwick's aren't bad basses, they just aren't as good as they used to be, but the same can be said of most manufacturers. With that budget I'd be looking for an older model with a brass nut & thru neck.

I still totally rate Laklands though, a DJ5 or JO5 would be a great choice.[/quote]

Isn't that purely subjective? I've met countless Warwick players who own recent W's and love them and highly recommend them. Even a few who have a mix of Late 80's/Early 90's 'Wicks and newer ones and though he can feel minor differences between them, he can still dial in that growl and feels comfortable, thats what it should be about.

In regards to the OP, as said, try a bunch, it's the only way you'll see what the fuss is about and determine if they're for you or not.