Why become a member? ×

Lemmy's bass at Bass Gallery

Bassman Steve

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1370183067' post='2097280']
I've never associated Lemmy with Jetglo - he was a Mapleglo man for years before the 4004LK's.

I'm sure this post will be followed by a flurry of pictures showing Lem with a JG - but I've never seen one! :o

You do see him playing a Fireglo in Lemmy - The Movie....looks quite strange!
[/quote]
I think his old Hawkwind Rick was a fireglo, but that was a 4001s with a dot neck as far as I can recall.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1370192567' post='2097413']
I think his old Hawkwind Rick was a fireglo, but that was a 4001s with a dot neck as far as I can recall.
[/quote]
I saw Lemmy with Hawkwind a few times. Strangely enough i don't remember a thing about any of those evenings. :blink:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1370200782' post='2097554']
I saw Lemmy with Hawkwind a few times. Strangely enough i don't remember a thing about any of those evenings. :blink:
[/quote]

I know that feeling. Apparently I have been to Creamfields. Funked if I remember.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1370200782' post='2097554']...Strangely enough i don't remember a thing about any of those evenings. :blink:
[/quote]

All I remember is the pyro being very, very close to the drapery at Kingston Poly. I got out before the place went up. It didn't, as it happened, but it must have been a close call...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1370204730' post='2097625']
All I remember is the pyro being very, very close to the drapery at Kingston Poly. I got out before the place went up. It didn't, as it happened, but it must have been a close call...
[/quote]
I saw some great gigs at Kingston Poly. Great memories of that place.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1370219528' post='2097806']Hey, nice Hondo![/quote]

Odd you should say that… whilst hunting for info earlier I chanced upon an utterly uncorroborated statement that 'Alan' (presumably Alan Davey) had a Hondo 2 as a backup if his Ric failed. So it's [i]very dimly possible[/i] that there [i]might[/i] be a Snaggletooth connection.

Question for the experts: As I understand it the 4001S had a set neck, but dot markers & no binding. Was there ever a bound & mother-of-toilet-seat version? If so, the neck plate [i]could[/i] have been lashed on there to bolster up a failing set neck joint.

Either way it's as fishy as a fish supper on Friday in Fish Week at Billingsgate.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1370223690' post='2097825']
Odd you should say that… whilst hunting for info earlier I chanced upon an utterly uncorroborated statement that 'Alan' (presumably Alan Davey) had a Hondo 2 as a backup if his Ric failed. So it's [i]very dimly possible[/i] that there [i]might[/i] be a Snaggletooth connection.

Question for the experts: As I understand it the 4001S had a set neck, but dot markers & no binding. Was there ever a bound & mother-of-toilet-seat version? If so, the neck plate [i]could[/i] have been lashed on there to bolster up a failing set neck joint.

Either way it's as fishy as a fish supper on Friday in Fish Week at Billingsgate.
[/quote]
The 4001S had a through neck. There were apparently a few (literally just a few) set neck 4001's produced in the early seventies though.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1370223690' post='2097825']...., the neck plate [i]could[/i] have been lashed on there to bolster up a failing set neck joint....
[/quote]

Considering the surface area and locked in factor involved in a set neck joint the chances of a fail is slight, obviously not impossible of course but a glued dovetail (or mortise-and-tenon) should in essence be the strongest part of the construction.

My only claim to fame connection to Hawkwind was supporting the Hawklords last year. Utterly unforgettable. Great bunch of guys. Adrian and myself (being veggie bassists with a penchant for travel) hit it off immediately. And Snake the stage manager who has a very Lemmy-esque attitude and sense of humour was a blast. They've actually requested us to support them again this year... which is nice. :)

Just had a chat with Martin at the Gallery & he's offered the following info:—[list]
[*]It's obviously had a life;
[*]It appears to be set-neck;
[*]The neckplate looks like it's been put on as an afterthought & there's nothing stamped on it;
[*]It looks like it's had a respray & was once a FireGlo;
[*]Plain binding, not checquered.
[/list]
They're trying to get hold of the seller to see if they can take it to bits to investigate further, so there's seemingly a question mark or two in Martin's mind.

P.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1370269074' post='2098327']
They're trying to get hold of the seller to see if they can take it to bits to investigate further, so there's seemingly a question mark or two in Martin's mind.
[/quote]

If there's a question mark or two, it's a good job they didn't try and sell it first for three grand, then... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1370276238' post='2098467']
Trade speak for 'it's f***ed'.[/quote]

Pretty much. There's a good photblog of T.C Ellis' repair/restoration work on Lemmy's touring 4004LK. F***ed isn't the word… if it were me I'd have started with a caustic soda jet wash :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1370269952' post='2098342']
If there's a question mark or two, it's a good job they didn't try and sell it first for three grand, then... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

There's no question mark at all IMO. It may have been owned by Lemmy, but it's not a real Rickenbacker!

This is the best advice on the net on recognising Rickenfakers: http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/Fakericks.htm . This one falls down on lots of counts, all of which others have already mentioned in this thread. The real biggies are the binding under the bridge, bolt on neck, and fret board inlays.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1370152423' post='2096936']
Has anybody had a chat with the Gallery about this? With respect, they [s]may not be the anoraks we are[/s], they might not have the accumulated knowledge we have. :o
[/quote]

I emailed Alex some time ago about this - it's wrong on all counts except possibly the Lemmy connection - but he didn't respond; too busy probably.

I call Hondo! Sure, it has a set neck like some of the single pick-up 4000 series had but it's not that either, due to the binding. And, as has been said, all (AFAIK) authentic Rics' binding stopped behind the bridge. Wrong pups as well for the era.

Very surprised that such a shop didn't suss all the above out before putting a dog like that up for £3K!!

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1370297755' post='2098942']
I emailed Alex some time ago about this - it's wrong on all counts except possibly the Lemmy connection - but he didn't respond; too busy probably.
[/quote]

Or maybe, if they admit it's not his bass then they're stuck with a POS they can't sell!