Why become a member? ×

May Composition Competition - VOTING TIME!

charic

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1369919221' post='2094450']

I was thinking of entering these but it would just not be up to the same level as everyone elses!

[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1369919771' post='2094457']
BIG thanks for voting Myke!

And don't let what other people are doing put you off from entering something yourself in future. The voting is just the tip of the iceberg... the real enjoyment to be had is in the process itself and learning tips and tricks from others along the way. [i]"It's about the journey not the destination, man"[/i] ;)

Anyway, thanks again mate.

Paul
[/quote]

Top response from Paul ,
I would add that I couldn't even start up a DAW last December , and I have put a few bits together to enter as a learning experience , and while I don't expect any real chance of winning the thing , to click on the thread and find I have a vote is an incredible buzz, it means that someone actually liked it , and that is all that counts, if someone gets something from the work you put in, it is fantastic.
So come and dip your toe in , you would be most welcome .

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1369919221' post='2094450']
Possibly? :unsure: First time voter! Loved listening to all of the different tracks.

I found it extremely hard to vote, I thought I'd made my mind up but apparently not :P

Anyway SKOL unfortunately you were just pipped at the post but I wanted to compliment you on that horn line, it just blew me away!

I was thinking of entering these but it would just not be up to the same level as everyone elses!

All in all everyone did a great job but sadly I could only vote for one! :)
[/quote]
Go for it Myke, I have only been doing this for about 12 months and had never done any home recording before, I am now totally addicted and like Skol said, its not the end result, but the taking part that's cool. I have learned everything I know through doing this competition and you only have to ask and people are always willing to give help or advice. I cant sing for peanuts, but I now have no shame and really enjoy having a go (its a great way to develop a lack of caring what anyone thinks) :D As you do more you learn how to go deeper into the DAW you are using and your ear for mixing improves, don't worry about being up to anyone's level, levels don't come into it, Skol wins and we all try and get closer too him in the comp :P

Edited by Stephen Houghton

This month's contributions has made it the most difficult for me to decide on so far. Just outstanding chaps, the rest of basschat don't know what they are missing. The talent shown here makes me so proud to be a member of this forum. I think Bilbo summed it up for me when he said that he had paid good money for lesser work. I wish I could give you all a vote. I'm already looking forward to next month's selection. Keep up the great work guys.

For any of you folk's who want to enter more comp's, here is a good one..........
and with prizes - One of which is free access for a year to the Groove3 video training site.

The site is called 'Home Studio Trainer' and there is plenty of useful stuff there along with a few freebies,
Well worth signing up to.

[url="http://www.homerecordingweekly.com/2013/05/29/episode-22-l-c-r-panning-and-the-2013-home-recording-weekly-songwriting-contest-is-on/"]http://www.homerecordingweekly.com/2013/05/29/episode-22-l-c-r-panning-and-the-2013-home-recording-weekly-songwriting-contest-is-on/[/url]

Garry

Looks like this is going right down to the wire!

To be honest, in such exhalted company I'm proud of my single vote!

Seriously though well done chaps, top work on the leading pieces here. Very pleased to have been a part of the competition this month and looking forward to putting some more stuff up for next months pics.

Rob

The entries just get better and better each month! Huge congratulations to everyone, I found it hard to choose just one this month. It was between two in the end for me and after listening to them both I've chosen one (and favourited the other on Soundcloud).

As Paul says, it's about taking part so well done all. This has been an enjoyable evening listening to this lot. I hope to join in again soon but I'm having much fun with my new band at the moment :)

I wouldn't take it too much to heart - I've been on a couple of forums that ran a monthly (or at least semi-regular) music competition and it was always a tiny number of members that would actually listen and vote, which is a pity.

On one of the forums, we went from 10 regular entrants for a covers competition (the winner chose the next one) down to myself and one or two other bods who'd submit a tune, so it stopped, sadly. Towards the end (and a bit late, admittedly), we put a sticky in the top of each sub-forum to try to increase awareness of it - perhaps that might help here for the next competition with Skol's choice of pics.

Speaking for myself, I seldom visit the recording forum and wouldn't have known about this competition except for the recent thread in General Discussion. (hence my late vote for Bilbo). The competition is now duly noted.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1370029716' post='2095867']i think charic should post it now.... and skol should have a month off......[/quote]

"Not unless you pry it from my cold, head hands... " Etc :D

Seriously though, thanks guys! I know I'm in danger of becoming a pariah but I'm always genuinely honoured to win these challenges amidst such good company.

It's been another great month with new people joining in (welcome Rob). And it was clearly a close run finish against Garry's superb composition.

I've sent a pic to Charic for the next one which will be posted up soon.

Thanks again :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1370122881' post='2096795']
I know it's finished but I only just got the time to vote, and I couldn't vote for Paul cos I knew he'd already won. And I knew it didn't count, but I did it anyway.
Nice work guys, it's the listens that matter, not the winning.
:)
[/quote]I got a vote, thanks Dave :D if it was you, if it wasn't thanks who ever.

Edited by Stephen Houghton

Well done Skol! :)

I'm guilty of not voting this month. I never got time to listen to all the tracks. :(
I did listen to a good few f them though. I've probably missed the voting deadline on the Mix comp too.