Why become a member? ×

Rush at the o 2 . I won't spoil it for anyone who is going on this tour , but ...

Minor gripes here too........was it just me or was the sound really awful? couldn't hear Alex half the time, Neil was tooooo overblown in the bottom end, but Geddy still had the tone to die for :-)

Must add, one of my companions was rather miffed at the setlist, too much mid-era. Personally I thought it was a good mixture of old & new, specially when the encores left me almost in tears of joy :-D

I wasn't going to go (ridiculous price) until this morning, when a friend of my girlfriend's got us a couple of cheap tickets in one of the corporate boxes - result!

I really enjoyed the show and as a fan of the mid-80s stuff (particularly Power Windows) i felt very sated by the setlist.

I thought the new stuff sounded really good as well.

Edited by geilerbass

I'm a huge Rush fan and was at the Manchester gig and really enjoyed the event BUT I thought the sound was relatively poor for a band who can afford the very best. If I am honest I just think that like so many other bands they just crank it up too loud and it becomes too boomy in these huge places. Also think, and this is just my personal taste, that the first set was too much Power Windows era based and should have been more pre Moving Pictures. No issue with lots of Clockwork Angels in the second set as they are bound to want to promote the latest album and the encore........awesome !!!

Hi Hiram,

we were sat in block 104 (but to save you looking for the seating plan) 'bout three quarters of the way back off to the left hand side (Alex's side) in the lower raised seats (so below the gods & boxes). Fantastic viewing spot for the whole show (gotta love them pyros:-), personally would have liked to have been closer, was offered £200 seats by a friend on the night, balked at paying that much.........kinda wished i had now, but all in a corker of an evening. Oh, and i'd agree with you on trying to sort a setlist with that size of back catalogue to choose from!!

I will not see them on this tour but last time out I caught them at the O2 in Dublin. We had fantastic seats ( 14 rows back from the stage at the centre-fantastic sound ) and thoroughly enjoyed the gig. The band were on fire and the sound was perfect. However other punters I spoke with on the night had varying experiences regarding sound quality depending on their location in the venue. This appears to be a common occurence, at least in the O2 in Dublin. Maybe when it comes to these super large venues, its hit and miss in relation to sound quality. For me an important issue, from a visual perspective at least, is to get seats close up and reasonably centred. I want the experience of being at a gig as opposed to an event. The idea of looking at a big screen all night, together with paying a lot of dosh for a ticket, and the possibility of a poor mix, well I would just prefer to grab a beer and watch the DVD. What a band though, truly inspiring

Edited by leroydiamond

Glad to hear it was a blast - Didn't see them this time, several reasons: I was second row at the O2 for the Time Machine show, which would have been hard to beat; I missed the fan club presale time by about 30sec, which meant all the decent seats had gone.

I'm not a huge Power Windows fan (nor Clockwork Angels fan come to think of it), but it would have been good to see Manhattan Project - otherwise there's not much standing out in the setlist for me that I've not seen before ([url="http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2013/o2-arena-london-england-13d9b595.html"]http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2013/o2-arena-london-england-13d9b595.html[/url] - with obv spoiler warning).

I'll be more on the ball tickets-wise when it comes to the R40 tour next time around.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1369471771' post='2089519']
I went last night too. Had no intention of going (60 quid a pop - no thanks) but a couple of mates had a spare going free so I went. Thought they played really well. I forget just what a great guitarist Alex Lifeson really is.
[/quote]

He is my favlouritr guitarist((either him or satch)

Soundwiise, a bit muddy at times. sometimes they could have been louder.
The bigger the venue ...
We were nearly touching the ceiling tho'.

I was a little surprised by their set this time around, but I love the '80s stuff.
When you realise how much stuff they can leave out , proves what a great band they are.
Never played the trees (

The sound was pretty good from where I was standing - centre, near the front - but you'd hope so at that position! :lol: I thought Geddy had good growl and definition when he was playing his black Jazz, not so much his white one. Maybe it was the bass, or just the way he was playing it on those songs he chose to use it...

I thought they played very well. I can see why they're rated live. I wasn't so impressed with the set list though - they basically lost me after Signals. Also, I'd hurt my back recently, so I left after the interval. Would've been good to hear the encore, but hey ho.

All the times I've seen Rush only once have they had what I'd call a good sound & that was at the NEC on the "Hold Your Fire" tour.
Gigs in these huge places pretty much always sound sh*t, regardless of who the band is.

Just had a look at the set list & I think that's a pretty great selection of songs for my personal tastes.
The situation at the moment though is I don't even know if I'll get there as I'm in agony with my bloody broken foot & really can't face travelling up to Birmingham. :(

I wont be going to see Rush this time around (for the first time since the 80's) - times are too hard to justify £75 to hear more of the same.

I was (am) a huge Rush fan, but really don't connect with their new material. On reflection, having seen them countless times, I can never remember them having a good sound live. The sound on the last 3 tours was verging on the awful....I just can't understand why this should be the case with a band of this stature.

Surely they are paying top dollar to employ sound engineer's who are at the top of the food chain????????????

Interesting how much the sound seems to have varied. I was at the back of 102, which was the lower tier of seats Alex's side, about half way along the arena. Sound was great except there was no definition on Geddy's bass at all. Fine when he was playing solo but as soon as the band cut in, there was just bottom end of the bass as an unintelligible rumble and then guitars, synths, drums and vocals as clear as you could wish for.

Knew what was coming with the set before I went and although happy to hear many of those songs, felt the first set in particular was crying out for a couple of rabble-rousing numbers.

I was up in block 412 - high enough for me to feel sick when I first sat down! View of the stage was superb, though.

Once I got used to the height, let the show begin!

I've been a fan for years, but it was my first time seeing the band.

What can I say - I flippin' loved it from start to end. What a band, what a show. I never go to venues like that normally (my tastes don't include artists that can fill such a place), and IMHO, didn't like the venue one bit - but that could be said for any 'enormodome' type.

Band was on fire - sound was fine where I was (for that size), and I was just grinning from start to end. Once settled in, I forgot about the size of the place and just really focused on the performance.

Setlist? Brilliant. No spoilers, but TBH I was thrilled that they didn't just knock out the obvious stuff. It's all on live albums and DVD's multiple times anyway - I'm really glad they delved a bit deeper and bar the 'have to play' encore stuff, avoided 'here's xxxxx for the 1,000 time in 35 years. I love CA, and that segment was immense.

Long gig - I could have watched them all night - but I think it was about 2 and 1/2, maybe 3/4.

I had high expectations being such a long-term admirer - and they even surprised me - just a great experience.

Sound was muddy in block 110,half way up,no drums at all and very echo-ey,as stated above the bass also vanished once the band kicked in but was great on it`s own. Think the first set was for the fans who`ve seen them a lot recently and don`t want to see the same songs all the time,I enjoyed it but the atmosphere seemed a bit lacking. The Clockwork Angels set with the strings blew me away,and the encores were back to classics,and I thought the "visuals" were my favouite of any recent tour. And the song The Garden was just beautiful with the background effects.

I could have been in the 3rd row Alex side (colleague with connexions), told me he'd be in touch with a ticket. I think I must have pissed him off or summat, never heard a word. Should I be regretful? I am sort of, but I've seen them a few times, never up close though. The've been my favourite band for 30 odd years.

Just a shame how regularly one hears reports of poor sound in these large venues depending on ones location . The punter, and a band like Rush deserve better.
Buy a faulty piece of bass kit and it can be returned, however there is no reimbursement when it comes to a poor sounding gig. Sucks!

I was in block 102 row B. I thought the sound was awful. The bass was all boom. All I could hear was guitars. I left pretty disappointed. They played ok...I just couldn't hear any of it! A few people around all said the same. It was just too loud. Set list was great though.