Why become a member? ×

Matching headstocks

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1368966643' post='2083442']
Cool. But why not do the back of the headstock and neck too while you're at it?
[/quote]

Both my Vigier and Yamaha are done on the back. But the necks are painted, too. Hell, they even did the sides, too. And the fretboards match! :)
I know some hate painted necks, but it bothers me not one iota.

[/quote]

Sure why not. Works for my fireglo 4003.

Edited by 1970

[/quote]

Because , at the risk of stating the obvious , that would be a painted neck , not a matching headstock . The contrast is what gives it the effect and makes it look so good . Let me put it to you the other way round - what is it about an unpainted neck you find so offensive ? Why the need for uniformity ? On some basses a painted neck looks great , like a Musicman Bongo or Rickenbacker Blackstar for example , but on a Fender it would look very , very wrong .

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1368968993' post='2083479']
My Ibanez Verdine White Signature bass has a painted headstock and neck. It's the only bass i have like that but somehow it works.
[/quote]

I always liked the look of those ! You have got some nice basses .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368973246' post='2083552']
Because , at the risk of stating the obvious , that would be a painted neck , not a matching headstock . The contrast is what gives it the effect and makes it look so good . Let me put it to you the other way round - what is it about an unpainted neck you find so offensive ? Why the need for uniformity ? On some basses a painted neck looks great , like a Musicman Bongo or Rickenbacker Blackstar for example , but on a Fender it would look very , very wrong .
[/quote]

I just think it looks cheap. Like a very obvious cost cutting exercise. In the 60s and 70s the only common electric instruments that didn't have necks that in some way matched the body were Fenders (and their copies). To me they were always the ugly odd ones out.

[/quote]

Totally agree. In this regard my Bongo is well behaved and my Sterling is a naughty child!

CB

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368973246' post='2083552']
On some basses a painted neck looks great ..... but on a Fender it would look very , very wrong .
[/quote]
It would sound wrong too....being a Fender :-) <awaits incoming>

CB

On a Jazz Bass, yes. On a Precision, no thanks.

Also, it depends on the colour for me as well. Black matching headstocks just look wrong IMO, so you can guess how I feel about something like this:

[url="http://hotrf.eu/userfiles/productimages/product_2736.jpg"]http://hotrf.eu/userfiles/productimages/product_2736.jpg[/url]

Edited by Jono Bolton