Why become a member? ×

Matching headstocks

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1368977213' post='2083601']
I think you can get a matte finish to shine to the right amount but a super gloss finish grips unless you flat it off a tad.
[/quote]

You know, I was thinking about this the other day. It started because I quite fancied buying Marcus Bell's honeyburst StingRay. But I'd prefer the gloss finish. Then I got thinking "why do people say that the MusicMan satin maple finish is so much faster?"

And all I could think is that the gloss finish is bad for folks with sweaty hands. This may be why I never had any issue with the gloss neck on my old Jazz or Stingray.

CB

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1368977213' post='2083601']
I think you can get a matte finish to shine to the right amount but a super gloss finish grips unless you flat it off a tad.
[/quote]

I really don't understand this. Flattening it off adds thousands of tiny little scratches to what would otherwise be a nearly perfectly smooth surface. How can that have less friction?

Try sliding a finger over a gloss wall tile, then a satin one. The squeek of clean glass is the grip grabbing and slipping.Anyone who has worked in a body shop will tell you a gloss finish has more grip than a satin one. Think of a tyre, the grippy race ones are slick, treaded tyres have less contact area hence less grip unless its wet because the tread removes water leaving less contact than a slick in the dry but much more than a slick with a layer of water between it and the tarmac. Make sense?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1368984847' post='2083691']
I'm not suggesting anyone put grooves or grip tape on the neck, I'm talking 1200-2000 grade wet and dry.
[/quote]

:-) You've just eliminated from my consideration any basses you may happen to advertise on here! :-)

CB

Personally, I couldn't give a rats ass what the neck looks like, as long as it feels right. I don't generally get on with painted necks, too sticky (and I'm really not sweaty at all).

Like Pete said, 1200 grit paper makes a maple neck that's gone shiny over time feel silky smooth again, although I must confess I've only ever done it on cheap instruments!

• 6 months later...