Why become a member? ×

Stringing Through The Body v Stringing Through The Bridge

Dingus

Do people find stringing through the body really does give more tension ( or at least a tighter feel ) than through the back of the bridge on basses that have both options ? I have been experimenting with this myself recently and I have reached the stage where I am not sure whether I am just imagining more tension when strung through the body because I have read that this is the case , or if in fact it does make the strings feel tighter . What have you found ?

Edited by Dingus

I have 4 basses with the option to do either. It definitely gives a tighter feel due to the break angle at the saddles being sharper. You will find it much harder to stretch/pull excess string from past the saddle. I prefer through-body, because it allows me to use lighter gauges without too much flop and fret buzz :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1368898708' post='2082838']
I have 4 basses with the option to do either. It definitely gives a tighter feel due to the break angle at the saddles being sharper. You will find it much harder to stretch/pull excess string from past the saddle. I prefer through-body, because it allows me to use lighter gauges without too much flop and fret buzz :)
[/quote]
Why would you be stretching/pulling excess string from past the saddle? That sounds bizarre. How hard are you pulling on your strings?

However, I like heavy gauge flats and and I play lightly. For me nothing is happening past the saddles or nut. If I want less compliance I move my right hand nearer the bridge; for more compliance I go nearer the neck.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1368900768' post='2082868']
Why would you be stretching/pulling excess string from past the saddle? That sounds bizarre. How hard are you pulling on your strings?

However, I like heavy gauge flats and and I play lightly. For me nothing is happening past the saddles or nut. If I want less compliance I move my right hand nearer the bridge; for more compliance I go nearer the neck.
[/quote]

I have a more aggressive right hand technique, to get that 'string hitting the fret' clanky sound. Also, if you bend the strings that can do it too. Good point about moving your hand near the bridge though!

There is a compliance difference, but it varies depending on the not through strung style you are comparing to. I've not really spent enough time with two piece bridges to really know, but in theory should be a similar deal. I think the main thing is with through strung, its much harder to do it wrong, unlikely to have poor break angle etc.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1368922001' post='2083146']
If there was more tension there would be higher pitch, that's how strings work.

It's a lot of silly bollocks.
[/quote]

Tension is a word that's misused a lot. The word is compliance, as Mr F says above.

Edited by chrismuzz

Can't say I've noticed on the L2500 fretless, and it makes it a bugger to find Elixirs that fit. It also removes 5 screws from the bridge mount so it is the strings & two screws that hold the bridge on instead of seven

I can`t tell the difference. I had my Precision strung through the bridge, then decided to change that and string through the body. Bear in mind it`s the same set of strings, couldn`t make out any difference at all.

My own take on things is that it does make a very slight difference to the feel of the string but so little that I still questioning whether it is actually real or imagined , and as ever , it probably makes a bigger difference on some basses than others . I am perfectly willing to believe it doesent make any real difference , but then there is a chorus of opinion from people who seem know what they are talking about that says it does give a tighter feel , be that tension or compliance . Mike Lull uses through - body stringing just for the low B string on his five strings to tighten it up a bit , and plenty of other manufacturers swear by thorugh. - body stringing for the same reason . Bass Player Magazine seem admant that it makes a difference too , and who am I to disagree with them ?

Edited by Dingus

One of my 6 strings has individual string bridges like this:

If I string through the bridge, when I play particularly hard, the entire saddle (the white bit) moves no matter how tightly I screw it on. It's not possibleto dothat when strung through the body (I tried!) Won't affect many decently designed bridges, but it's something to consider if you're a heavy handed lunk :lol:

Edited by chrismuzz

Have you tried stringing through the neck?

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/PiercingSpecial2_zps7d8e42df.png.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/PiercingSpecial2_zps7d8e42df.png[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1368922616' post='2083152']Tension is a word that's misused a lot. The word is compliance, as Mr F says above.[/quote]

Right. So if you string a bass through the body you add, what an inch or so to the length of the string and this makes it more elastic. If it's a linear relationship then I suppose on a 34" scale bass the string might be 3% more elastic. Is that enough to even notice? And why would you want a string to be more elastic?

I guess this means the best bass design for a decent B string is a headless.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1368996391' post='2083849']
Right. So if you string a bass through the body you add, what an inch or so to the length of the string and this makes it more elastic. If it's a linear relationship then I suppose on a 34" scale bass the string might be 3% more elastic. Is that enough to even notice? And why would you want a string to be more elastic?
[/quote]

Since the break angle is so sharp on a through body bass, it would make it less elastic. The angle is usually around 60 degrees, whereas on a through bridge design it's closer to 20 degrees. The same thing goes on at the headstock, which is why many Fender style basses have those string retainers up there, to increase the break angle.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1368996391' post='2083849']
I guess this means the best bass design for a decent B string is a headless.
[/quote]

Actually, that is probably right!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1368996625' post='2083852']
Its one factor of many. A 35" scale bass isn't that much longer than a 34" one, but people deal with the harder to play because of the sound. People also go lighter strings for more compliance, in spite of the thinner tone.
[/quote]

Yep. I actually prefer the sound of lighter strings, I don't need bags of low end. I also prefer LESS compliance! So where possible I prefer 35" scale, through body stringing, and light gauge strings! :gas:

Mustangs have a bridge for thru stringing, my other 30" short scales don't. I can use thomastik jf324 on my mustang but not on the others. This is why I will probably get my squier VM jag SS converted to thru stringing - just so that I can use thomastiks. I'd prefer it if they made a 30" set though.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368898452' post='2082832']
Do people find stringing through the body really does give more tension ( or at least a tighter feel ) than through the back of the bridge on basses that have both options ? I have been experimenting with this myself recently and I have reached the stage where I am not sure whether I am just imagining more tension when strung through the body because I have read that this is the case , or if in fact it does make the strings feel tighter . What have you found ?
[/quote]

Given a fixed string mass and a fixed vibrating length you will always need the same tension to get the same note, so no it cannot have any effect.