Why become a member? ×

Kingbass

marcus bell

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1368350774' post='2075876']
I can honestly say that, after owning dozens of basses (I am too scared to actually count) the best I have ever done is to break even. I must be doing something wrong!
[/quote]

Yep. If you'd kept all your early Fenders, Wals and MusicMen, what would they be worth now? :-)

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1368320974' post='2075723']
I bought a Squier jazz from Marcus a few years back - I'd say a King bass suits him fine - seemed apparent to me the guy can play.
[/quote]

Ah, there you are - he wants that Jazz back, also. See seperate thread :)

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1368354224' post='2075935']
Yep. If you'd kept all your early Fenders, Wals and MusicMen, what would they be worth now? :-)

Coincidentally, just this weekend, if my conscience permitted me (which it doesn't), then I could have bought a rare and sought-after bass, which looked to be in unusually great condition, for under £1000 which I'm confident I could have sold on here for £1500 without anyone raising an eyebrow.

CB
[/quote]
That's the problem...I was too impulsive when I were a lad!

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' timestamp='1368390026' post='2076545']
100% with you.

{removed by Rich}[/quote]

Calm down son, you need to look at this sh*t FAR more philosophically if you are to even nibble at the little toenail of your user name.

Edited by Rich
Insult in quote removed

I think it is up to the person how they spend there own money. And as for selling of basses I think for example that if somebody bought a bass on here for £500 and kept posting how good it was blah blah blah and then a week later tried to sell it on here for say £700 I think in my opinion its morally wrong but personally I just keep it to myself and move on and look for another item. We can all decide for ourselves if we think someones taking the pee and if they are I am guessing there bass wont sell? And I guess we all lust after things whether it is a car a bass etc etc I think as long as no ones getting hurt or anything its up to the person what they buy but that's just my personal opinion.

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1368416305' post='2076786']
I think it is up to the person how they spend there own money. And as for selling of basses I think for example that if somebody bought a bass on here for £500 and kept posting how good it was blah blah blah and then a week later tried to sell it on here for say £700 I think in my opinion its morally wrong but personally I just keep it to myself and move on and look for another item. We can all decide for ourselves if we think someones taking the pee and if they are I am guessing there bass wont sell? And I guess we all lust after things whether it is a car a bass etc etc I think as long as no ones getting hurt or anything its up to the person what they buy but that's just my personal opinion.
[/quote]

We had a debate not long ago, when a member took the step to admit that they had an issue with their buying behaviour, and had begun to get themselves into difficulties.

At the time, I think the outcome was that it remained the individual's business - but, it's only human to care, and I just like to question and make sure... My own personal failing :)

Pick up Status
Play Mark King Riff
Remember you're not Mark king
Put down Status
Pick up Status
Play Muse Octave thingy
Realise it doesnt sound the same without a load of effects processing
Put down Status
Walk away

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1368348136' post='2075835']
I think if someone really really REALLY wanted a bass...they'd have it.
[/quote]

+1 it's your money, it's your life you don't need anyones else's permission ( ....apart from she who must be obeyed of course)

Never played any Status, but a 5 string headless King Bass with the bendwell (hence 32" scale), and 16.5mm string spacing would tick all the boxes for me.

No idea what it would sound like, but I would still sound poor to middling. Would love to have one, but no way that my level or frequency of playing justifies that amount of money.

And I wouldn't want to slap it or play Muse on it.

[quote name='Pukie' timestamp='1368446504' post='2077081']
Pick up Status
Play Mark King Riff
Remember you're not Mark king
Put down Status
Pick up Status
Play Muse Octave thingy
Realise it doesnt sound the same without a load of effects processing
Put down Status
Walk away
[/quote]

Pick up Status
Play whatever you want. Be happy.

:)

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1368286604' post='2075330']
Theres a bit of a moral/ethics problem in this which can be frowned upon here. You may find some people are ok with it [b]but expect some people not to be.[/b]

That is to say if the value of your trades and cash didn't equal upto the amount you're selling for
[/quote]

That will be people who love to stick their beaks into other people's business which really ought to be no concern of theirs.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368477125' post='2077616']

That will be people who love to stick their beaks into other people's business which really ought to be no concern of theirs.
[/quote]

I thought they were concerned because they were being kind and handing out good advice?

Marcus, if its a Kingbass you want, its a Kingbass you shall have, I have no problem with you chopping and changing, bit surprised about the Stingray and to be honest your price as mentioned is very optimistic, but hey, good luck, I certainly wouldn't insult you for your changing bass habits lol, whilst its not for me, I hope all works out, and the Status is a go.

I don't think there's any moral issue here. If I was to "win" a Stingray on ebay for £450 (it does happen, but not to me), I'd have no qualms about advertising it for £850 with the full expectation that I'll be haggled down to £650 to £750. Which is the going rate for them... If I had a bass that should go for £900 I'd advertise it for £1050.

I'd probably take a few more months than Marcus did to sell it on, and I only buy with the intent to keep them, but that's just me.

There is a cautionary tale in this though... if you're buying to sell on and make a profit, or to try something out for a while and not lose out financially, you've got to do your research. If you search for Stingrays on ebay, you'll often see ten to twenty of them, most priced BIN at £850 to £1100. They don't sell. It's [i]completed listings[/i] you need to check for an idea of actual market value. You've also got to have an idea of whether there are rarer models or options that give it extra value. What's the going rate for a Copperhead Bronze stingray, or a single H Martini Green Bongo?

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1368514241' post='2077808']
I thought they were concerned because they were being kind and handing out good advice?
[/quote]

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here - I am not (and never was) referring directly to the poster who I quoted by the way, just to the particular point which I took the time to highlight in bold.

If not then allow me to retort - leaning on people with a less than friendly "we frown upon people making money on here" isn't good advice, it's repugnant self interest.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368520245' post='2077861']

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here - I am not (and never was) referring directly to the poster who I quoted by the way, just to the particular point which I took the time to highlight in bold.

If not then allow me to retort - leaning on people with a less than friendly "we frown upon people making money on here" isn't good advice, it's repugnant self interest.
[/quote]

I see what you mean. I personally wasn't interested in that part of the story but GAS and collecting and replacing instruments does interest me from a psychological pint of view. I thought there was a little bit of counselling going on in the earlier posts which I found quite charming.

I love headless basses, and the status ones I have tried are the best I have found.
I don't think they are toys...just very well made basses and as I am really short with tiny hands (don;t snigger at the back!) the 32" streamlines really work for me.

I play blues and occasionally indie.

But I went to the factory and tried out some of them before I bought. Glad I did, as the Kingbass really doesn't work for me. Something about the short top horn.