Why become a member? ×

G&L Tribute L-2000... any good?

CamdenRob

Morning All.

I've been looking for a four string as I miss playing slap (can't fit my fingers between the strings on my sixer, due to a combination of inexperiance and poor technique)

The Gallery have a G&L Tribute L-2000 (the korean ones) I'm thinking or trying out. Are these any good? nice slap tone? decent build quality?

Thanks

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1367505061' post='2066092']
They are excellent. Very under rated and amazing value for money. I'd take mine over a US Fender any day.
[/quote]

Played one in my local and damn, very versatile basses.

Like the comment quoted, although made in Indonesia they play like American Fenders.

BSB

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1367479414' post='2066087']
Morning All.

I've been looking for a four string as I miss playing slap (can't fit my fingers between the strings on my sixer, due to a combination of inexperiance and poor technique)

The Gallery have a G&L Tribute L-2000 (the korean ones) I'm thinking or trying out. Are these any good? nice slap tone? decent build quality?

Thanks
[/quote]

Never heard a single bad word said against them. I see McNach has one, and I may well pay him a visit just to play it :D

I saw this the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzU_27OnabE

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your input gents.

Finally got a chance to drop in and try this out on Saturday. Felt good & sounded good in the shop. I always find it difficult to get a proper feel for a bass without your own amp set up etc.. Took a punt and bought it though.

After a bit of setting up I'm really pleased with it, need to sus out the controls properly though, there are so many different knobs and switches it almost guarentees I'm using it in a sub optimal way...

More fun to be had next weekend sitting at home twiddling with knobs...

I can't really help, my L-2000 is modified to give me single coil (parallel) operation, but I would say that you could start with all knobs at about 80% of their travel. Experiment with parallel/series to see which you prefer (series is a fatter, louder sound, parallel is a bit more subtle). Try series at about 80% volume then switch to parallel and up the volume knob to match and see what you prefer and to hear the differences at the same perceived volume. I generally favour series when I'm not in single coil mode, often when in a live band context. I rarely use the active switch (the one nearest the bridge), I leave it passive pretty much all the time.

I have one arriving this week off ebay. A good few years ago I owned a US L2000 but sold it on due to the crazy narrow neck. (It made a Jazz bass seem fat)! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. I have no idea if its a MiK or MiI one. Any differences? I did however own a MiI Tribute Jazz type bass for a while and the quality was first class.

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1368447515' post='2077108']
I have one arriving this week off ebay. A good few years ago I owned a US L2000 but sold it on due to the crazy narrow neck. (It made a Jazz bass seem fat)! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. I have no idea if its a MiK or MiI one. Any differences? I did however own a MiI Tribute Jazz type bass for a while and the quality was first class.
[/quote]

I think the MIK ones had "TRIBUTE" stamped on the bridges instead of the G&L logo and the headstock logo was more prominently labelled TRIBUTE like this:

Can't comment on any differences, only ever owned Indonesian made ones, both of which are excellent.

Funny how despite the options available, nearly all the US made L-2000s I've seen second hand have that skinny #8 neck. If I was getting a USA G&L made up, I'd go for the recently reissued #12 neck (1 5/8" (41.2mm) at the nut but the same depth/profile as the chunkier necks). My Tribute M-2000 has this neck and it's super comfy, lovely halfway between too skinny and the sheer bulk (which I don't mind) on the Tribute L-2000.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned a lefty tribute L2000 for a few months now and its a fine bass. It's very well put together and comfortable to play. it needed a bit of setting up though and I put this down to their not being a lefty player to set it up at the factory where it was made! I felt quite at home with what is quite a wide neck at the nut end. It was reminiscent of an MM Stingray i once owned and played for years. Sound-wise it has some great tones, i've yet to work out all the combinations. I usually roll off the bass a tad as it has quite a kick when full on.