Why become a member? ×

How many Bands is too many?

Mr Fretbuzz

I'm currently playing in three bands and also do the occasional session or dep gig whenever they come along.
I'm trying to recording my own material at the moment too.

It isn't too bad as the bands don't rehearse too often, once a week or once every two weeks.

It's not the number of bands but the number of gigs/recording sessions you can commit to. You could be in 3 bands and not gig as often as someone who has one very busy band. Once it gets to a point where you are conciously compromising one in favour of another then it's probably getting 1 too many. I'm currently just in 1, could probably take on a bit more work but I try to avoid gigging every single weekend.

1 and 2 halves, plus a lot of dep work at the mo.

2 halves as these 2 bands I am technically in, but they almost never get together to rehearse, and have as yet not gigged, i haven't the heart to leave them, so let them think they have a band. Until they inevitably just give up.
:)

For me at the moment, two bands but have done three.

However, at the moment, I'm starting to feel the two is over committing because of the situation at home. Mrs F is a contractor and is currently working away Monday to Thursday nights which means whenever I need to rehearse during the week, I need to get a baby sitter for little Miss F at £30 a pop. That's not a problem for the one band where I'm absolutely head over heels in love with, not so much with the other band that I've kinda lost the desire for. It's further exasperated by the fact that both bands quite rightly expect equal rights on my availability and commitment, meaning two rehearsals in a week could potentially cost me a lot of cash in baby sitting before I even pay for the rehearsal fees.

There's a thread I'm drafting now which details the exact dilemma over "letting people down" etc but I guess that there comes a point at which, despite the love of playing in bands etc, the practical aspects of time away from home, cost and my responsibilities of being a parent need to be the priority #toooldtorocknroll

T

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1367231397' post='2062758']
...2 bands I am technically in, but they almost never get together to rehearse, and have as yet not gigged, I haven't the heart to leave them, so let them think they have a band. Until they inevitably just give up...
[/quote]

It's nice that you're kind enough to let them down lightly, but don't you feel a bit like some sort of malevolent cuckoo, letting everything proceed apparently as normal until the situation inevitably goes tits-up - then fly off to usurp another nest??

Or is this just a flight of fancy brought on by these new meds that I think I may have taken a double dose of by mistake? :crazy:

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1367231783' post='2062765']
There's a thread I'm drafting now which details the exact dilemma over "letting people down" etc but I guess that there comes a point at which, despite the love of playing in bands etc, the practical aspects of time away from home, cost and my responsibilities of being a parent need to be the priority #toooldtorocknroll
[/quote]

IMO you're never too old to rock n roll. It's just that your priorities have changed. But don't ever equate that with age.

[quote name='L_Bass_Dog85' timestamp='1367233631' post='2062807']
One is enough! My secondary band seems to have fizzled out naturally...
[/quote]

It's great when nature takes its course! ;) [size=4]One is definitely enough, though. I don't see how you can give more than one band your full attention and commitment, to be honest. [/size] :)

Edited by discreet

A couple of years ago I was in 7 bands plus deps. 2 of these were regular midweek gigs which didn't interfere with anyone else but the weekends were manageable because the other bands weren't always working and depping out was ok for most situations.

Two bands have gone and I think another fizzled out last week, through lack of interest, so I'm now down to 4.

I like the variety and the challenge of playng different styles with different people.

I'd be bored stiff playing in just one band.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1367232085' post='2062771']
It's nice that you're kind enough to let them down lightly, but don't you feel a bit like some sort of malevolent cuckoo, letting everything proceed apparently as normal until the situation inevitably goes tits-up - then fly off to usurp another nest??

Or is this just a flight of fancy brought on by these new meds that I think I may have taken a double dose of by mistake? :crazy:
[/quote]

Slightly, but if they get their arses in gear, it could be quite a fun band to be in. But in the last 18 months we have rehearsed exactly 3 times, and never with the same vocalist. And the other one have yet to do anything, in about 8 months. Also might be a chuckle.
People ask me to play in their bands a lot, and i'm crap at saying no, but quite good at leaving at the exactly wrong moment.
I am not proud of this. I think i can do more than I can, which is why I now say, "I will dep for you whenever I am free" rather than "yes i will join your band".
:)

one band is enough for me, dealing with lack of commitment and ego's takes away a lot of the pleasure, do a bit of open micing that way I can please myself without letting anybody else down.

edit, it came out a lot more bitter than it was supposed too

Edited by PaulWarning

I have found time for 2, it can be a bit of a strain when you have to put one first.
The reason I took on another band is that nothing more than practising and the odd gig here and there was happening with my original band!
I wanted to be a little more active in playing- live and recording and the other band is a lot more active in those ways.. Tho I'd dare say I much prefer the stuff we do in the band that's less active :( Strange isn't it!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1367239799' post='2062962']Brilliant! This is one for the BC famous quotes thread.[/quote]

:lol: So is this:

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1367244228' post='2063047']...makes us sound like turds landing in a rubbish bin![/quote]

Edited by discreet

I was in two, but left one a couple of months back - so down to one now.

We do gig regularly, so it does it all for me. The other band was creatively interesting, but lack of work, and the fact we never seemed to get together much did it for me.

I find it easier to focus one one for now - may change again in the future, but I've been going through of a bit of a 'miffed' phase with the whole thing of late - so the one band is what I can enjoy, and just sit back for a bit!

It was the politics of the other band which made it all worse! :lol:[size=4] [/size]